Nordsee Krabbenkutter 1900 by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Authentic Models - 1:48

ahhhhhhhhhhh!......Tuesday!  :)   I'm off today.......actually I came home early yesterday.....there was no work.   I found one trailer I could work on,  but I was finished with it by lunch time.   we all decided to have a cook out for Memorial day,  so I had a super lunch and came home.  Wal Mart {even though we don't get the holidays off}  will supply luncheons for their observance,  but we as a shift planned on something a bit more elaborate.  we got to bring some subs {sandwiches} home,  because they brought some down to the shop.   cold subs VS hamburgers,  hot sausage,  and Kielbasa {and all the fix'ins}....... what would you pick?!?!?!?! :) 

anyway........on the boat front,  I was thinking of the boat numbers and name of the boat........I should make some decals.   XF-103 is the boat number,  and I thought up two cute little names for her.   the problem came when I looked......all I have is white decal paper...I have no clear sheets.   I went onto my bag of pre printed decal sheets {from past projects},  and found a sheet that I hadn't used the entire sheet.  even though I sprayed it with decal bonder already,  it shouldn't matter.   I made 'em up......sized them down to the most probable size.......and printed them out.   I sprayed them again with the decal bonder,  and they had all weekend to dry.  they should be good to go now.   I have a couple of chores to do this morning........I hope to get something done for an update later on.

thanks for all the likes.....glad to have yuns follow'in along {Piet's teaching me English} :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great work mate - very tidy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks OC  :)   this morning I started to add the eye bolts on the mast.   for the boom........I didn't have a kit dowel long enough,  but I had just the thing in my dowel inventory.   I went out one day and bought an assortment of different sizes........just in case I did another trawler {guess we all know that's a probability  ;) }.   it's tapered and drilled,  as is the gaff.  update soon  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

hey there Lawrence!   I know the tree well ;)    we used to cut down the young ones and use them for stakes up in the hayloft back home {when we were kids}.  they worked great in holding the loose hay in the loft.........tall,  skinny,  and  straight  :)    you've started the Oliver Cromwell??!?!?!   I'll have to take a look!

thanks for the good word........made the sails {poorly,  but I made them}  and getting basis for the rigging ready.   I should have more to add soon.   thanks for looking in and the kind comment  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hey there just a quickie to let ya know I haven't forgotten bout this one.   I've been doing the little things.......like making the decals......

5b1ac14f0ac53_1.jpg.483a1fceec9c3e4037f7b53b7e6d6c63.jpg

I'm adding a name on the transom.....these are the two I'm thinking of.    I found a decant dowel to make the boom,  and added the pivot anchor on it so far.

5b1ac20142911_2.jpg.04c5cb7d9dd8ad53c0092b32254385f3.jpg

for the mast and gaffs,  I've been drilling holes and adding the eye bolts.   I used the dead eyes to mark them........they are in thought to be used for the shrouds,  but I might go with smaller ones.  after all,  this is a small model......they might look out of scale.

5b1ac27e368d1_3.jpg.d38e36146f40b8e3ed67e655ea0986ce.jpg

5b1ac288aaeaa_4.jpg.746c67c79b25adb2eb35103ac77510c0.jpg

and I sewed the sails.   they are a bit rough at the moment......I need to trim the thread.   I ironed them to flatten them out,  but left some of the flutter,  form the sewing.

5b1ac2f704ce2_5.jpg.e7e1a672710aec81a4628ffb19a7f4c1.jpg

5b1ac2fe2df02_6.jpg.50597c5acab7a34630d70a3292a02f22.jpg

the next step will be to start tying blocks where they need to go,  and drill holes for more eye bolts and belayments.  I will have another update real soon !

thanks for the good word and look'in in  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had these pictures from last week........no worries,  I'm still work'in on the destroyer.  I need to make a few cleats.......the Billing's cleats I have are too big.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence.........I have smaller dead eyes that I might use.  I know.........I couldn't come up with more colorful names.   I will try and have an update soon.

thanks for look'in in  :) 

thanks also for all the likes........really appreciate it!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I worked on her a little bit today.   thinking that I have the mast fitted out,  I decided to cement it into the deck.  room for the horse will be a little tight,  but it should work out fine.  

5b21e8222f402_1.jpg.4db22c347366ffca6997de599eac0a87.jpg

the boom and gaff are now painted as well.  if I need to add anything,  I can simply drill it later.

5b21e871e108d_2.jpg.9200ee89d0d25b4ebd3e2d62fd42853b.jpg

I hope to have a bigger update  tomorrow :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've been trying to get the latest update up for you folks to see.   I started to do some pre rigging........fore stays........I also got the horse in place.

