HMS Victory by GrandpaPhil - Mantua - Scale 1:98 - Kit-Bash

Two half finished carronade sleds:

74326ADE-EBA3-47A1-872E-DD7D155670C3.jpeg

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks, Vthokee!  

I’m very happy with how they are turning out.

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

They look perfectly to scale  - some canons in kits that I have seen (and used)  have been way over scale.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking at them, next to the ones that came in the kit, you can really see the difference.  The ones Mantua provided were way oversized for the upper deck.  I’m glad that I decided to make the rest myself.  I’m very happy with how they are turning out.

I made the decision that I am going to run a reduced version of the outhaul tackle and the breech rope on the guns on the upper gun deck.  They won’t really be visible, but they will be there.

The carronades are test fitted on their sleds:12ACE337-7FA1-4F62-AE38-6C68EA781C08.thumb.jpeg.380bbed9782577de50dfe1504d93d1c3.jpegCEAB02B9-F70D-4CFD-A84E-A29D1045071A.thumb.jpeg.e184f6da5449202f8c7d23d66aa8e0ea.jpeg

And test mounted on the Victory:FCB7F1A0-02A3-4845-A047-B6EA5775ADE7.thumb.jpeg.2b91275c06e05a746deae772a357f60b.jpeg

The deck blocks need to be thicker.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Excellent work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks, OC!

Recently read through you entire build. Enjoyed the trip. What caught my eye was your reference to a book entitled Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Zu Mondfeld.... so much so I ordered it off the internet for $8. For $8 who could go wrong. Thanks for following my Victory build and all your positive comments. Should have the copper tiles completed today!

I’m glad that you enjoyed the build log.  I’ve learned a lot from this build.  Zu Monfeld’s book is my personal favorite quick reference for model ship building.  I’ve read it so many times that I‘ve had to replace it twice.  

Well done on the copper tiling!

Note to self person: if I’m going to use acrylic paint on pieces made from card, then perhaps I should consider sealing said parts first to avoid problems with them delaminating and generally falling apart.

Seriously though, I had the same problem with the gun carriages on the Prince de Neufchatel too, so if you plan on making models from card then I would recommend sealing prior to painting.

Thank you all for the comments and the likes!

For this week’s episode of And Now For Something Completely Different, we have an M5A1 Staurt in 28mm Scale:

I had to build it.  

It did not come with decals, so I freehanded the markings.

A65727C5-B583-44EB-8732-5D225C719520.jpeg

9B5E08B3-BD46-4D2B-AAC5-D04D7BE408C8.jpeg

790B2E14-D74D-4651-AEE5-7FA86B98C0E0.jpeg

00621FEE-50E4-4245-849C-E996B74A264D.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

And now back to our regularly scheduled program:

I have the gun carriages mostly painted.

I am attaching the guns.

Once those are done, I will add eyebolts, and all remaining iron strapping, then finalize the paint.

868DCBB8-CA27-4219-B02A-BC36234C4A1E.jpeg

6F794FCF-3D7F-445E-8290-1BD304F1F7ED.jpeg

Another great diversion Phil 👍😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I’ve been working on the cannon and carronades.

All barrels are glued to their carriages or sled as appropriate.

I made the jackscrews for the carronades.

I started making the iron banding.

I’ll make the eyebolts for the breeches on the cannon because of the diameter of the line that will be used for a breeching line.

I am using the Tichy eyebolts for the eyebolts going on the carriages.

I will install those after I finish all paint work.  As a quick side note, the deck block, which is part of the ship’s framing, will be getting repainted brown.

I did, however come to the decision to make the block and tackle systems, provided I have room.  

The guns going into the upper gun deck will only have breech ropes and inhaul tackle, but I am intending to fully rig the quarter and spar deck guns/carronades.

I bought the double blocks from Model Expo last week.

6FF734DB-436C-4B37-9E84-25790B620603.jpeg

E4349F2D-2C16-4FA1-8C6E-0E4EC47FD044.jpeg

D2CDDCE2-809B-40B5-88AE-BB1ECA5BACD3.jpeg

45FA27C7-83D4-4AA6-A1B9-671BEFD345B8.jpeg

43B216DA-D1F2-418D-BD60-63939EF9C7C8.jpeg

18DCDF91-BDAF-44A3-9B8E-609DF30375BA.jpeg

FFA2151D-4604-4FAF-BBB7-74ABB381E7A8.jpeg

You are a glutton for punishment Phil. So many small and detailed guns, I admire your dedication.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Received the book Saturday that you recommended entitled Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Zu Mondfeld. You were right.... the book is very informative and read half of it the first night.  Lots of information that you can use on the Victory and other builds.  Lots of little things that you wouldn't think of to put that extra bit of detail on your model.  Thanks again for the recommendation.

Edited by Daliab

You’re welcome!

Thank you everyone for the comments and the likes!

I am having a blast with this build.  It is giving me the opportunity to try out new techniques for my next builds, without having to worry about making mistakes.  

The hull is twisted, which cannot be fixed, so I am using the Victory as a learning tool and having a lot of fun in the process.

I will have to revise my carriage making techniques for next time because of some difficulties with the card stock delaminating.  

For my next build, during the creation and assembly of my bulkheads and center keel, I want to try to make a deck insert in the lower part of the hull, like Chris Watton does, to give the hull more rigidity and hopefully prevent the twisting issues that I have had in my last two builds, while ensuring that my bulkheads are squared off prior to gluing.  I am also going to make a proper building board next time to ensure proper support for the center keel.

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Thank you everyone for the comments and the likes!

I am having a blast with this build.  It is giving me the opportunity to try out new techniques for my next builds, without having to worry about making mistakes.  

The hull is twisted, which cannot be fixed, so I am using the Victory as a learning tool and having a lot of fun in the process.

I will have to revise my carriage making techniques for next time because of some difficulties with the card stock delaminating.  

For my next build, during the creation and assembly of my bulkheads and center keel, I want to try to make a deck insert in the lower part of the hull, like Chris Watton does, to give the hull more rigidity and hopefully prevent the twisting issues that I have had in my last two builds, while ensuring that my bulkheads are squared off prior to gluing.  I am also going to make a proper building board next time to ensure proper support for the center keel.

GrandPhil

Trying to learn from other's mistakes..... I'm trying get wrap my head around how your last two builds have became twisted.   Was the mistake due to not having a brace holding the keel straight?  Before I started the build on my Victory, there were lots of cautions about how to prevent builds from getting twisted.  A couple of causes from what I read was not ensuring the keel was straight and the other was in the planking process.  Planking: Only do a few planks on one side and then plank the opposite side in the same manner.  As for the keel, I made my own keel clamp from pictures of someone else's on this website. (would give credit if I remembered who).

I left the build in the vice until I was almost finished planking.  Haven't had any issues that I can see.  Message me and I can provide you additional pictures and text to make your own if you would like.  Hope this helps you in the next build.

20200220_121208_resized.jpg.dcca21c6c9174fbe2a1b697c79dd055a.jpg20200220_121222_resized.jpg

Edited by Daliab

I had three things working against me for this build.  The first is that the kit dates from 1991 and the plywood was not the greatest.  The second is that I did not use a building board (so it was unbraced).  The third was my own inexperience.  I know much more now than when I started.

For the Prince de Neufchatel, I used Elmers glue on it, for everything, and it warped badly.  For any future card builds, I will use PVA glue, namely Monte Mart, as it is not water based.  I did not use a building board for that one either.

I will be using a building board for my next build, to ensure that the keel is kept straight.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Just now, GrandpaPhil said:

The first is that the kit dates from 1991 and the plywood was not the greatest.

Phil, how can you tell the year?  I thought I got a great deal on this same victory kit on eBay (cost me $125 total!).  Once I received it and opened it up I thought the quality of wood was great, however, everything will need to be cutout with I assume a jig saw as it is not laser or stamped.  Was yours?  I’m guessing it is late 80’s early 90’s, but I don’t know when they started stamping or precutting the wood.  Any idea?

Mine was first generation laser cut.  

I found the date on the original sales receipt, in the box.

I have a Mantua Constitution from the same time period and it is also printed wood and not precut.

Personally, I’d use either a coping saw, a jigsaw or a scroll-saw, depending on how you wanted to cut them out. 

Don’t get me wrong, for the age of the kit, the quality of the wood was good.  However, it was still over 25 years old when I got it.  Plus, I bought it from someone in the desert and I live in a temperate zone, with high humidity.  I made the problem worse because I started it a couple weeks after I got it, so the wood had no time to season in my climate.

I figure I’ll do the same as you and hope for the best and just get better.  Plus after cutting all the pieces I’ll have to have gained skills lol.  If it comes out half as good as yours I’ll be happy.  Your guns look great btw.