Nordsee Krabbenkutter 1900 by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Authentic Models - 1:48

Lovely work, no doubt you have eyed up your next project as well

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Great work! Won't be much longer now and you'll have another for the display shelf.

I agree with the comfort of working on the larger projects. When I built the 1:150 scale Bounty, I had to keep everything very simple as I did not have the resources nor the skills to work with blocks and fittings that would have been scale appropriate. As such, while it turned out nice, it looks more on par with a "souvenir" model than a true model of the Bounty.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

thanks for the good word folks........and to those who hit the like button.  it's a rainy day here folks....the perfect weather to focus my attentions to model building :)

thanks Kevin.......I do have a project planned,  but I want to assemble all of the add ons first.  once this project is off the table,  I'm likely to bring one on that is already in progress,  in the meantime.   I still have the HMAS Vendetta,  so I'll finish this one off as well.

thanks for the good word EJ......I like the smaller projects,  but I find them to be more tedious,  due to my fat fingers.   I was using the 'helping hands' to strop the blocks,  but I found it cumbersome,  so,  I did them by cementing the rope on first {in the groove}, and then seizing them afterwards.   it was just as well.....I still used the supplied blocks and they are a bit brittle....getting a little CA on then toughened them up  ;)    I have a supply of 3 mm double blocks that I could rely on, but I'm going to need them for the Thermopylae......so I tried to conserve.  I'm also one who likes to bash projects......these kits are nice and they do give you a little wiggle room to make modifications.  it was also nice that I stockpiled the smaller eye bolts too......all they supplied were the larger ones,  and they would have looked terrible put in places that didn't require them.   the kit doesn't differentiate between standing and running rigging either....good that I have a decent array of different threads to use.  it's nice that we all can put our own signature into our models,  to make them more life like,  and to make them our own ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

well folks......it's the end of my mini vacation.  I had an extra two days off this past week........I wish I had more.   with all this prep to hang the sheets,  I felt I owed it to yuns {I could go New Yorker,,,,,yous}........errr..that I should show you where I am with the main sail {?}......{sure....works for me}.  it's hung and lashed to the gaff.   the boom 'vang' has been rigged......now I'll have to tie another block for rigging the upper sail {I'll look up the name for it}

5b36d3f33b8ea_1.jpg.1b5a0014ef871b3a96bca51b07f2a2dd.jpg

I need to add two more cleats for the vang and the upper sail rope.  it's lashed at the lower left corner......and I adjusted the halyard,  so it takes up the slack.

5b36d4976e628_2.jpg.87d63ccd0ec828f3261580205060ba1d.jpg

this model probably could have benefited with some hoops.......man,  I hate after thoughts.   the gap is a bit wide along the mast....but I have an idea.  I'll bind it a few times with thread,  last it together.......so it will look like this

5b36d57818b5e_4.jpg.ca2a1ffb6ed07955b458cf90b6a61648.jpg

I'll dab it with some white glue and bunch it together,  so it looks like a single rope......I figure I'll make three more down the mast.  that should do the trick.  I also lashed it at the lower right hand corner too.

5b36d60d01759_3.jpg.4cdbe861eb6fa0bd643bf88b672669cd.jpg

you can see I already added one cleat on the port side.......I'll do another on the starboard side.   the rest of the time spent on her,  I've been making up more blocks for the jibs.   that should make her look right smartly  ;)   thanks for look'in  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking really nice, so transforms a ship whe you put a sail on her.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks gents...and thanks for the likes :)   get through the work week,  and I can do more.   we're in the beginnings of our first heat wave here....supposed to last through Weds or Thurs.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice work Denis.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thank you Piet :)     ...and thanks to those who hit the like button.   it's been a tough work week heat wise.....but I made it !   I'm hoping to finish her up this week.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So that will put you down to only two builds, what will you do with all that spare time?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I'm not at a loss for a project to replace it Lou.   if I were to draw up a list,  it would be a manifesto! :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm not at a loss for a project to replace it

To be honest, I kind of suspected that was the case. :D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 hours ago, lmagna said:

So that will put you down to only two builds, what will you do with all that spare time?

How about something like this  -  :o http://www.classicboat.co.uk/news/model-boat-show-dates/

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

ohhhhh....now your teasing me ;)    I'd be too afraid to get lost in the detail  :D  :D   

didn't get much done yesterday......the work week and mowing did me in.   I worked on the Vendetta during the day today...........perhaps I can get something done on the Nordzee this evening.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The sails really ad to the look Dennis.

You mentioned breaking a block, I found these at Micro Mark some time back, I found they are great for opening up holes in blocks or Chucks "Build them yourself "deadeyes filled with glue.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Size-Precision-Reamers-Set-of-6

They dont grab the wood and tear the way a drill bit does.

Sam

Edited by src
added info

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

thanks Sam.......I bookmarked it.  sounds like a useful tool.  maybe I can find others as well  {whoopie!!! I can throw away my stone axes!}  ;) 

thanks Brian.....this kit is a bit of an oddity.   but for one whose willing to devote the time with it,  it can be a nice little model.   definitely needed the enhancements,  to be sure ;)   part of me still thinks I should have redid the sails,  but using these will further the work boat quality.  I gave it definition between the standing and running rigging.   I haven't had a chance to do more on her yet.......but the next time I update,  I will have the jibs on her.

thanks for the good word gents....and thanks to those who hit the like button :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit lax in posting these pictures last week.......yea,  went to the Bahamas again  ;)     I had been pick'in away at her though....I got the lower jib sail on.  I'm not totally pleased with it,  but I'm going to carry on and finish the model.   I had begun to sew in the pseudo mast hoops........I did two more.

