Charles W Morgan by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th scale

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 step forward 5 steps backwards😫.  this is what happens when one fails to make careful measurements.  Had to rip out the guts and start over. The stern is more or less correct.  Some more detail needs to be added.  Would the whale boats have been hung on the davits with the tiller and rudder in place?

whale boats.jpg

Edited by Papa

1 hour ago, Papa said:

Would the whale bots have been hung on the davits with the tiller and rudder in place?

Ron, I mounted the boats on the davits ready to be launched. The rudder is pulled up on the side. This is how they would have  been on the whaling grounds. Sorry about the rework, but I understand details are important. 👍

image.thumb.jpeg.77b7b4564b5eac048fbbc1d744b199e6.jpeg

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Hi papa   ive been following along for sometime now and i reckon your doing a fine job  ,i must admit the one part of model ship building i find hard  is the repetition of certain parts   so i would find the whale boats  challenging    i have just finished my cannons on my granado and i struggled towards the end of them ( theres only ten  )   .  Would you mind if i pointed out a youtube channel that maybe of interest to you ?  ,its  TJ Lauria    he is  currently running a series on building a model whale boat  ,i dont mean it as a tutorial just maybe of some interest     ,and i also think his channel deserves  a bit of merit   i particulaly like his  pace of explanation    , sorry if you already know  of him  but maybe some others reading this dont      keep up the good work          cheers   sticker

On 12/3/2021 at 7:52 PM, John Ruy said:

I mounted the boats on the davits ready to be launched.

Couple of questions:  1. how did you hang the rudders?.  I am trying to visualize how to mount them so they  would appear to be able to swing into place.

2. Do the davits interfere with rigging? I am concerned that if I attach the davits now, i will keep breaking them as I rig the ship.  I am thinking of putting the davits and hanging the boats as a  last step.

Ron,

Here is a photo of my MS Whaleboat build. They would remove the tiller and pull the rudder up out of it’s hing with the rope across the stern. Swing the rudder around with a second rope attached lower on the rudder. 

5920178F-D80F-490E-9944-E141374A2437.thumb.jpeg.8bfd96b53bef8b2ba63b21fb2e0a791a.jpeg

Here is how I did the smaller scale CWM Whaleboats. Your boats are a bit larger scale you may want more detail. 

A947910B-90E1-427B-B914-E54A7A75E14F.thumb.jpeg.f5db3cbd4e9e930e1f8675242f4af214.jpeg

CB5C4C5F-5E5E-49A9-AF8E-958B9121DF7A.thumb.jpeg.9e730419386b5d45f4a1ca47f89120ce.jpeg

I worked the rigging around the Davits, however I did have to repair some. 😆

I would definitely wait and mount the Davits and boats as a lay step.

FEE3DB40-09C2-4431-89F2-5A5BE29000ED.thumb.jpeg.df01492640fde539fc5ac32dc9d2abca.jpeg

Hope this helps.

John

I was never happy with the white pinstripes i did.  I always seem to make a mess with masking, and the free hand was too messy.  Ugh.  I purchased a 1/16” chart tape from Model Expo a while ago and sat down today to finally put it on,   I think it is worlds better!

DE1BB193-0CD7-4935-88C2-87F05CC452E2.jpeg

8FA4B5A1-89AA-40B2-80EE-B58456787D1A.jpeg

Edited by Papa
Replace incorrect image

The tape worked great!  That was a concern I had with my Morgan build - how to make the white lines look even.  That was a big part of my decision to use separately colored woods - no paint and taping necessary, just switch woods (I’m going to use holly for the white areas).

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 7:14 PM, John Ruy said:

Good job!!

Actually not so good.  I decided the mainmast rake was bad and on top of that, the main top was slopped excessively.  I had tried to mount it so that it would look level when the mast was mounted with the proper rake.   I seem to have over compensated.  It looked bad and every day when i looked at it it looked worse.  It could no longer be ignored. Today I attempted to remove the mast.  Bad idea. It split rather than coming out and broke the fife rail on top of that.  I requested some replacement parts from Model Expo and will have to make the lower mainmast again.  Oh, and drill out the stub left in the hole.   Totally bad day.  I think i will take a week or three off from the Morgan and build something else.  Maybe i’ll paint some rocks 😬🤬🤯

1B47C9F0-DDD9-41C1-A220-20352F24DF62.jpeg

Sorry to hear this Ron, some times things look better in a photograph than they do in real life. Glad you are taking the time to do it right. Good luck with your repairs, sometimes we have to step back and take another look. Repairs are a necessary part of this hobby, it always leads to perfection.

I know, been there done that. 🍻

Ouch!

I feel your pain. 
On the other hand, I will be interested to learn how you fix it. 
Good luck. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa