Genesis by Omega1234 - 1/300 - 49m Mega Yacht - 8 inches long - Finished

I just found your new build, Patrick, and it looks like you're well on your way to another masterpiece!  Looking forward to watching your progress.

My...  that hull shape looks like something for a science fiction spacecraft.  You've managed to get the complexity of the shape, Patrick.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark

I have to agree with you on that one.  She’s definitely a weird one, that’s for sure...but, for some reason, totally fascinating.  I mean, who would’ve even conceived of such a design in the first place?  Someone with the right blend of genius and imagination, I reckon.

Have a great week.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

3 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

I mean, who would’ve even conceived of such a design in the first place?

and with a vivid imagination and the considerable CAD skills to make it work :)  You have done well to get that shape Patrick.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Sorry for being AWOL Patrick but I had other pressing things to do. However, I I am, all caught up and pulling up a stump to watch this magnificent yacht take shape.

Love the lines of this ship, you have chosen well.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

10 hours ago, BANYAN said:

and with a vivid imagination and the considerable CAD skills to make it work :)  You have done well to get that shape Patrick.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat-you’re absolutely right about those CAD skills and imagination.  True James Bond stuff, if you ask me.

10 hours ago, bdgiantman2 said:

Maaaaaaannn, I miss a few days of checking blogs here on NRG and already you are this far with Genesis! Fast sailing, mate.  I will have to find a back seat to watch with my soda on the big-screen tv.

Brian :)

Hi Brian - Welcome on board!  There’s always plenty of viewing room, so it’s great to have you join the ship.

8 hours ago, Piet said:

Sorry for being AWOL Patrick but I had other pressing things to do. However, I I am, all caught up and pulling up a stump to watch this magnificent yacht take shape.

Love the lines of this ship, you have chosen well.

Cheers,

Hi Piet - No need to apologise.  I recall reading from your Java Log where you mentioned that you were flat out!  Great to have you onboard.  

Thanks everyone one for your comments and Likes!

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi folks

A quick update.  I’ve done a quick mock-up of the superstructure just so that I could get a feel for how it all fits together.  

I know it’s just a bunch of rough balsa blocks at the moment, but, ‘out of rough things, good things grow’, I guess!

Thanks to all of you for your Likes and comments.

Much appreciated.  

Cheers. 

Patrick

1D49E7BE-CBD9-4464-947C-44A36FF4E16B.jpeg

C89FF7C9-ADC2-43FE-B816-942825B85E33.jpeg

9D28B0A8-9D68-4201-A321-4D3F0D34E9D0.jpeg

3D344DEF-60F0-49BC-9B9C-E1321A34D6C8.jpeg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Patrick.  Yes, rough balsa blocks, but I can see where you're going with the shape.  This will be another awesome build from your shipyard.

Yep, I begin to see it Patrick, she'll be a beauty!

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

1 hour ago, Piet said:

Yep, I begin to see it Patrick, she'll be a beauty!

Thanks Piet

The use of this mock-up has proven invaluable because I was finding it hard to visualise how it was going to fit together just by looking at the pictures and plans. 

At least now I can actually see in 3D exactly how I can build the superstructure and, more importantly how the decks can be made removable. 

I also like how the ship looks really low, squat and powerful when viewed from certain angles. 

Cheers. 

Patrick

20 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

I also like how the ship looks really low, squat and powerful when viewed from certain angles. 

I'm sure you've seen this link, Patrick, but 'low, squat, and powerful' seems to be exactly what the artist-designers had in mind.

https://www.palmerjohnson.com/design-2

Of course, as you're finding in your small-scale project, it doesn't come without construction challenges, even at full scale (so I've heard). Complex hull forms are innovative, for sure, but the tooling, materials, and build methods have yet to catch up... If only it was as easy full-scale to carve out a solid block and glass over it! With 3D printing and computer-controlled milling, it's probably not too far off for full scale type work.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

So the hull narrows in the middle and that narrowing is coverage by a facade?   Did I interpret that correctly?    <low whistle>  Holy cow.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Patrick,

Beautiful selection for your current adventure. Suitably ambitious. Now, if you could parlay your designs into an invitation to survey firsthand (and wouldn’t that be fun) . . . just a thought.

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Fascinating boat Patrick and it feels you ve captured the hull. I absolutely love the gold and black/grey colours! 

On 03/05/2018 at 6:37 AM, BenF89 said:

I'm sure you've seen this link, Patrick, but 'low, squat, and powerful' seems to be exactly what the artist-designers had in mind.

https://www.palmerjohnson.com/design-2

Of course, as you're finding in your small-scale project, it doesn't come without construction challenges, even at full scale (so I've heard). Complex hull forms are innovative, for sure, but the tooling, materials, and build methods have yet to catch up... If only it was as easy full-scale to carve out a solid block and glass over it! With 3D printing and computer-controlled milling, it's probably not too far off for full scale type work.

Hi Ben - Yep, you're right and thanks for that Link.  I've just about memorised every word and image in that link, because I've poured over it so much!  It's proven to be really useful in deciphering all the curves and lines.  Thank heavens for the Internet, hey?  

On 03/05/2018 at 2:08 PM, mtaylor said:

So the hull narrows in the middle and that narrowing is coverage by a facade?   Did I interpret that correctly?    <low whistle>  Holy cow.

Hi Mark - Now, you know why I was so apprehensive about the hull....it's a tricky little devil and damn hard to get your head around!  I think I'll need therapy once this build's over...;)

12 hours ago, DBorgens said:

Patrick,

Beautiful selection for your current adventure. Suitably ambitious. Now, if you could parlay your designs into an invitation to survey firsthand (and wouldn’t that be fun) . . . just a thought.

Thanks Dave - Hey, now that's a great thought.  I'm sure I could weasel my way onto the boat on the pretence that I'm a real big shot international model boat builder (not!).  Oh well, we can only dream, can't we?

18 minutes ago, vaddoc said:

Fascinating boat Patrick and it feels you ve captured the hull. I absolutely love the gold and black/grey colours! 

Hi Vaddoc.  Thanks for your comments.  I really like the gold as well; however, since my last boat, Shadow, was also gold, I may have to come up with another colour scheme.  Mmmmm, silver perhaps?

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi folks

Thanks for all of your Likes and comments.  

A quick update for you:  the shaping and fine tuning of the hull continues.  Looking at the close-up photos, I reckon I should re-name her to ‘Rough as Guts’, but never fear, that’s to be expected at this early stage.  

Heaps of fun fun still to go.  

Cheers. 

Patrick 

57B451BD-4EC7-49CA-9084-77D225DDF2B6.jpeg

0438978F-8F02-4B2E-BCE8-D95EB1DBCEE9.jpeg

E822268D-418F-4F16-B6E2-BDD9890A5DDC.jpeg

CAB539C8-A146-46D1-89F3-288F4FBFEE87.jpeg

852287DE-7E16-4EF9-81D5-31BE165D8597.jpeg

FBA5365E-59CF-40A0-A154-B1D563CD6931.jpeg

A23377B4-34E8-4645-98C9-C0A7E58A249F.jpeg

Looks awesome! It’s a spittin’ image.

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Great progress and looking great Patrick.  Is it just the angle of the camera or does the flare of the hull (stbd side) at about the two-thirds back mark seem a little wider than for the port side?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

6 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Great progress and looking great Patrick.  Is it just the angle of the camera or does the flare of the hull (stbd side) at about the two-thirds back mark seem a little wider than for the port side?

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat

Mmmm...I’ll have to check that, but I think it’s more than likely the camera angle, though.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Patrick,

You travel where no man has gone before, will be an awesome build 2 Kudos for sheer guts!:cheers::cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

57 minutes ago, John Allen said:

Patrick,

You travel where no man has gone before, will be an awesome build 2 Kudos for sheer guts!:cheers::cheers:

Hi John

Thanks.  That’s a great compliment....not sure I deserve it, but it’s greatly appreciated, nonetheless.

I do have to agree with you, though.  She’s gonna be a little ripper when finished😊. 

Cheers. 

Patrick

WOW!  you've made some fantastic progress on the hull!  very nice!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

WOW!  you've made some fantastic progress on the hull!  very nice!  :) 

Thanks Denis!

I must admit that even I'm amazed at how much I've done so far.  I guess that's what happens when things go smoothly, (for a change).

Have a good 'ne.

Cheers

Patrick

1 minute ago, Mahuna said:

Hi Patrick.  Very nice progress in such a short time.  You've got the hull shape looking really good.

Thanks Frank

I reckon she's not looking too bad, either.  Although I still can't quite decide whether she's a spacecraft or a mega yacht!

Cheers

Patrick