Nordsee Krabbenkutter 1900 by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Authentic Models - 1:48

Nice job on the paint Denis and sorry for the mishap. That new rug looks really nice, great pattern.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks for the kind comments all.....being married almost thirty years,  the admiral has come to expect things like this.

thanks OC.   did you hit the 'close' button in the upper left of the Fokker log?  that will bring you to all the other logs pertaining to it.  scrolling down,  you'll see the Fokker D VII,  the Guillow's Spitfire MK I,  and the F-15 Eagle.

thanks Piet and Lou  :)   time to have gotten rid of those old carpets.   the new carpet is less hairy......perhaps easier to see dropped parts....we'll find out  ;) 

thanks John.......model master makes that color.  if I see it,  I'll buy every bottle they have!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just remember dropped parts OK, dropped paint, no no!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I just see a blank screen like there is nothing there.   tried a few times with the same result.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I PM'd you OC........ ;) 

small progress........with one minor hiccup.   now that the structures are painted,  it's time to get the roofs on.   I used that thin strip mahogany I have on hand.

5afd79da952dd_1.jpg.ed9e1873d0d6e223d2bcdfe17655dc4d.jpg

the port holes were filled with window maker and set upside down,  so the stuff does sag inward as it dries.   it does take a while for it to do so.

5afd7a389bc05_2.jpg.8e92a64cc58ccc40ccea52d55ebd6dba.jpg

when dry,  this is the side where I will dab some paint on them,  so when you look at the port holes in place,  the color will show through.  this is how they looked this morning.

5afd7a9380131_3.jpg.d701717f358d6bea5bade99114d0d044.jpg

I started to make some of the other fittings........like the mast winch

5afd7ac2d9ca5_4.jpg.a2e2df6629395c04a6c082cd248e1d7e.jpg

here is the hiccup.....after the roofs were dry enough to trim,  I used a pair of scissors to do it.  one of the side edges split and now there is no overhang on one side of the forward structure.  debating what to do with it at the moment.

5afd7b4e03729_5.jpg.c8509b4e2ca027002a65dcbd9906dae1.jpg

it would be a real bugger to remove the roof,  considering how it is cemented in place.......a real mess indeed!   I could try and cement another roof over it,  but the concern is that it will look thicker than the other roof.   I at least wanted to give them a 1/8 overhang

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Super close detail mate  looking really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I would stick a covering on the 'clipped' roof in fact I would plank it then plank the other one as well. You will never know the difference.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

thanks OC :) 

I fixed it Mike........laid another layer over it.  it doesn't look too bad now  :)    I though it would,  but one never know until one tries.

I've been lax in thanking all who've hit the like button.....sorry  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I began with the rudder to start this session off.  the gungeons and pintles are simply narrow strips of brass bent in a 'U'.    nothing fancy, since the scale of this model is small.  

5afed4581a6e5_1.jpg.55e33b89bc3217c88841fcf5ca5385e7.jpg

5afed478599ea_2.jpg.557be871e1040082f0dedc2bec12f2f9.jpg

great to look at........but just don't study it  :D    ....and I did decide to re roof the forward structure.....the thickness isn't that much of an issue really.

5afed5337a0eb_3.jpg.ae312084679b178fc832d68c6276e099.jpg

trimmed........sanded to shape........and then given two coats of flat lacquer.

5afed571d09cd_4.jpg.0203eb7f889edb0e711666ba1e9f6f75.jpg

the port holes weren't totally dry,  so I gave them another day.........they look much better now :)    the top sheet is now tacked to the wall......the section for the rigging is now on deck.......the instructions continue on this page.   cutting the mast to length,  I clamped it in my battery operated drill,  and spent some time tapering the mast.

5afed69c50a10_5.jpg.657890271b84f91dccec368e75574418.jpg

while I was doing it...I was thinking.......what the heck about the deck?   I was looking at the inner bulwarks........if I paint them,  it will force my hand......I knew surely,  I would get paint on the deck.  I also noticed that the tiller post coming through the deck {I drilled it already},  isn't lined up with the rudder.  I drilled the hole printed on the deck...........what gives?   I hope I can be right on with re drilling.......cuz I will be planking the deck.   so I painted the inner bulwarks....with  a bit more care,  I might have pulled it off,  not getting any paint on the deck.

5afed8a2689ba_6.jpg.50b1531750a303acb1bc0d01b0fb030b.jpg

5afed8af39242_7.jpg.b0615a6bb34f5cfa7beba8d6bd179249.jpg

then came the cap rails,  and touch ups with the pale gray,   and the sea blue

5afed923907e0_8.jpg.98b67e2b1aa34e7f27fc2d0af2bc906c.jpg

5afed92e1e18f_9.jpg.c2d92dddb66bd711a2cd3c946a39598b.jpg

makes 5afed937e4fcf_10.jpg.74fd08ab2cd18246109a8b892d37f079.jpg

I also found out what will fill that area behind the mid cabin........it appears to be a large hold.  between planking the deck {the deck won't look like the printed one,   so I'll have to get creative} and the rest of the fittings,  I think I have a full day ahead of me  :)   the port hole glass color is making me think as well...I'm undecided on the color.........

yellow:   makes one think there is a light on inside......candle light

white:    makes one think there is a light on inside......incandescent lighting

black:    no light on at all......dark inside

blue:     most model manufacturers show this color on their proto type models....glass reflecting water perhaps?

metallic:  reflective nature.......re-fractional sunlight

gray:    reflection of the bulwarks.....silhouette light reflection

I am leaning toward the yellow,  but I thought of these other colors that could be used.  what's your preference?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Doing great, this kit is really starting to pop!

I think that no matter what the lighting source is inside, you will find that it will look yellow when observed from a distance or outside. If you have a harbor like I do a few blocks away you can go look at the boats at night and see what I mean.

Keep it up you seem to be getting close to adding the 'Denis' parts.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks Lou :)   yea,  I'm leaning toward the yellow.......but there are other colors that can be used.   I figured I'd see what other folks preferred.   I did the same port hole thing for my Gundalow.......the big difference is that the cabin on that model is hollow,  so I didn't paint them.   I do the same thing for my Nav lights {red and green}.   I fill the lense opening,  and when dry,  paint the colors in on the inside of the light,  seeing that they are hollow parts {Billing's kits}.   comes out a much neater job.   I'm planking the deck at the moment........I am regretting using that printed deck.  this is cutting down on the height of the bulwarks,  but I think it will look OK.   should have an update soon.........that is,  if I don't get roped into any more outside projects.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I thought that when you installed the bulwarks you cut down on the recommended overlap from 4mm to 2mm making them taller right from the start? If that was the case they should still be at least 1mm taller than the recommended height. ^_^??????

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I traced them out on that stiff thin plywood they supplied.......I should have gone with my gut,  and cut them from a piece of 1/32 basswood flat stock.   that plywood was the toughest stuff to cut with a box cutter!  by the time I got done sanding the two pieces to equal size,  they were narrower at the stern.   so what was a decisive thought,  turned into absolute must.   I really didn't gain much.   when it came time to do the cap rails,  unless I cut them out to a traced template {which would have taken some time to work up},   I decided to cement them along the upper edge.   the curve towards the bow is very aggressive.....never be able to bend anything that much without breakage.   running strips along the inner bulwarks was an after thought.......I wanted the cap rails to be wider.   that's where the balsa came in.   the strips are 1/16 x 1/32 X however long,  and the thickness was perfect........and I even had to wet 'em to make that curve.   the funny part is now......I gotta lay planking along the bulwarks,  and I have to work around all this.  there's still enough bulwark back there,  so I guess that's a good thing  ;) 

the deck is about half planked.......drilled my hole for the tiller post and one for the mast,  so I wouldn't lose my place where it was.  I still need to drill holes for the horse,  but it can wait till I'm done {I'm marking the spots}.   I have a diagram to follow anyway  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks like you have it under control and it will turn out OK.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I dunno.....this stuff was pretty thin.   I'll be doing quite a bit of cutting when I start on the nordkap ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi all.........good to be done with the work week :)    I had done a few things last Friday......I hadn't taken any pictures though,  so this will be sort of a catch up for you.  looking at the cabins,  the only hatch I see is located on the forward cabin.   I made up the top portion of the hatch / companionway during my time Friday.  I now need to make the cut in the roof overhang,  so the door can be added,  once the top portion is cemented in place.

