Charles W Morgan by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th scale

• 2 weeks later...

I got the catheads in place.  Now I am going along each side of the ship to add all the cleats, sheaves, chocks, ports, etc. before finishing the deckhouses and the like.  Hopefully  I will find them all and not have to add something impossible to reach in the middle of rigging. 

CC5D147C-667F-4752-8F60-D0EC0056ADA5.jpeg

Coming along nicely. One word of warning - there is an incredible number of items to be added along the side of the hull - davits for the boats, standards for the roof etc etc. It's a bit of a challenge fitting them all in around the deadeyes etc. Be sure of your spacing before gluing anything on. If you just move from one end to the other, there will be some error creep. There will be a need for small adjustment as you go. Don't ask me how I know this!

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

That's probably a good idea. The davits are a bit fragile and I broke more than one. However, make sure you know ahead of time exactly where they're going to go. They have to be spaced a precise distance apart to fit the length of the boats and if you're not very careful, you'll find, for example, that one needs to go exactly where one of the channels is!

I cut strips of masking tape the same width as all the various components and stuck them on the hull and moved them about as necessary until I had placements that worked. If your hull is like mine there will be some minor variance from the plan in places.

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

36 minutes ago, ragove said:

I’m afraid if I do the boat davits too early I will break them off😬 I will probably wait until much later. Maybe after rigging the lower masts

I agree, I have already placed my Davits and Back Spars and have had to repair them several times. It looks to me like it will make rigging more difficult. However, I agree with David, now is the time to get the placement marked and notch out the Main Rail, Sheer Molding and Channels for there placement later. Looking good... 👍

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

• 2 weeks later...

After drilling holes for the shrouds in the first channel I decided it would be better to wait until I was rigging to ensure the holes end up in the correct locations.  All the davits and such will go in much later in the build or I will surely break them off.  Starboard is in good shape, and the channels are installed on the port side also. I think I’ll go back to finishing the deck furnishings next. 

DBAFFBB7-947A-4E5F-B52A-8AA88234A8C9.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good, nice work on the skylight!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

• 2 weeks later...

That forward wall fits nicely. I found that to be a particularly finicky thing to do on mine. Did you make a cardboard template? I must have gone through ream of cardboard until I had a template that fit.

Looks great!

David

1 hour ago, David Lester said:

That forward wall fits nicely. I found that to be a particularly finicky thing to do on mine. Did you make a cardboard template? I must have gone through ream of cardboard until I had a template that fit.

Looks great!

David

Many pieces of cardboard and sheet wood.  What finally worked was using multiple pieces pushed in to fit.  Something like those contour finding tools with all the fine sliding pins, only much cruder.  Even then the final piece needed lots of fiddling to get right

Thanks for sharing your work on this.  Did you consider insetting the walls into the deck as opposed to having the walls sitting on top of it?  It's a little tricky as the kit doesn't have a sub-deck on which to add the planking.  I have been working on other projects, but have been thinking about how to handle the deck and various deck items.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

23 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Thanks for sharing your work on this.  Did you consider insetting the walls into the deck as opposed to having the walls sitting on top of it?  It's a little tricky as the kit doesn't have a sub-deck on which to add the planking.  I have been working on other projects, but have been thinking about how to handle the deck and various deck items.

Actually, for all the other structures, I did cut away the deck and put  coamings around.  For some reason it never occurred to me to do that for the galley and stuff at the aft.  Its too late now.  I will have to fake it.  Just building these structures will try one's patience to the limit, without the added difficulty of fitting into a cut away deck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...