5b4f77ae2e62c_2.jpg.e52d39117b730f485e6223b6fd395f10.jpg

I did the last one and then gave each one a dab of white glue to combine the threads together.

5b4f7819d4c06_3.jpg.777c27312171f40905ccf48ba273d2bb.jpg

another pair of cleats were added and the rigging for the main sail was terminated.   it was a task enough to keep from snaring the line I already tied off.  looking at the jib sail, the best option was to add a bolt rope to it.

5b4f78ecaaf8d_1.jpg.ea59d8d486bed0457bacb0394c9d6add.jpg

the blocks were added to rig the sail and up it went.

5b4f792424863_4.jpg.6d209957b96187d67ab1138aeff11432.jpg

it has a bit of a billow to it...more than the main sail lets on.   a number of reasons went through my head,  as to why it's doing this..........the stay could have been higher on the mast.......then the block could've been higher........the shape of the jib......perhaps a bit of everything.  I then thought it might have some aesthetic value once the model is finished.  perhaps I can put some billow in the main sail.......there's room for it.   I didn't do anything to stiffen the sails.   I've added the blocks for the last two sails,  so I can rig them. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very impresisve mate,  much better at sowing than me,  last time I tried I sowed both my trouser legs together, and was walking around like "peg leg":o

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks OC.........truth be told though,  I did a terrible job with these.  I didn't even stiffen them like I've done with others.  I'd better practice up ......I do have a project in the closet that is going to need quite a few.   that's not for a while yet,  but I have one set already cut out {so I'm ahead of the game}. ;) 

thanks to those who hit the like button :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Getting lazy over there. Must be all that time laying out in the sun in the Bahamas... :P

Seriously though, they look fine. Sails are still one of the many items that elude m as to how to make them and make them look good. I give a lot of credit to all those who try as it is a tough skill to master. I'm sure you will make it all work out in the end! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

thanks John........hope your doing OK.  

thanks EJ.......they can be.  it's more the type of material thats used.......scale wise and such.   the best sail job I've done so far,  was the Susan A.   with these last two models,  I kinda sluffed off,  not making them the way I normally do.   I added some white glue to the edge of the main sail and let it hang for a while......it didn't quite billow out the way I would have liked,  but it will do.  thanks for the good word!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

inching closer to the finish line.   the yard that yields the gaff top sail is now fully painted,  after being held in a clothes pin for it's initial painting.

5b51f9d817cd4_1.jpg.dd5c3f3f05631f80ee6c3a957815c13f.jpg

in correction.......what I called the jib earlier,  is actually called the stay sail on a gaff rigger.   the one I will be adding is called the jib........and if I was adding another sail,  it would be called the flying jib.

5b51fad3bd358_2.jpg.da71f1ee0c3df6d61c7c52e72f6a1e16.jpg

the jib was fastened to the running rigging before it will be added to the model.

5b51fb5d90446_3.jpg.6d6900c147ccae5d32302697d2772fb0.jpg

....and the gaff top sail was lashed to the gaff.

5b51fb8c1d3d5_4.jpg.81d57671e7d93602a59975695b34a96d.jpg

now.....to get them on the model.   thanks all for look'in in.....update soon ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

after posting this last update.....I ended up over at the table.   sizing up the last two sails,  I found that the gaff top sail is going to need to be higher on the mast.  the cut of the sail...I will have a tough time terminating the aft corner of the sail to the main sail gaff.   looking at the jib sail,  it doesn't need any hardware adjustments at all.   I hung the sheet!  :) 

rigging the top corner.........then the bottom through the traveler.........adjust the length of the traveler rigging.......until I had the stay sail and the jib lined up with one another.

5b520f7fc4f40_1.jpg.c1f88d227ae4c5b204def98c997017d9.jpg

the rigging through the traveler........which is simply a ring with an eye bolt fastened to it.

5b520fe949e2e_2.jpg.1a3e1cbde07b592d32895bb5620863af.jpg

the belaying pins were installed....I used four of them.   the lines were run through the holes and then fitted the pins to hold them in place.  a tiny bit of white glue was used here as well.

5b521074f3f22_3.jpg.99e4e1526b2886421ea6f6722d015de8.jpg

the sheet lines were terminated at the posts...one starboard,  and one fastened port.  I shaped the sail with my fingers.........it will pass muster.

5b52112643a19_4.jpg.8b2ca38a4d40d31e476dd5c6c02cdb34.jpg

it can be seen how I billowed out the main sail.   I should be able to put some in the gaff top sail too.   I'm waiting for the eye bolt to dry,  so I can tie on another block........then I can string that one up :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Sjors.......almost done  :)    thanks all for hitt'in the like button!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

that would be a very interesting road trip :D  :D   I have done very little to these sails.......usually after they are sewn,  I paint them with diluted white glue,  and drape them over a rolled up towel,  to give them a billowed look.   these got no treatment at all.  I have the last sail ready to put on,  but I still need to tie off the other sails first.  I haven't done anything to her of late........but I gotta get a move on.  I need to bring the Thermopylae back to the table.  I'm hoping to get back to her on my days off.   thanks for the good word and look'in in :) 

thanks to all who hit the like button!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

brush fire is hardly the word I'd use 🚒  hope your not in the middle of it all!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice!!! looking build Denis...(as usual )....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)