French Battleship Charles Martel by Haze Gray - 1/72 scale - Radio (plastic 3D printed)

6 hours ago, Haze Gray said:

Hi Yuuki, I don’t think scaling it down to 1/350 would work well - some of the features are thin like 1mm so at 1/350 scale that becomes ~0.2mm.  It might be possible with a resin printer do you have one of those?

Good arvo! Thanks for the reply again. (or good morning or evening depending on where you live haha :P)

I think I know someone with a resin printer, and he has decent modelling knowledge so he might be able to increase the thickness of the printed walls if you are happy with selling me the file :). (Totally fine if not, I know these models are hardwork)

Also, if you'd like have a 1/350 Massena, I could send you a copy of her once she's done (my friend says late Jan.)

Edited by Yuuki

On 12/20/2020 at 2:06 AM, Yuuki said:

Hi Yuuki,  after I'm done modeling the Charles Martel in 1/72 I should be able to go back scale most of the ship down to 1/350 - but I'll  probably make the model manifold instead of dealing with 150+ super tiny parts!   I already have Messina on my list and other French ships - I'm pretty close to finishing this French ship too:

c2.thumb.png.cc5631af3a0b12ac69263fd0d225898e.pngc1.thumb.png.32cd5cc1f1146cfb32e106298b17b6ca.png

On 12/20/2020 at 2:06 AM, Yuuki said:

28 minutes ago, Haze Gray said:

c2.thumb.png.cc5631af3a0b12ac69263fd0d225898e.pngc1.thumb.png.32cd5cc1f1146cfb32e106298b17b6ca.png

Very cool coastal ram!

these tumblehome and huge ram bows are what makes the French so French haha. I’d love to think what these rams would do to a unarmoured underwater section of a battleship.

Regarding scaling them down, take your time! I’m not in a rush and my friend here’s also interested in modeling the Charles Martel, so if you’re busy or wish to take time off French ships I could ask him to model it in 1/350 too.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I've been spending the last week or so getting the hull ready to actually print - I've been taking hull and and slicing it up and putting in provisions for stepper actuated turrets.  There's going to be 6 hull sections - the longest is the stern at 376mm (which is just shy of 15 inches) and  I'm estimating about 18 total days to print all hull sections.  While the hull in printing I'll finish up the deck work which is kind of the fun/extremely challenging part since there's really a gap in the plans on the details and will be mostly done by staring at photos for hours on end to get what details I can. 

Also, I'm including a link to a video as that might be interesting to some of you. 

https://youtu.be/xL65M7gmwas

image.png

cm1-3-21b.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update here - after finishing printing all the hull sections yesterday I spent some time cleaning them up a bit.  Prior to permanently joining them all together I needed to put in some of the threaded inserts for stepper mounts and the arduino control board.  The "heat inserts" I use are from Mcmaster Carr: heat inserts | McMaster-Carr  and they come in a many different sizes.  I typically use 3mm inserts with 3mm machine screws, and there's several different types available even in just the 3mm size.  The row on the left are for 3mm and there's a 2mm example on the right side in this photo. 

261270990_heatinserts.thumb.jpg.e48a236445f066afc9b3ab11b8bd6bd5.jpg

Note I would recommend you spend the extra money on the heat inserts from Mcmaster Carr,  the cheap ones you can get off ebay are (in my opinion) garbage.   Easy to install a 3mm insert using a soldering iron with an adapter or thin tip: 

PENF0013.thumb.JPG.6b3b3176439ae2d33cb9e78453878a3b.JPG

And here's what it looks like with most of them installed.  The aft most inserts are where the motor mounts get bolted to. 

PENF0014.thumb.JPG.908a7d8cb7592af981e77fa64b98233b.JPG

Next I started gluing the section together - a thin layer of 5 min epoxy this time since I didn't have any 10 min lying around.  I find that 5 min epoxy is okay but sets quick and sometimes if there's some alignment issues your racing against the clock in a most uncomfortable way.  So I always check and recheck how things are fitting together before I mix up the glue.  I also take time to figure out which tabs will need more clamping pressure and have those handy.  You can kind of see the glue in this photo, keeping it to a thin layer means less ooze to wipe off.  

PENF0018.thumb.JPG.5192dcc0dcaa8a811bfada9d4005eff3.JPG

After gluing 3 pairs of two sections together I sent them aside for an hour or so to fully cure

PENF0019.thumb.JPG.bcceb561b1ef7851a675024ebf4272f8.JPG

And then I joined the three groups into complete hull.... (I forgot to take a photo but just imagine the whole boat with the bow on the floor and totally vertical teetering precariously against the work bench!)  Then once cured and when the Admiral wasn't looking I used the dinner table again for a photo of the completed hull:

PENF0022.thumb.JPG.441a43490a3c7f8bc6d6b2b632f5fc3f.JPG

PENF0024.thumb.JPG.21da2081439f7e622c8a4e1b6b5f9094.JPGPENF0023.thumb.JPG.fdd49785eb879888aa8c69475b2bf1f9.JPG

The next step will be sanding the hull to get all the layer lines out and a smoother surface.  This can easily be done by hand although there's tricky area's that will need careful attention (more about that later).  For the most part a 2" air driven orbital sander will make quick work of most of the sanding.  I'll start that after work tomorrow. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Gents,  that's very kind of you to say!   I really should provide an update - I've been sanding the hull and making the turrets, but I have 3 hulls in addition to the Charles Martel that I'm sanding and it's been kind of cold out in the garage so I've slowed down a bit.  maybe In another week or two I'll post that update. 

4 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

will you show us a few pics of the other hulls, in process?  Just curious.

Sure here you go - 5 hulls but the one with the superstructure and funnels is the USS Main - that hull has been sanded and partially painted - I actually have a 6th hull printing that is not in the photo (for the USS Texas - the original one from the 1892)PENF0052.thumb.JPG.578c62685389de3585016866dbe215d5.JPG

2 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Oh my!  What are your plans for this battlefleet?

Well my only plan really to to grow the fleet! - I have about 700 ships of the period that I would like to model - however, based on my calculations I am unlikely to live long enough to complete more than 350.  Granted I am much faster now than I was in the beginning and have about 25 designs that are pretty far along, but it would be hard to do more than 1 per month on average. 1/72 scale is kind of ideal for the typical ship of this period since it allows for a reasonable level of detail for the typical 3d printer that uses filament but the size of the printer needed typically is larger larger than what the more economical printers out there can support (both in build plate area and Z axis depth).  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

That display of hulls is amazing. Are you selling them?

Yves

I don't think I'm at the right point to sell them but my typical process is to get the design done, then print out the first draft of the parts and see how things fit together and if I need to make adjustments or changes (sometimes I forget to add something, etc). So through that draft process I finalize the design as much as I can and re-print anything that changed.  These things take up space so if you're interested in getting one of the finalized drafts I can probably make that happen provided you cover the shipping cost - bear in mind that these ships in 1/72 scale typically range between 1300mm to 1900mm from nose to tail.  

The one thing I would add is that most 3d printed parts will need some sanding and surfacing - it maybe plastic but it's not injection molded.  

Edited by Haze Gray
added some detail