5b2845b07b63c_1.jpg.27cb4998807e33b0094796fb2f4f026c.jpg

5b2845bcc9a78_2.jpg.f148f7de658d63b639f62a0a27ce0cc8.jpg

the winch is in place,  after winding some thread on it.   I also added the main cabin......an effort to get some progress done on her.   

5b28464151c58_3.jpg.045e03aa9c6c0eb1e29803096f5f48cb.jpg

5b28464be7a34_4.jpg.2679231f643588c9890fad4e19dd5ce9.jpg

hope to have more done on her soon.........thanks for look'in in.  thanks for the likes as well  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wowser  your motoring along with her now  -  lovely work my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks OC.......and thanks for all the likes  :)   now to do more of the rigging,  and get the sails on.  appreciate  ya'll look'in in  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm not done yet Robert.......I've got the rest of the rigging ahead of me ;)   I'm still not completely happy with the sails,  but I'm going to use them anyway,  since this is a work boat.  the traveler is crude......but will do for the same reason.   I did some more painting to finish off the gaffs and booms.....they are ready to have the blocks added to them.  I started to rig them for tying.   the decal were another let down.......depending on how you want to look at them.   I guess you can't use decal paper that has already been through the process.   I gave them a coat of decal bonder,  but for some reason,  it didn't trap the ink very well.   as I was applying the decals,  some of the black came off.   although they look shoddy,  they have the look as though time has eroded them,  and look as though they need a repaint.

5b2c74930896b_1.jpg.f39706da6a9148bb41500ea5528c8b4a.jpg

5b2c74a31b9c3_2.jpg.b02a7c5b521035573a579ef91f9b3528.jpg

to make things worse,  I couldn't cement the aft hatch in place,  because I had installed that rear porthole.   I removed the porthole and filled the hole with filler,  sanding it down and painted over it.  the aft hatch can now be cemented in place.

5b2c754341b7e_3.jpg.bf366048dc43076a6fa85b4b1a08c569.jpg

5b2c754ebc2d9_4.jpg.a0f4e8646d3be8c7670e0c35eabaf0b8.jpg

the tiller is almost ready to be installed.....that's next.   until the next update.........thanks for look'in in  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the other side looks a bit better.......I was kinda put out by it,  until I thought about it.   it nice when you can solve a problem by coming up with a reason for it  ;) 

thanks for the good word Carl :) 

pictured is one more thing I need to change.......can you see it?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Came late to this build, but like what you are doing on it. I have several of these kits, and will continue to follow yours. Good job!

thanks Ron and Robert......my first time with a solid hull.  it's been interesting.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Denis. Hmmmm, artificially aged sails, should work ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet and Sam.........I like it when mistakes turn into something good.  :)    as with the sails being not so perfect......they should fit right into the build.

so Yesterday.......I did what I've been putting off....the shrouds.  I was going to down size the dead eyes to 3.5 mm,  but the 5 mm were sitting on the table and I went with them.   the boom is now cemented in place........I was going to wait till I had the blocks tied on,  but the heck with it.....I can do it later.  the holes for the dead eyes were drilled,  so that the shaft will go into the deck,  from under the cap rail.   saves marring up the outside of the hull.

5b325487d2e04_1.jpg.83effa2a7ef3b00ee4014df1ad08e263.jpg

then the port side was done first........the shroud lines were tied on,  and I used a jig to space the lanyard length.

5b32552ad5d51_2.jpg.fe20483b2614e17479f626a949ed7282.jpg

5b325536a06ac_3.jpg.14fc0d95edde3e23cce5986bc5dfb41b.jpg

the starboard side was done next.

5b325556c2de5_4.jpg.29ef991ad28a8c605124b9979f302715.jpg

5b32556cae62a_5.jpg.44aa5afe1c3fa01a7669815fe2e943cd.jpg

the two back stays will be next,  and then gaff can be added.  that will be the first sail to go on.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John.....and thanks to everyone for the likes  :)    I got to do some more on her today.  now I kinda knew this from the start,  but I thought I might be able to use them......but the double blocks included in the kit are pretty poor.   misaligned holes.....and  as I found out,  very brittle.  I tried to drill the holes a tiny bit larger and the first one just crumbled.  these are 3 mm double blocks {I believe}........good thing I ordered some {I may need to order more for the Thermopylae}.

5b33062bb2643_1.jpg.6ef82760f614930c8f8939cc277bc7b7.jpg

so,  I rigged up the pendants for the back stays..........darn pain in the tookus for my fat fingers, and the eye bolts for the stationary ones.

