GrandpaPhil

HMS Victory by GrandpaPhil - Mantua - Scale 1:98

Mark,

Looking forward to seeing progress on your Victory.  You’re doing well.

Quick question, does the Anatomy of Nelson’s Ships have a sail plan for the Victory?

I don’t know what these are called, but the hawse holes will be drilled into them.

I made them last night, from 1/8” thick basswood sheet, boiled them in a microwave, and bent them.  I let them dry overnight to shrink back to size and did the final shaping/installation tonight.

Next time I work on the Victory, I’ll be using an electric drill on it, to bore out the hawse holes and the hole for the bowsprit.  That should be interesting.

One thing that I hate about this kit is that there is no interior to speak of, which is awful when trying to run ropes into or out of the hull.

This is another reason that I have been learning to scratch build.

FAFD81F7-40C0-4695-9799-1EE722AA4F18.jpeg

Posted (edited)

The original was shaped wrong.  It came out too far and didn’t rise enough.

The AOTS plans for the head wouldn’t work if I had left it as it was.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

58 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

The original was shaped wrong.  It came out too far and didn’t rise enough.

The AOTS plans for the head wouldn’t work if I had left it as it was.

You are doing some fine work there - not always easy when doing scratch building.

OC.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:43 PM, GrandpaPhil said:

Mark,

Looking forward to seeing progress on your Victory.  You’re doing well.

Quick question, does the Anatomy of Nelson’s Ships have a sail plan for the Victory?

No Phil, it does not. It just has good information on the rigging. 

I like the way the bow is shaping up Phil. The Admiral bought me back some poster board from Walmart yesterday. I look forward to experimenting with that today. No doubt I will need yoir feedback and advice sir. 

34 minutes ago, Vane said:

Maybe its just the angle of the  photo but be careful so this is straight? 

I noticed that from above too Vane. If that's not straight it will mess with your riggibg on the bow won't it Phil?

This model has lots of issues.

I started it before I had the skills and knowledge to build it right.  That’s how I learn though.

It has more flaws and more problems than I can count (including a twisted hull).

Some originate from the age of the kit (1991).  Most originate from my mistakes and inexperience.

I had only built two real ship models prior to starting this one.  I built the Model Shipways Sultana and the Mamoli Endeavour.

I had built a few small boats before, but nothing approaching the complexity of this one.

I have a Lessons Learned file the length of my arm from this one that I will carry forward to the Triton, which will be my next build.

The point of the remainder of this build is for me to get better and is being used as a learning project.

I’m having a lot of fun experimenting with it.

I think we are all at various level of craftmanship, builds for various reasons and aims for various quality and can devote various of time to a Project. Most important, considering how much time this hobby requires, is that you enjoy yourself and make your model good enough for you. 

Personally, I am here to learn more and improve my skills and I also enjoy seeing projects developing. I rather look at the buildlogs that are active and quality is just one parameter that catch my eye when deciding what to follow. 

14 minutes ago, Wallace said:

That is a nice way and I feel the right way to look at it Phil. Lesser mortals would have given up by now :imNotWorthy:

I’ve been told before that I taught the mule how to be stubborn, lol.

Thank you for all the likes and the comments.

Working on the head and the bow.  I made a few trim pieces and two small carvings.

I’m getting set up to build the head pieces and the head rails.

It’s slow going and very finicky.  

That’s the fun part for me.

64A796FD-6707-43CA-B179-7D0C80A21F12.jpeg

FCC432B1-8886-43FB-B411-B07AE8D22B1B.jpeg

D7CC1175-50B7-4F64-AADE-1E5D5FA79674.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Quick intermission.

The Admiral loves ravens and crows.  I carved one in bas relief for her over the weekend.  It’s only primed right now.

I made it from 1/4” basswood.  I roughed it out with my trusty coping saw and did the carving with my trusty scalpels.  The #11 blade is a great all purpose blade and the #10 blade works great for altering thicknesses (like slimming down the neck and the wings).

I sanded it twice with 220 grit, once before the first coat of black and once after.

A2377F7E-39D9-48BB-8EF2-5D4E41982085.jpeg

16DCBA9E-CF81-4450-9D9E-51FB195E37E2.jpeg

09BA14D7-B246-4341-9CD6-1714F99F4175.jpeg

D280C6A8-104E-4234-B676-4970C586D76E.jpeg

81A48151-8AD1-45CF-BBAE-FC323C6A1508.jpeg

83CA8A01-BB5B-4B1B-994B-EB66103F21DF.jpeg

97BFE9ED-E583-40A5-AB8C-B6D13BE081DD.jpeg

Phil that is beautiful! What a nice gift for your significant other! My Admiral likes flamingos, I had made one out of plywood, just cut out and painted but I never thought to give it a 3D shape. Nice job sir.   

Thank you very much for the likes and the comments! 

I made the other badge for the starboard cathead and started the mouldings for the cheeks of the head.  

I’m using very thin strips of poster board to make them.

Quick note for the other beginning carvers out there, gluing the piece down helps a lot.  I just learned that.

F2871B4F-A3CC-428E-932F-417749448757.jpeg

946CF9AC-EFD5-4426-A1D5-7EE48DFE3940.jpeg

24DFF304-AED1-419D-94EE-5C5287BC8C0B.jpeg