Charles W Morgan by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th scale

3 hours ago, Papa said:

First try at harpoons 

2A65A5A7-4E5B-40D7-A022-F10954041C55.jpeg

They look nice, if a bit long (the flues). If those squares on the cutting mat are centimeters, these are tiny harpoons indeed! It is extremely hard to work at such scales.

Are you planning to paint them, add some rigging or whale-line, or dye the wooden shafts?

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

21 hours ago, Papa said:

Building a fife rail.   I was surprised there where no castings other than the 3 stanchions 

4DD42C02-B249-43D9-BCFE-048CD662CC84.jpeg

36188F04-7172-47A1-AE7F-835F26C7F5DF.jpeg

1BD599B7-E910-482B-A162-737783ACB14E.jpeg

Looking great. None of the three MSW kits I've done or am working on provide many castings. I think the boundary condition for providing a casting is "can't be readily made with hand tools". That's fine with me, and it seems to be a distinction with some other manufacturers.

George K

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

On 8/3/2021 at 4:51 PM, Papa said:

The knee braces were a devil to make

Yesterday (8/21) I rediscovered that the kit has laser cut knee braces. That’s what happens when years separate reviewing kit contents and actual construction. 😬😳. Oh well.  Good practice toward a complete scratch build someday. 

When I attempted to install the bilge pumps I discovered that the “thick pad” at the main mast was in fact too thick.  There is supposed to be a thick pad in the laser cut parts but i never found it and scratch built one. I initially cut it short and patched it.  I was never happy with the patch.  ☹️  Well, now i had a good excuse to redo it.  It meant taking out the fife rail, but i wasn't happy with that either. The stanchions were crooked.  So 2 steps forward and 6 steps back.   

6991D9C3-FD4B-4C5B-81E2-34702A7C5627.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Papa said:

Well, now i had a good excuse to redo it.  It meant taking out the fife rail, but i wasn't happy with that either. The stanchions were crooked.  So 2 steps forward and 6 steps back.

That’s how it goes when you pursue perfection. You are on that path… Looking good. A bit of OCD is in all of us. LOL 😆 GOOD JOB 👍 

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

I noticed recently that  the plans for Morgan have harpoon and lance drawings.  Mine are grossly out of scale; but they aren’t visible thankfully. I will have to be more careful adding them to the whale boats.  I’ve been working on those whale boats! 😜Going from the bread and butter stacks to something that looks like a whale boat is far from easy. I only can hope to end up with 7 “boats” that look reasonably alike. Many hours of sanding  and carving are ahead.😬

0A662B28-B8BD-4D3E-BA8F-D01859660AF7.jpeg

28699374-2B7B-4147-8264-DB46C7C924D3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done!  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, domcath said:

What size scribed sheets did you use and where did you but them?

I don’t understand the question.  The boats are made from laser part parts that are stacked together.  One then has to carve them to shape.  I made a template for the bow and stern shape based in the plans.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, domcath said:

What size scribed sheets did you use and where did you but them?

If you are referring to the deck houses,  i got the scribed sheets at model expo i think.  1/32 scribing

On 10/9/2021 at 5:46 PM, Papa said:

making slow progress. 

Ron, I don’t recall any time line specified for any projects on this site your work is looking great. One of the things I like about this hobby is “who cares” how long it takes? We are in it for the end results and you are looking good. 👍

52 minutes ago, Papa said:

Almost 2 months and i am still working on the whale boats. It is like have 7 individual sold hull kits 

26B595FA-774C-4055-B38D-99573F4794A4.jpeg

Seven hulls in miniature. 😆 You are doing great Ron, I like these better than the metal/lead boats that I had to add wood parts. Took me a month or two to do those as well. Your time is well spent, they look great. 👍