5b3306ab3e2f0_2.jpg.6e62676f3281e48698f8ac8fbe7421e8.jpg

as can be seen,  I terminated the dead eye lanyards.........and the first block goes to the throat halyard.

5b3307107e726_3.jpg.9bf9a64e8ac520473be1d8e5272ec3a2.jpg

then I added the last two pairs of posts and the tiller.

5b33073bf11b4_4.jpg.654a126e0afc2724bb1cd2c486aa66e3.jpg

the port side back stay is now rigged....

5b3307a2d0266_5.jpg.39dcbea08e79f12108c3fe5d8985d612.jpg

...and then the starboard side.  I just noticed that the starboard post didn't hold....cheap CA glue  :angry:

5b330830d1338_6.jpg.ac91c00b26e850d786b05ed3e27f22c9.jpg

I think these are the last line to rig before the sails start to go on.   so I'll be working on the gaff next {as soon as I re-cement that pesky post}.

5b3308bb653a0_7.jpg.fb85fbace35603df84078365fcc0562d.jpg

5b3308c91a8b4_8.jpg.784110ea39c1a9e222d3430732aa5a6a.jpg

I tried to get some decent pictures..........but a black table top doesn't help much.   hope to have more on her tomorrow

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

POPEYE - I really enjoy watching these 'little' boats get built. Your T78 Norten had so much character to her. As for your starboard post not holding, I kept having the same issue with my main boom crutch 'popping' off, so I drilled a fine hole into the bottom of the crutch; inserted a small pin; then glued it into the deck to help give it more support. (look at me, like I know what I'm doing LOL). I'm positive you already have all of your bases covered! This is going to be another one of your beauties!!! Thanks again for your kind words along the path - Cheers :cheers:

Edited by Fright

Robert O

thanks for the good word Robert.........we are all still learning  ;)    these small projects are cool,  but I feel more comfortable building the larger ones......fits my "finger" size :)   I appreciate the kind word....at the moment,  I'm doing the next step.   I should have an update later  :)  

thanks for look'in in and thanks for all the likes!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great mate - tidy and so busy looking.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks OC....and again,  thanks for all the likes :)    today was gaff raising day.   I spent part of the morning tying blocks and putting them where they will be needed.   I also began to make the parrel strap for the yoke.   I have an abundance of those tiny beads,  which I will be using to make it.

5b341b59b9add_1.jpg.16cd8fce264f98390351407540a4bc3b.jpg

...a double block for the throat halyard,  which will be rigged with the winch {I thought it was logical}.   more single blocks were tied in place on the mast too.....I drilled the holes a tiny bit larger,  for ease of rigging.

5b341c091d06c_2.jpg.b2ba9576981fb4eba81f0bc2f01508d9.jpg

...and I took care of that pesky post.

5b341c333efca_3.jpg.652af77c9efe78728b85a43104037a3b.jpg

the gaff was rigged with all the necessary blocks......time to string the beads

5b341c80e8bd6_4.jpg.9770296950d1f041b1e8b4a25be2568b.jpg

the winch rope was threaded through the throat halyard block,  ready to be rigged through the other block.

5b341d0f4a46f_5.jpg.65bdbd5fed26ecd7bdde15ee4bf56b7f.jpg

after the beads were strung..........on she went,  onto the mast.   I ended up having to redo the throat halyard line,  since I failed to notice that it got stuck inside the yoke!  

5b341d9166415_6.jpg.640e03185f6a931fb14c4de7b7cce984.jpg

in fact,  if you look close enough,  you can see it.......dummy I am!   I believe this is the peak halyard rope being rigged here....the trouble is,  I have no place to terminate it.

5b341e44cb988_7.jpg.80a1d7b7b913b0d978e5f74f0d8c767b.jpg

for the throat halyard,  it was e-z.......I left an eye bolt free above it.  but for the peak,  with no room to make up a fife rail,  decided to install a couple of cleats.  I didn't have anything smaller......these will have to do.

5b341ef1b6c56_8.jpg.216ebd2f8b74fa95770172aa7549beee.jpg

5b341efed526d_9.jpg.c328e54eb8cbf53dbf5e3781f9ba7af3.jpg

I put one on each side ,  since there is one more line that will need a place to terminate......I believe it to be called the boom vang.  I have the sail lashed to the gaff at this point in time,  adjustments are being made......but it's not a perfect fit.  I will have to get a little creative when it come to lashing it to the mast.

I should have some pictures of the fully rigged sail tomorrow.........if not tonight  ;)     thanks for look'in in :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had one more picture in the camera..........

5b34257b7dbf0_10.jpg.f46c9cfb1bb6e3e136263ead8f91a14a.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: