GrandpaPhil

HMS Victory by GrandpaPhil - Mantua - Scale 1:98 Kit-Bash

Thank you very much, Mark!

I’m trying.  I’ve made my fair share of mistakes on this build, but she’s finally coming together.

I’m learning as I go.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

51 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Thank you very much, Mark!

I’m trying.  I’ve made my fair share of mistakes on this build, but she’s finally coming together. 

As have I Phil, believe me. 

51 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I’m learning as I go.

Yep, me too. I have just finished up with a project outside of the shipyard. 3 years ago I cut down a cedar tree here on our farm. I made the Admiral a nice breakfast bar out of the heartwood. 

465750816_20191212_1646002.thumb.jpg.8dc446f88ad34cc8542ea91c3fee32fb.jpg

Edited by Wallace

Hi Phil, just thought I'd drop in and check out your Victory... She's a fine looking ship! Love the detail you've achieved especially hand carving those fiddly bits. I'll be following your progress and get some inspiration from you for my build too!

Thank you everyone for all the likes!

I’m glad you like the build!

I finished cutting out the starboard channels.

I still need to drill holes for the eyebolts and they all need painted prior to installation, but I have them sitting in their approximate spots so I can check fit and that they won’t interfere with the gunports. 

They will be pinned in place, in addition to being glued, for strength.

C59159AE-5D5D-4243-84C9-257EEA2B7AA4.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Thank you all for the likes and the comments!

I have channels on the port side!

The rest are painted and almost ready to install.

I am pinning them to the hull.  This means that I am using steel pins (sewing pins) to reinforce the glue so the channels do not buckle under the stress of rigging.

A8B74BE1-C6F1-4123-8D27-1274A7CB581F.jpeg

Thank you very much!

I’m debating how I want to make the mouldings, carve from 1/16” stock, or make them from card like I did on the bow?

I am leaning towards the card at this point.

Edited by GrandpaPhil
Autocorrect

Thank you all for the comments and the likes!

Merry Christmas to all!

I am using card stock strips to give the impression of mouldings (due to the small scale).  It looks a little whopper jawed (hillbilly for crooked) in the picture, but that is because of alignment issues from merging a kit with the plans from the AOTS.  It should come out well.

F1936E62-3CAD-4EE6-A6EC-D2D914137058.jpeg

Thank you very much!  Merry Christmas!

I will admit though, I’ve been pretty much playing a game of make it up as I go along.  I did that with the Prince de Neufchatel too.

It is working though.  I’ve been having a lot of fun.  I’m learning a lot, too.

This is a great learning experience for my next project (either the Edmund Fitzgerald, the Triton or the Winchelsea).

I have the mouldings on the aft section of the starboard side done.  I am getting ready to start the midship portion.

6C87DEB0-D42A-460F-8A1B-7F6FD1CFE13A.jpeg

C6B1E7AA-FEA2-4495-B9FC-9289210BE5EA.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

The starboard midships portion of the mouldings are done.  The 1/16” second from the top part of the trim extends all the way to the bow, but the piece that I used is already painted black, so you can’t see it in the picture, but it is there.

78A49129-AC96-40D3-8D21-B22B77A1127E.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

The mouldings on the starboard side are done.

I discovered that I made the forward bulwarks incorrectly.  I will fully address that issue when I make all the railings and the timberheads.  In the meantime I filled in the cutouts that I made.

This is a learning project and I already knew that there were many flaws in this model, so I will correct what I can, within reason and just move on.  I will remember my mistakes for future projects so I can do better.

5B74D4FD-50B2-497E-A5D1-D3B50502996D.jpeg

AF44CD59-692C-442F-A84C-442C8B83049E.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil