18th Century Long Boat by roach101761 - Model Shipways

On 5/11/2018 at 9:18 PM, roach101761 said:

Now it is time to remove the material from below the bearding line.

I tried many of my files, sanding block and knives to attempt to get this done. The Sanding block was a fail because my fingers while holding the false keel got in the way at the angle required and I could not see the work piece as I progressed.  

I then tried using my files.  I found that the flat file from the large set worked very well, especially at the edges where the false rabbet will be. Another from the same set with a flat side also worked as well at this part of the task.  I used that building board material, placed on top of my sanding block and used my fingers to hold the false keel in place while I worked the edges with the file in a short circular motion while moving the file forward and aft on the false keel. Putting the building board material on top of my sanding block provided the height necessary from the counter top surface to work the file.  Here is a photo.  No one was around to help take it so my left hand is holding the camera rather that the false keel to hold it in place on the edge of the board. 

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.664543495967820aeaa4f1e73bc41878.JPG

Go slow.  Do not be in a hurry and take off too much material.  Work one side for a little while and then turn it over and work the other side and Gradually reduce the thickness of the piece. You will soon find the correct angle of the file to establish the rabbet line for the length of the piece.  I found it surprisingly easy.  Stop constantly and look at the bottom to check your progress toward those parallel lines you placed on the false keel.  Do not try and complete it all in one go. 

After some progress I began removing material from the bearding line at the stern.  I tried my knifes and decided it was a no go.  I was not comfortable using them on such a small and CRITICAL PART.    There is only one of these in the kit.   I thought it too possible to take off too much material especially for a beginner.  Shaving wood off a part with a scalpel is best left for larger parts and less critical and replaceable parts and a skill to develop later.   Therefore I continued to use my files.  It is a small part and a small model. There is not a lot of material to be removed.  It may take you awhile to get it done, but take your time and eventually it will get done.   I also used a sanding stick on this part.   Here is a picture of all the files I used to remove the material from the bearding line.  I did use my miniature file set, but strictly speaking it may not have been necessary to use.   Here is a picture of all the tools I used to accomplish this task. 

IMG_1204.thumb.JPG.8def96f8f9213b3d8f1f7c699d9f405f.JPG

Here is my completed false keel.  It does not show very well in the photo.

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.ed885d4bffdabecabfbff1d02ee3389e.JPG

Here is a photo of the before and after.  A 3/32nds width piece from the sheet and the 1/32nd width false keel and bearding line.

IMG_1207.thumb.JPG.2d570303e79aa6cc9fda20718aa8a46d.JPG

Upon review of this photo, it also does not show very well.  The black line is a portion of one of the pencil lines I left in place.  It is the edge of the bottom portion to the false keel  The material on top of the line is the reduction angle from the full width to the pencil line. 

You will get to a point where you may not be sure if you should take off more material.  I got to that point and put it aside until the next day.  The next day I decided that enough was enough and left the part as it was, remaining pencil line not withstanding.   

Next we will assemble the keel.

Hi Phil,

My name is Phil too.  I am so glad i found your log.  I was offered this same boat to build and i am ready to learn new skills (I have no experience).  I have a question about the last picture (cloth pin and false keel). Does the part that is left thick correspond to the start of the bearding line? In other words did you sand from the bow and stopped at the bearded line? Not sure i am able to figure this one out.  Thousands thanks.

• 2 years later...

Do yourself a favor and look for another build log - this one hasn't been active since 2019.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS