Jump to content
GrandpaPhil

HMS Victory by GrandpaPhil - Mantua - Scale 1:98 Kit-Bash

Recommended Posts

Very nice work Grandpa, she will be a real beauty when you finish with her. The Mantua Victory was always one of my favorite representations of the Victory. Oh and by the way, Grandpa, your not going to mimic every single thing on the model to the real ship, at best all you can do or hope to do is suggest, which is what your carving are doing, and a fine job I might add at that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, CDW said:

I am impressed with your tenacity, Grandpa Phil. Your Victory is really shaping up nicely.

I must shamefully admit that once I got to the "coppering" of the hull, I backed off and have never picked back up on construction of my HMS Victory.

Following your build thread may give me the encouragement needed to start mine back up. 

That is a bit shameful CD hahahahahahaha, like they say admitting it is always the first step. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtdoramike said:

That is a bit shameful CD hahahahahahaha, like they say admitting it is always the first step. 

And that was a year ago! I hang my head in shame...🤥

My wife and I are working on getting our house sold. Many things to do in preparation. We intend on buying another home and moving to New Hampshire. I won't be doing any work on the Victory most likely until after we move, and that's another year out at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW CD, moving from a temperate climate like Florida and moving to New Hampshire, is a big move and require big adjustments I'm sure. Why don't you move over here near me and get out of that Tampa rat race. It's a bit more laid back here, although the lack of hobby shops is a downer. I wind up ordering just about everything I need on line. I'm just busting your chops, I'm sure you will get around to it one day. I know if I have an unfinished model laying around, it will nag me to no end, usually through my wife until I get back to it. 

 

 

mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol to both of you!

 

 Thank you all for the comments and the likes!

 

Seriously though, CD when you get around to coppering your Victory, let me know.

 

 I learned all sorts of valuable lessons between the Victory’s hull and the Prince de Neufchatel’s.

 

 The first is that if you decide to use copper tape, use new copper tape that sticks well.

 

 I used old copper tape that I found on sale for the Victory, it took me about 30-40 hours to copper it.  The tape didn’t stick well and I had to reinforce it with glue.

 

 I used new copper tape from an electrical supply house for the Prince de Neufchatel.  It took me about 4 hours to copper the hull.  Peel and stick with a little bit of fabrication involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

WOW CD, moving from a temperate climate like Florida and moving to New Hampshire, is a big move and require big adjustments I'm sure. Why don't you move over here near me and get out of that Tampa rat race. It's a bit more laid back here, although the lack of hobby shops is a downer. I wind up ordering just about everything I need on line. I'm just busting your chops, I'm sure you will get around to it one day. I know if I have an unfinished model laying around, it will nag me to no end, usually through my wife until I get back to it. 

 

 

mike

This post card photo made me realize just how far north I really was in New Hampshire.

img20190812_19224204.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I have the second one under way.  The outer side is done.  The inner side has a pattern glued to it and is started.

 

It’s going better than the first one.

D96CF85E-ED00-4EAE-AE94-9D8C14DF9DCB.jpeg

052A7AEE-7A46-4389-9D5A-06E5F0CE2089.jpeg

Nice work on your Victory. I just read through your log and have 2 questions, why did you put the Victory on hold for 8 months to build the Prince? Reason I’m asking is as I retired last year I decided to get back into modeling. I built many plastics as a teen. Wood seemed like a great medium and would allow me to build my skills. My goal is to build the Victory by Caldercraft and the Constitution by Bluejacket. My skills aren’t ready for that so I’m following a bit of the Hunt approach and started with some beginner ships and am now working on intermediates(current build is Mayflower). Hopefully by next year I’ll be ready for one of these. I agree that the more you build the more your skills and confidence to tackle new things grow. Love to see your card stock work. Second question was what tools are you using to do your carvings. This is an area I want to build skills in as well. 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the 8 months to build the Prince de Neufchatel because I found Ab Hoving’s tutorial on scratch building from card and I was frustrated with the Victory (what I wanted to accomplish exceeded my skills).

 

Ab Hoving’s tutorial is excellent.  It motivated me to try a card scratch build.

 

 

Plus, I needed more practice.

 

I chose the Prince de Neufchatel because I kept seeing build logs of the Model Shipway kits and I thought with it being a Baltimore Clipper that it would be a relatively quick build (I was wrong).

 

I also never expected to get past the making the hull stage.  I expected that the model would end up in the trash.

 

I didn’t have confidence in my skills.

 

Every time a problem would come up, I’d do research here to find a solution, or I would just power through it (making the cannons and carronades).  I would adapt and overcome.

 

By the time I had a fitted out deck I realized that I had come too far to turn back, so I kept going.

 

Then I decided that I would like a fully rigged model with sails.  The project grew from there.

 

 I had the most fun that I have ever had building a model and I learned a lot.

 

 I used a scalpel with a number 11 blade to do my carving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I took the 8 months to build the Prince de Neufchatel because I found Ab Hoving’s tutorial on scratch building from card and I was frustrated with the Victory (what I wanted to accomplish exceeded my skills).

 

Ab Hoving’s tutorial is excellent.  It motivated me to try a card scratch build.

 

 

Plus, I needed more practice.

 

I chose the Prince de Neufchatel because I kept seeing build logs of the Model Shipway kits and I thought with it being a Baltimore Clipper that it would be a relatively quick build (I was wrong).

 

I also never expected to get past the making the hull stage.  I expected that the model would end up in the trash.

 

I didn’t have confidence in my skills.

 

Every time a problem would come up, I’d do research here to find a solution, or I would just power through it (making the cannons and carronades).  I would adapt and overcome.

 

By the time I had a fitted out deck I realized that I had come too far to turn back, so I kept going.

 

Then I decided that I would like a fully rigged model with sails.  The project grew from there.

 

 I had the most fun that I have ever had building a model and I learned a lot.

 

 I used a scalpel with a number 11 blade to do my carving.

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came to the conclusion that the cutwater has to come off and be replaced.  The profile of the one from the kit doesn’t match the profile of the one from the AOTS which has the plans that I’m using.  I’ll make a card template to mark off my cuts on the model (to be made with a coping saw) and the piece of basswood that I will be making the replacement from.

 

I’m going to do that after I finish the entry ports (I hate leaving stuff unfinished), because I need to do that before I go too much further so I don’t damage all the rest of my work.

 

I’ll probably make the head at the same time (which is always a good challenge) so I can paint it when I start doing touch ups on the rest of the hull.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I foregot to say phil  -  its the small scale extras that you are adding to your vic that are making her stand out,  and as we all discover its a slow progress but with thought  - that makes all  the difference  - loving your attention to detail.

 

OC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
×
×
  • Create New...