5b058275e4560_1.jpg.a44935c55a434a675049d723d87c489b.jpg

I had also drilled the hole for the bow spirit pin,  that will assemble the two parts.  then I can sand the bow spirit to shape.

5b0582efbd179_2.jpg.c2d3125b643c4a87b680a29a1d5e6a40.jpg

I mentioned that I planked part of the deck already........I stuck with the wide king plank and continued with the narrowest planking I had....2 mm.  I didn't bother doing any butt staggering,  figuring that if the deck gets too busy,  it wouldn't be noticed anyway.

5b058477aeb48_3.jpg.8b96c424c19e9574753151bac0a29026.jpg

I'm doing the simulated calking with the archive pen.   I'm hoping that when sanded,  it will grunge up the deck to some degree.  as seen in the diagram,  there is a hold aft of the mid ship cabin.  I'm going to add a covering to the outside,  so when it's painted,  it won't suck up the paint.  I've seen this already....this is some thirsty wood ;)   I've had to do two coats on everything so far.

5b0585d1c6e46_4.jpg.d4096e4e0a628da67bf834f5fa6fb7c1.jpg

these 'plugs' are rough cut too.......good that I'm giving them a fascia.   yellow is the color that I dabbed into the portholes.......

5b05865d9578b_5.jpg.a821d270632e5e096d7c10af793f63dd.jpg

here is what the front looks like.......

5b05867c87f05_6.jpg.30e8b4e55400213c27239eb6a4956a59.jpg

....and on the cabin,  they look even better.

5b0586bd3d1b4_7.jpg.47c101abb2d43afb382361ece6e98ad5.jpg

I did a little bit of sanding to the deck.......I was correct in my assumption.   the deck will retain some of the hue from sanding over the calking.   if I do too much,  I may lose it,  so I just keep it to a light sanding......enough to take the roughness away.  I added another plank towards the starboard side......this plank starts the trimming process at the stern bulwark.  it will take two or three more planks to cover the rest in,  involving more acute trimming as it closes.  then I can do the port side.

5b0588754689a_8.jpg.f04c4b92866787bde8e89a278baca674.jpg

the stern is critical.........the overhang of the cap rail is gonna pose a problem.

5b0588ed3e9cf_9.jpg.296712ffd8ae679fd0aa4c09a1f9824d.jpg

I'll show ya latter how it goes  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great progress Denis, the deck planking looks good and you can always scribe the plank buts into them.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks for the likes gents  :)    I had a chance to do some more on her today..........and I am at odds with two parts that aren't mentioned in the instructions.   I don't even see them in the diagrams.   the fun started with the forward cabin......the space for the  cabin door was notched out of the roof edge.   the top hatchway was cemented in place after it was painted.

5b05ef7758f6f_1.jpg.13778ebeae4d3427121ac4e4bf7c2460.jpg

it was topped with a small square of mahogany,  which needs to be seal coated now.   in between working on the cabin,  the starboard side deck was filled in...it wasn't too bad.......went rather well.

5b05f0029afa5_2.jpg.10e553052d8855ab344e91493365bb2f.jpg

I cut that thin plywood with a pair of scissors....should have tried that with the bulwark panels :rolleyes:    it was outlined with 1 mm thin mahogany,  and mahogany stain was used around the edges where the plywood still was showing.  it was cemented in place on the cabin.

5b05f0c000552_3.jpg.a0efc7e63922c6d1d1089335082ccffd.jpg

deck planking continued with the port side.......getting within a plank or two from completion.

5b05f1099c449_4.jpg.35974c4d6da53fcf779f5cce2f8636ed.jpg

it worked out fine........planked in without much trouble.   after it was sanded,  it was given two coats of dull coat,  and then a single coat of flat lacquer.   the grungy look remained....dirtied up the king plank the way I like it  ;)    you may have seen the butt joint in the middle.......no worries,  that will be covered by the mid cabin.

5b05f1d153017_5.jpg.33928a0899e1e5363574dbb66e4f8997.jpg

the portholes were cemented into the forward cabin........I ended up with three left over.   for a chuckle,  I placed the cabins on the deck.

5b05f225938a9_6.jpg.ea4df8bb70eb6e3e396ab0787cf61525.jpg

I tried to use the extra portholes up......I place one on the forward side of the mid cabin........

5b05f2947b5a0_7.jpg.bba0ed4ef701863eef2521ad2e6bd8d1.jpg

....and another on the forward cabin.   I tossed the last one,  seeing as there are no more free spaces.

5b05f4987cdf3_8.jpg.c969a59ae063aeba563eb162f9888a01.jpg

here's where the mystery begins......the bow spirit sits on the left side of the bow stem.   I made up a chock for it to rest on,  as it passes over the cap rail.

5b05f58adac4b_9.jpg.0fb0cfd108acb70d411e817268c09beb.jpg

on the starboard side...there is a fife rail.   I haven't seen any belaying pins in the kit {I can just grab a few from the Thermopylae}.   the yoke for the bow spirit has a slot on the starboard side fork,  in the diagrams,  but not on the part itself.   I find it odd,  because up to now,  they've been pretty good in prepping the parts.......all I've had to do is some minor sanding.   there's nothing in the kit that resembles a fife rail,  so I will have to find something suitable in my stash.

there is another post,  that has a slot.......but is seen nowhere in the diagrams.   my guess is that it's the receiving post for the fife rail,  and it needs to be fitted against the bow stem.   I have no idea about the other part........don't see it used anywhere {I'll use it somewhere}.   so the crank handle was cemented on the sail winch.......I still need to make the horse.   I need to paint the rest of the six posts that line the deck {both sides}....and I tapered and assembled the bow spirit and yoke.......painting it as well.

5b05fa4518348_10.jpg.bbdc652abb6159cf5462c1d7786c2b70.jpg

I'll likely have more pictures,  after I do the dishes........I'll post 'em as I get 'em  ;) 

thanks for look'in in  :)   emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.946eff51087cc52eb302fa61e3850a1d.gif

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Piet.......I might not do it........if the deck looks busy......it'll never be noticed.   thanks for the suggestion :) 

thanks John.....I'll be getting into the rigging soon.   I'm drill'in holes for eye bolts.....and I even need a traveler! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've been dabbl'in around with the rigging diagrams.......and frankly,  I find them a bit disappointing.   my first assessment of them I think was too kind.   yea,  the lines being rigged are in red,  but you need a magnifying glass to see the termination points......if it shows any at all.   no dead eyes....just metal rings.......the most obvious 'dummying up' of the rigging so far.   the more I thought {as I toyed with her},  it gave me the impression of re- rigging one of those mantle boats,  you'd see in Hobby Lobby or someplace.   we'd pass by them,  and even the admiral would tell me,  I could do better.   I just chalked it up to mass production.

so......I'll just use the diagrams as a guide,  and go my own way.   I'll be adding a few lines as well.   I didn't take any pictures during all this,  so I'll make up for it today :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

it gave me the impression of re- rigging one of those mantle boats,

Hi Denis

You need to remember that this model was sold as just that, a mantle boat. It appears that that is what this company makes. With what you have done, and are doing is creating a MUCH more realistic model than would have ever been possible straight out of the kit.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looking good indeed! I always enjoying seeing those changes that each builder puts into basic kits. It is to me what makes the hobby enduring. You can open 5 different logs of any given model and have 5 different experiences all of which are enjoyable and interesting as the builders bring their own unique skills and customizing ideas. Even those who say they are going to stick to the kit design rarely do to the letter. 

Looking forward to seeing what you do next!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

thank you for your kind comments and likes :)   I spent the day yesterday planning and plotting where to put the eye bolts,  to kick off the rigging process.   the diagrams don't show all the placements,   so I'm doing dry fits and getting my ideas together.

thanks John.....I have an enormous selection of these eyelets.  should I ever do an ocean liner or something along these lines,  I am definitely going to be in my glory!  :D    does make me wonder if someone else though of it before me,  but I still like to think I did  ;) 

true Lou......considering the company that sells them.  should I ever see one of these mantle pieces at hobby Lobby that tickles my fancy......I think it would make for a cool log to re rig one.  have you ever looked at the price tag on one of those?  crazy!  ;) 

thanks EJ and welcome to the log :)   couldn't have said it better.......I enjoy the freedom ;) 

so painting was in order for some of the parts that I have already partially assembled.  I started to go through some of my odds and ends looking for stuff to add.

5b0808d13be95_1.jpg.a3c36e3ce2d8db45666f8a5e4f2996a9.jpg 

the kit supplies 2 mm single and double blocks,  two different size thread {rope},  and those small metal rings I spoke about.

5b080952bdb89_2.jpg.eb25ec076abc79c05eabb090ffadc2db.jpg

the eye bolts are all one size,  so I will be adding some smaller ones where needed.   I dug out a package of the belaying pins,  I ordered for the Thermopylae.   

they will be perfect for the model.

5b080aa235a64_3.jpg.bc970ce78960bd91b35da61536437201.jpg

20 should be enough, I think :)    the yoke was assembled onto the gaff......not totally happy with it,  but some sanding should make it look a bit more presentable.  silly me did all this before I tapered it.....now I'll have to do it by hand.

5b080b9c99216_4.jpg.67af1bc20a71754f27b7eaf60e300c54.jpg

the sails are all cut out.......I may do as I did with the Norden sails,  just some simple gluing.   if I run into a need to sew......then I'll pull the machine out.  I need to do reef lines anyway.

5b080d86cfae4_5.jpg.20d04dc809d6d2538f74562cc0760543.jpg

drilling and eye bolts.......the bow got some of them........bow stays and fore stay.

5b080ddbaa909_6.jpg.99501e619288c6fde433a646f6823379.jpg

one for the boom.......which I will need to look in my dowels for.  for some reason,  there isn't one long enough.   I will add a boom rest on the transom too.

5b080e40044f8_7.jpg.269aeb60003a2ea41243bc6b52f8fe5c.jpg

another thing I noticed,  is that there a no numbers for the bow......no decals or anything.   I will make some with the decal program,  along with a name for her on the transom.   com'on now..........gotta have a name?@!?!?!  something to do with Holland....any Ideas?......."toul-lyp"?  more parts have been painted.  I have been adding eye bolts to the bow spirit.  I have some of those brass bands,  but none of them fit........it's OK though.....I have plenty of flat brass sheet to cut up  ;) 

5b080fc492bc3_8.jpg.36d83960a7d45446b64c1f99d94991bb.jpg

more planning.......I need to make the fife rail........then work on fitting out the main mast.  thanks for look'in in  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you Bob :)    good to hear I'm going in a positive direction  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did finally start plotting the deck layout.   the only way I was going to get the bow spirit set up was to assemble it.   the bow spirit had a really bad angle to it....but I sanded the yoke base down and took some of it away.  I also could have positioned the yoke further back from the bow stem.......with CA though,  you only get a one time chance.   it all starts with the post for the fife rail...the rail will have to sit on top of the yoke.  I wish I had taken pictures from the beginning.......but this is what I arrived at.

5b09ee1659768_1.jpg.fff5768a114c97fea153436d02a18680.jpg

5b09ee5c97552_2.jpg.0e33c7bbcfe912aebeac1fa9445129e4.jpg

I probably will need another eye bolt or two......but I think I can add them without too much problem.  I needed to see this in the flesh.   the forward cabin was added to the deck layout.  this was measured from the diagram.

5b09ef4f7c3c6_3.jpg.168699221f973b71693d172a5ec9e0cc.jpg

the first pair of posts were added as well.   

5b09efbf41ed8_4.jpg.5e13690c4515e139b19c9b942e1bbfa2.jpg

5b09efce57dd3_5.jpg.cfff63459924ac2cdec22a123c6c5f7c.jpg

I could have brought the bow spirit & yoke back a bit further,  but I don't think it would have done much more to relieve the slight angle it's on.   now it's get the mast fixed with it's eye bolts,  so I can position the sail winch and horse.   hard to tell if there is much in the way of standing rigging,  but I am going to run at least one fore stay.......a good portion of the bow spirit's length,  is the run for the traveler for the jib.  there is what I would consider a flying jib....I'll see what factors in for it.

5b09f2335c77d_6.jpg.ec1a4f64db7e914346b49e1d35351bf5.jpg

I.m taking Tuesday off.........more to come  ;)        thanks for look'in in!    thanks as well for all the likes...your too kind  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: