Nordsee Krabbenkutter 1900 by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Authentic Models - 1:48

Exactly OC :)    very easy to run a bead and wipe with a finger,  and avoid all the mess

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

OK......are you ready for this?   here is a priceless example of working on the fly.   it's not painted yet,  but I think this idea will work out wonderfully.   the first thing to do is fix the transom and bulwark.   trimmed down to equal the other side......5 mm.......the top edges was sanded to straighten them out.   a line was drawn across the transom to get a sense of how much to cut off.   I was about to get the saw,  when I got an idea about the shape of the transom.

5af59728cfbfa_1.jpg.63723694c6ca1fd3bad6114f9e791934.jpg

I then started to whittle away at the outer edges of the transom with my x-actor.   after a bout of sanding to smooth it all out,  it now looks like this.

5af5978b1908b_2.jpg.d8dfc264aec83b228dc5d5d484f8a359.jpg

5af597961ce37_3.jpg.522bda212eef7119609db563a5a67ce0.jpg

the deck layout is as such.   the two structures are much smaller than the outlines.   putting them on there,  I started thinking of how to plank the deck.  I also want to add bulwark posts and other related detail.

5af598447c502_4.jpg.c5582f120cd7a9271a55a66c7dad61dd.jpg

above in the picture,  you can see that I brought out the extra detail sheet I got for the Thermopylae........finding that it wouldn't work,  I began thinking of other ways to achieve what I wanted to do.   one thing I though,  was the structures are too low on the deck.  so,  I decided to add 1/8 to the thickness......I have plenty of scrap around to do it.

5af599563c57f_5.jpg.d00fcbfd4bc52196325f7d16d3a7a972.jpg

meanwhile,  I took the stand in the other room and stained it with dark walnut.

5af5998105c88_6.jpg.b3c5e785a4943641ea71623619be725d.jpg

we all have dealt with these 'plugs' from time to time.......solid wood,  with the end sides that seem to suck up the paint.   with some 1/32nd scrape wood,  I traced and cut out the front,  back,  and sides for the main structure, and glued them on.

5af59aa89eb37_7.jpg.fa8422fab2b6b2b68b36aa246c436197.jpg

the hull was ready for the rub rails too......so these were next to be done.   for the cap rails,  I'll do something a little different.......I'll line the top edges,  sand them flush and paint over them.  I still need to do the inner bulwark posts and stuff.

5af59cd291ce7_8.jpg.8ae7dcd234e43e6e0018efc42d1a516e.jpg

5af59cdf15183_9.jpg.eab01c3c4805565e0fe9ea84389b5b32.jpg

5af59cea470b5_10.jpg.6303b2020706993a26a53d5c56591fe8.jpg

I have the 25 mm wide strips of mahogany for the roof of the structures......I will also be adding companionways as well.   I want to add portholes ......I have just the thing.......those eyelets that I've been talking about.   I picked out the smallest ones I have.

5af59de6698bf_11.jpg.10f90fde5cbeeaef30788ed321eb834f.jpg

I have a ton of these little buggers........different sizes and finishes.....I chose the white ones.   drawing a line along the sides,  holes were drilled and they were dry fitted in place.

5af59e695614a_12.jpg.b643975986724b1e86e7369d40ca9e14.jpg

the portholes will be filled with window maker,  and when dry,  will be painted inside with yellow or white......whatever will show through the best.   now....the outline for this particular structure doesn't match the structure shape.......I'll have to think of what to do with the other part of the outline.   adding the sides on these structures will allow them to fit the outline shape a lot more.  when I plank the deck,  I'll cover the excess over so they will fit better,  but I have the feeling that I'll end up planking the entire deck and cement the structures on top.   I'll also have to keep in mind to drill out the holes marked off on the deck.   the stand was given two coats of clear lacquer.......

5af5a0557c028_13.jpg.86b0f23a229af34c442b94a35d88bea3.jpg

....and here is a dry fit of the structures on the deck

5af5a07b33673_14.jpg.de4c273ee06a8cb48a51775caf1eb053.jpg

you can see the area behind the main structure that I mentioned.   I will have to look at the drawing to see what that is all about.  more to come  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Denis

It is good to see your ideas and progress for this kit. It is very lucky it got someone as imaginative as you to see the possible improvements. It will surely be many steps above the out of the box kit that to be honest was little more than a toy at best.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks Lou....it's amazing the stuff model companies leave out.  it's always good to have a vision and concept to make up for it.  thanks for the good word :) 

thanks for all the likes  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John........this is my first solid hull model :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice progress Denis, especially that curved transom, much better then just a horizontal one. Also good to see your added "stuff" to the model.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet  :)   I took tomorrow off........the deck is really giving a hard decision.   if I do plank it,  even at .5 mm,  it will take away from the height of the bulwark.

I'll ponder it tomorrow......after I cut the grass.  happy to see the snow gone ......but the other headache begins.   can't a modeler get a break?  :D  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well.........that was an experience!   I started working on the Krabber this morning,  adding an inner cap rail strip to both sides.  the other structure is now sided off,  drilled for portholes,  and both are painted.  I did a few other things,  but I wanted to get some paint on the hull.   I checked to see if I had any more of the usual bottom paint I like to use.......didn't want to use red {almost went for an olive drab}.   I can't recall the name of the paint color......I can always check my past logs to find out,  so I took to mixing some.   I started with a 1/2 oz bottle of Billing's flat black........the solvents were almost gone,  leaving it a thick pigment.   I added some flat white and tan,  along with three caplets of thinner.  I shook this mixture for almost a half hour.........my arms were a bit fatigued after this.   opening the bottle,  I saw that I did a reasonable job of getting it right...............but that's when it all went to the dogs.......I spilt it!   hit it with the rag...........rolled off the table onto the carpet....two big blotches and splashed onto the hardwood!   thinner cleaned up the hardwood alright,  but that's when I felt something sticky on my right foot.  I'm wearing flip flops and it was all over my foot!  the admiral thought it a funny sight to see me with my leg lifted over the kitchen sink and washing my foot with Dawn dish detergent......an amazing stretch,  since I haven't contorted like that for quite some time.   the carpet is gone now.......I don't need Gibbs getting at it,  since he seems drawn to anything I spill that will kill him.  I think the paint color is called Dark Drab.   so anyway......I just thought I'd share this small mishap with you all....if anyone is drinking coffee of anything,  don't read this til your done........don't want to be the cause of you losing your keyboard :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

You seem to be operating concurrent ship yards all over the place. Are you planing on becoming the Amazon of shipyards. :imNotWorthy:

Nice project ----

Cheers mate

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Better you than me!

If I was to try to get my foot into the sink I would end up on my back on the floor with all four paws in the air calling for help! I would probably end up hopping out to the back yard and getting hosed down, then she would put me on a chain until I dried out!

Hope you have enough left to get the painting done at least!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That was funny Denis . We have a program over here called “You’ve been Framed” where you would have got £250 for the video of that. In future just keep the camera rolling just in case ;). Good work by the way.

Now why did you make the warning after I sprayed coffee..?? :P    I think spilling paint is a rite of passage or maybe just experience.   I'm trying NOT to use paint to save the carpet. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Formula = 1/2 bottle dried black

drib of white

drab of tan

three caps of thinner

shake thoroughly 

strain through carpet

remix with flip flops and add dawn as an emulsifier. 

Confirm proper balance of color (and body) by sticking foot in sink. 

(Sam Runs back to his corner and hides)

at least you cleaned it up before the cat(?) gibs got to it. 

Better luck next time. 

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

awwww....thanks everyone......even those who were laughing too hard to hit the like button  :D   >sorry again to anyone who didn't head the warning......should have stated it at the beginning<  I'm glad I have a very understanding admiral,  no matter what the cost.

thanks Michael......this is life at Wenzel's Wharf.....even the admiral doesn't know form time to time what the heck I'm working on  :D   since the youngest son moved out,  I've set up one of the tables in there {I have two work stations}.  if you mean here,  on the site,  I'm not sure who holds the record for the most open logs,  but I'm sure I'm a contender ;)   I thought about it many times.......if I were to get all of my projects done,  I'd likely fill a room.  I even imagined putting them on line to sell them....even thought up a name for it......'Mantel Models' {catchy, no?} :) 

thanks Lou.....yea,  that was quite a stretch.....I think it even made my voice go up an octave  ;)    I was using the detergent full strength {I also use it when I work on cars}.  the admiral wanted to help,  but I said no.......it was my mess,  I will clean it.  I did have enough to do what I needed to do :) 

Hi John.........DARN!.......I should have had the camera in record mode!  {my camera will also do short video}.....glad to see you BTW  :) 

thanks Mark........too late for the carpet.  I'm sure there's an unwritten rule about that somewhere.   the funny thing about it,  is when I was a member of another site.......{long time ago before I came here}  I wrote quite a few blogs.  one of them was a beginner's introduction into modeling.....the tools they'd need,  set up,  ect.   there is a part about painting too........I distinctly recall mentioning something about a drop cloth,  in case of a spill.   now,  looking back.......I think I wrote it just to put mothers at ease,  that I wasn't telling ghost stories of something  :D  :D   "WOW!....this guy knows what he's talking about..............."

no way John........that would indicate that I had a method to my madness,  I like to fly by the seat of my pants!   my theory is to mix paint in large quantities,  so I won't run out.  even if I did write down the formula,  I likely forget what I used to measure it with :rolleyes::huh:

hey Sam........THAT"S IT!!!!!!!  :)   I wasn't quite out of the woods with Gibbs though.......apparently he found a spot that had landed on the other part of the carpet.   I had rolled up and removed the half that had 'ground zero' on it.   but while I was cleaning up my foot,  he laid on the other half,  licking the spot.....I have no idea what is so tasty about it.  he has a habit of trying to lick my hands,  whenever I work on the models.......depending on what I've been fool'in with,  I have to wash as soon as I'm done.   anyway.......he ended up getting sick.......thankfully,  it wasn't enough to be a danger to him {silly dog}.  the other part of the carpet is now gone as well {gotta keep my 'lil buddy safe}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it was a nice day yesterday......partly sunny,  warm,  with spot thunder showers breaking up the trend.   I had the day off.......got up early to boot!   I wanted to add inner cap rails to the bulwarks,  to widen them,  since adding strips to the outer edges.  everything I had seemed to thick,  considering the scale........even 1/16 seemed to thick.   then I remembered the balsa strips that I didn't use for the Guillow's Spitfire model plane.  I used basswood for the stringers,  for the fuselage and wings,  and I had set them aside for future use..

5afc14a73352f_1.jpg.3387db17acee3f85eddae60b8dd1bd58.jpg

taking the height of the bulwarks into consideration,  I may end up not planking the deck.   it's a small concession.........I'm still up in the air about it.  the balsa was wet down so it could make that harsh bend near the bow.   while this was drying,  I sanded the forward structure to shape,  since I had added the outer fascias.  it too will be drilled for port holes.

5afc181d15686_2.jpg.77e2a67e5816106affb68029f994abad.jpg

drilled....resanded......and now painted in the color I will use for the upper section of the hull.   I am bent on using up the rest of my Billing paint stash......I should just toss the rest,  but some is still usable.

5afc18c920d6a_3.jpg.af6b2dd0f9d44c5aa4a1ac5687a8d314.jpg

the deck layout now looks like this.......I drilled the hole for the rudder & tiller.  another test to see if it was worth planking the deck.

5afc1959330a6_4.jpg.ac7708fdca383c6cda3f944e3413ecb9.jpg

gaps in the two strips on the cap rails were filled with wood filler and will be sanded......later to be painted a brown color.   holes were drilled through a small sheet of flat stock for the port holes I will need.   once they were pressed in place in the sheet,  they were painted gold....later to be filled with window maker.

5afc1a94364f1_5.jpg.893e099616a59c18e0d33a7818fd9e14.jpg

this is when the mishap occurred.........and the frantic clean up operation thereafter.   surprisingly,  none of it got on the table.......anywhere!   we were amazed, considering the scope of the mess......the hardwood being the easiest to clean up.  I had wiped off my foot and thew out the affected flip flop,  but I was hell bent on painting the hull bottom.   the color is very close to what I was trying to acheive.

5afc1c45ab31e_6.jpg.6862b1d7a9d0d9163f94ad69d14c5e73.jpg

it's still wet in this picture.........I threw a towel down over the paint splotches on the carpet,  so I could stand to do it.

5afc1c9c31792_7.jpg.5dfc9bc61fecb7d005be71a47134e708.jpg

once I got done with the rest of the clean up,  the bottom had dried by this time.  the masking tape was removed.....the first phase of the hull painting was done.

5afc1d617d248_8.jpg.1aac15df8f9d25ccb806e72312f3cd93.jpg

5afc1d69a1e8c_9.jpg.2d6ed0bfb11b430140e1a38ac2bae197.jpg

5afc1d726c730_10.jpg.16c2e780be061b9b74b659059855e740.jpg

I should have put the rudder on before I painted.......it would be the same color anyway.......on well....I still have enough of the paint to do touch ups and stuff.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

when I knew the paint was dry enough,  the hull was masked up again.   the upper hull paint was done.   no mixing required ;)  :rolleyes:

5afc1e8188c0e_1.jpg.6dd8d566ee0556b7a0953c755bac12b2.jpg

I still have to touch up some bleeds....

5afc1f04b803b_2.jpg.36dc9ab96b87fce67e7b9ba474c94e1c.jpg

5afc1f0fc5f06_3.jpg.c6621022469a291fd62abdbdf6b1913c.jpg

the gap between the two paint sessions was pure damage control.   even though I have a very understanding admiral,  she is also very adamant......the missing carpet sections reveal a very ugly floor {cheap landlord}.  she wasn't going to live with a naked computer room floor for very long.   so a trip to Big Lots was in order....instead of two sections,  we got one larger carpet to lay on the floor.   

#4.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I see you've got your own bench :D

Never a dull moment in your shipyard ... you seem to hop, skip, and jump from one model to another ... It would drive me crazy ... I only have to switch between Musashi, HMAS Vendetta, two 1/700 tiny nip subs, 2 1/72 Fokker Dr1's, and a 1/48 Fokker Dr 1 ... besides all the other things to do(!)

By the way, I like the colours. Did you ever try a different type of masking tape ...could solve the problem of your bleeding all over the hull ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

bench?   if you get down to it......I have three,  counting my desk {judging from the looks of it}.   that probably where I'll build the Vendetta......it's small enough.  I see you like the Fokker aircraft too.   I should put my Guillow's Fokker Dr I build in the nautical forum.......at 1:14 scale,  it's a fairly large plane ;)   

https://wordpress.com/post/popeyesquadron.wordpress.com/1025

yea......I used that silly blue tape.   I have to make sure it's pressed down before I paint.   I usually use frog tape...I did the touch ups this morning...I still want to do a white mask........or maybe I'll mix it up and do red  ;)    as I mentioned somewhere here......I made up a list of all my projects that are in progress and still in boxes.   I'm afraid to make it public.......the men with the white coats would be here lickity split!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

28 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

the men with the white coats would be here lickity split! 

It would take them a while to get there Denis. Dealing with me and my hoard would take them a while!:o:(

I like the pattern on the carpet.^_^

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Carl 

That's his dog house, he keeps it close so that if the admiral gets cross at him for spilling or making another mess he does not have far to go!:o

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

uuuuuhhh........no door.......I'm claustrophobic :D     I hear ya Michael........at least when I'm play'in with paint!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis, I'm a bit late to this one but, it looks like it is shaping up to be another great build. Looking forward to following along with you again!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

no...that's Gibb's kennel...........she'd toss me out in the garage.   I can share sunflower seeds with 'Chippy' the Chipmunk  ;) 

hey there EJ.........just missed my juggling act with paint....hoping the rest of the build is less eventful :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hiya mate,   she is coming along nicely,  love the black hull,     with your planes are you doing them as RC  planes or just large statics?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

she'd toss me out in the garage

Pretty bad when you get tossed by both the Admiral and the lord of the manor! Next you will be on dog food and water rations!:huh:

6 hours ago, cog said:

besides the fact that she will rip it to shreds

Carl

It sounds like you have one of those dogs that occasionally sell used masters.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey