HMS Victory by GrandpaPhil - Mantua - Scale 1:98 - Kit-Bash

I made a front piece and side piece for the entry port.

I did the carvings.  They’re not the best, but they’re the best I could do.  I’m happy with them

I’m still getting better and the whole point of my Victory build is to use it as a learning project.

DFE2136B-87EF-45FC-87C9-08E30D0CEDCE.jpeg

5DCF0345-7F9D-4F1F-BC1E-20090755E409.jpeg

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very nice work Grandpa, she will be a real beauty when you finish with her. The Mantua Victory was always one of my favorite representations of the Victory. Oh and by the way, Grandpa, your not going to mimic every single thing on the model to the real ship, at best all you can do or hope to do is suggest, which is what your carving are doing, and a fine job I might add at that. 

Edited by mtdoramike

On 8/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, CDW said:

I am impressed with your tenacity, Grandpa Phil. Your Victory is really shaping up nicely.

I must shamefully admit that once I got to the "coppering" of the hull, I backed off and have never picked back up on construction of my HMS Victory.

Following your build thread may give me the encouragement needed to start mine back up. 

That is a bit shameful CD hahahahahahaha, like they say admitting it is always the first step. 

1 hour ago, mtdoramike said:

That is a bit shameful CD hahahahahahaha, like they say admitting it is always the first step. 

And that was a year ago! I hang my head in shame...🤥

My wife and I are working on getting our house sold. Many things to do in preparation. We intend on buying another home and moving to New Hampshire. I won't be doing any work on the Victory most likely until after we move, and that's another year out at least.

WOW CD, moving from a temperate climate like Florida and moving to New Hampshire, is a big move and require big adjustments I'm sure. Why don't you move over here near me and get out of that Tampa rat race. It's a bit more laid back here, although the lack of hobby shops is a downer. I wind up ordering just about everything I need on line. I'm just busting your chops, I'm sure you will get around to it one day. I know if I have an unfinished model laying around, it will nag me to no end, usually through my wife until I get back to it. 

mike

Lol to both of you!

Thank you all for the comments and the likes!

Seriously though, CD when you get around to coppering your Victory, let me know.

I learned all sorts of valuable lessons between the Victory’s hull and the Prince de Neufchatel’s.

The first is that if you decide to use copper tape, use new copper tape that sticks well.

I used old copper tape that I found on sale for the Victory, it took me about 30-40 hours to copper it.  The tape didn’t stick well and I had to reinforce it with glue.

I used new copper tape from an electrical supply house for the Prince de Neufchatel.  It took me about 4 hours to copper the hull.  Peel and stick with a little bit of fabrication involved.

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

I have the second one under way.  The outer side is done.  The inner side has a pattern glued to it and is started.

It’s going better than the first one.

D96CF85E-ED00-4EAE-AE94-9D8C14DF9DCB.jpeg

052A7AEE-7A46-4389-9D5A-06E5F0CE2089.jpeg

6 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

WOW CD, moving from a temperate climate like Florida and moving to New Hampshire, is a big move and require big adjustments I'm sure. Why don't you move over here near me and get out of that Tampa rat race. It's a bit more laid back here, although the lack of hobby shops is a downer. I wind up ordering just about everything I need on line. I'm just busting your chops, I'm sure you will get around to it one day. I know if I have an unfinished model laying around, it will nag me to no end, usually through my wife until I get back to it. 

mike

This post card photo made me realize just how far north I really was in New Hampshire.

img20190812_19224204.jpg

17 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I have the second one under way.  The outer side is done.  The inner side has a pattern glued to it and is started.

It’s going better than the first one.

D96CF85E-ED00-4EAE-AE94-9D8C14DF9DCB.jpeg

052A7AEE-7A46-4389-9D5A-06E5F0CE2089.jpeg

Nice work on your Victory. I just read through your log and have 2 questions, why did you put the Victory on hold for 8 months to build the Prince? Reason I’m asking is as I retired last year I decided to get back into modeling. I built many plastics as a teen. Wood seemed like a great medium and would allow me to build my skills. My goal is to build the Victory by Caldercraft and the Constitution by Bluejacket. My skills aren’t ready for that so I’m following a bit of the Hunt approach and started with some beginner ships and am now working on intermediates(current build is Mayflower). Hopefully by next year I’ll be ready for one of these. I agree that the more you build the more your skills and confidence to tackle new things grow. Love to see your card stock work. Second question was what tools are you using to do your carvings. This is an area I want to build skills in as well. 

Thanks 

I took the 8 months to build the Prince de Neufchatel because I found Ab Hoving’s tutorial on scratch building from card and I was frustrated with the Victory (what I wanted to accomplish exceeded my skills).

Ab Hoving’s tutorial is excellent.  It motivated me to try a card scratch build.

Plus, I needed more practice.

I chose the Prince de Neufchatel because I kept seeing build logs of the Model Shipway kits and I thought with it being a Baltimore Clipper that it would be a relatively quick build (I was wrong).

I also never expected to get past the making the hull stage.  I expected that the model would end up in the trash.

I didn’t have confidence in my skills.

Every time a problem would come up, I’d do research here to find a solution, or I would just power through it (making the cannons and carronades).  I would adapt and overcome.

By the time I had a fitted out deck I realized that I had come too far to turn back, so I kept going.

Then I decided that I would like a fully rigged model with sails.  The project grew from there.

I had the most fun that I have ever had building a model and I learned a lot.

I used a scalpel with a number 11 blade to do my carving.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

15 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I took the 8 months to build the Prince de Neufchatel because I found Ab Hoving’s tutorial on scratch building from card and I was frustrated with the Victory (what I wanted to accomplish exceeded my skills).

Ab Hoving’s tutorial is excellent.  It motivated me to try a card scratch build.

Plus, I needed more practice.

I chose the Prince de Neufchatel because I kept seeing build logs of the Model Shipway kits and I thought with it being a Baltimore Clipper that it would be a relatively quick build (I was wrong).

I also never expected to get past the making the hull stage.  I expected that the model would end up in the trash.

I didn’t have confidence in my skills.

Every time a problem would come up, I’d do research here to find a solution, or I would just power through it (making the cannons and carronades).  I would adapt and overcome.

By the time I had a fitted out deck I realized that I had come too far to turn back, so I kept going.

Then I decided that I would like a fully rigged model with sails.  The project grew from there.

I had the most fun that I have ever had building a model and I learned a lot.

I used a scalpel with a number 11 blade to do my carving.

Thanks!!

Great seeing you back on your Vic  all the best  - I must make more of an effort to keep up with your fresh approach  with your build.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I came to the conclusion that the cutwater has to come off and be replaced.  The profile of the one from the kit doesn’t match the profile of the one from the AOTS which has the plans that I’m using.  I’ll make a card template to mark off my cuts on the model (to be made with a coping saw) and the piece of basswood that I will be making the replacement from.

I’m going to do that after I finish the entry ports (I hate leaving stuff unfinished), because I need to do that before I go too much further so I don’t damage all the rest of my work.

I’ll probably make the head at the same time (which is always a good challenge) so I can paint it when I start doing touch ups on the rest of the hull.

I finished an entry port, it just requires trimming and painting.

430A77AC-6514-4D81-A257-2C2F4786C55A.jpeg

3FBBF0AE-748F-41E7-B1AA-27FB8F905330.jpeg

1E769E93-7858-4DB2-A002-EDBCD7E06615.jpeg

Starboard entry port is dry fitted!

I also sanded the top smooth.

F71ECA91-FEFD-4B31-8F38-EFB30629A3C9.jpeg

D05E912C-820E-41FB-8BD7-29DEDD9C724C.jpeg

B24BF829-8D22-44AE-9357-AE581F4DCD87.jpeg

1F322966-3950-44A6-B724-A3109BFDA2B6.jpeg

Thank you very much!

The second entry port is in work.  I made the first side piece.

C4A375E0-5149-4028-8F2D-9C1988554B9D.jpeg

F9FFD9BA-BD8F-496E-AC47-8A475D524A8F.jpeg

44520791-9306-4171-A1CC-ACB3915FE2D9.jpeg

Excellent work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi I realise I'm a little late into this log but reading through it I have say you're doing a beautiful job of her.

Your  carving is very good. 

Keep up the great work

Cheers Jon 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looking great, well done,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Excellent!  Congratulations on the upgraded shipyard!  I look forward to seeing updates!

I foregot to say phil  -  its the small scale extras that you are adding to your vic that are making her stand out,  and as we all discover its a slow progress but with thought  - that makes all  the difference  - loving your attention to detail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you all very much for the likes and the comments!

I finished the second entry port.  In my opinion it came out better than the first.

It’s still not perfect, but I’m happy with it.  I’m getting better.

91940AA3-90A6-49EF-8713-BF09136F379B.jpeg

6045632C-5707-4158-B120-DA95BFB20409.jpeg

B47D46D7-CD59-420A-A5A5-BF2B93CCE7DD.jpeg

8738F668-5642-4791-91D6-5C5CE799FB7F.jpeg

9634A13D-728E-4407-916A-63C6935C4440.jpeg

4509FA77-9DC1-4184-B179-66067B918703.jpeg

Thank you both!

I forgot to mention the most important part, I had a lot of fun making them!

I cut the nose off the Victory.  I am getting the replacement ready to install.

8F4C9341-F08E-4824-9021-11E26106C5F8.jpeg

B1F5776F-6D29-45D6-9756-9EFC251A1DCB.jpeg

New nose dry fitted:

45C3FF5F-CC15-43B4-8A19-E63A25920111.jpeg

The nose is all cut out now.  It still needs some minor sanding, but it will work.  I’m happy with it.

6387B955-48A5-47D1-B6D2-6FEA51DFC164.jpeg