U-2540 by Tecko - Revell - 1:144 - PLASTIC - interior view

Thank you @cog, @DORIS, and @BenF89 for your 'likes'. I appreciate it.

Filed the snipped ends off the bed railings.

Painted the bed linen and their aluminium frames. Also added more paint to the wardroom wall.

LD1Sne9.jpg

The Captain's chair is sunk into the floor, so I decided to cut it off and raise it (1 mm).

nNVjHVJ.jpg

You can see the slight illusion I made with the furniture. Painted the carpet along all the furniture sides, then painted the wooden tops and legs. It gives the solid tables and stools some empty space.

npxjdII.jpg

Peter.

Current Builds:  Wardell Bridge, Bridge on River Kwai, ADLIB-1, and the U-2540

Thank you @DORIS and @lmagna for your 'likes'.

I was getting a bit tired and lazy with the wardroom and ended up using some decals. Soon reminded myself why I prefer to not use them. However, they do come in handy with the really small details.

The kit showed an instrument panel decal for the captain's table. I thought that was odd, so I ended up putting it into use as a piece of electronics equipment for the sound (Hydrophone) room. Also included a table top and stool for that room. The decals for the Captain's room (bulkhead) looks out of place, and I wish I never used them.

MLOVntU.jpg

I am building the model in sections, just like they did with the real sub. I fit loosely together the parts of a section which has an effect on how it fits with neighbouring sections or bulkheads. Holding it all together level and straight, I then tack the parts together with tiny bits of super glue. When secured, I simply pull the whole section off the previous section's bulkhead. Each section only has one bulkhead (forward). I am hoping to avoid a long one piece interior which the hull has trouble fitting over. In this way, each section can be giggled into place, with the hull, before tacking them all together.

jOHVP8r.jpg

Painted the viewable stb wall onto the hull.

8lXafwj.jpg

Peter.

Thank you @hexnut, @Mirabell61, @BenF89@BANYAN, @Altduck, and @Canute for your 'likes'.

Not happy with the way the battery banks, below the wardrooms, are shown...well, they are not shown.

zj5c6Xs.jpg

This Revell kit has done similar with hiding the stb wall by placing torpedoes on the top rack. Here, the battery banks a nicely shown, but to no avail if one restrict themselves to only following the instructions (they should be called guidelines).

For showing the batteries, the only way around this is to either dispense with the wardroom floor, or create a cutaway cross-section of the top battery bank.

Decided to explore the cross-section idea.

Hv29H0o.jpg

RoITzGp.jpg

Ordered plastic filler when I started this model. I need it now to smooth out the cross-section, but I am still waiting for its arrival.

AkeUpqh.jpg

May still need to cut away some of the wardroom floor to shed more light on the cross-section. All the cutaway edges will be painted red.

Peter.

On 5/27/2018 at 4:45 PM, cog said:

Interesting ... hope those batteries do not have the same fault as those Samsung smartphone ones ... I see I'm not the only one waiting for "building materials"

Still waiting for the plastic putty, but something else arrived. N-scale plastic figurines. They are 1/150, just 0.02" (0.5 mm) smaller than 1/144. They sure are small. Had to trim off a fair bit of excess molding, and some had really baggy clothes and shirts. It takes me a few minutes per figurine to get them to look more human, and ready for repainting. Will add them along with the build from now on.

IvPj6G6.jpg

Peter.

Thank you @mtaylor, @Canute, @cog, and @BenF89 for your 'likes'.

The little figurines are so small (for me) that even with magnifying glasses I do not see the glaring mishaps that the digital camera can pick up. It is from seeing the photos that I go back and somehow patch up what is missed.

43yDKoq.jpg

LHT4lCP.jpg

Bottom centre photo shows a figurine, lean against the two bunker ends, glued in situ. In this way, the figurine stabilizes the overhanging bunkers and aligns the bunker nipples into the bulkhead when I later assemble the sections.

Peter.

Thank you @RGL, for your comment; and thank you @Canute, @BenF89, @mtaylor, @cog, @hexnut, and @lmagna for your 'likes.

I wish to create a mini-diorama in the battery compartment. A dramatic scene could be based on a dangerous situation is of a compromised battery: where leaking sulphuric acid reacts with salt water to release chlorine gas. This gas has a distinct yellow-green colour to it. The diorama is about a crewman investigating battery damage.

rtWRS1L.jpg

Glued and soldered two LEDs together which share a common cathode lead (earth). Had to file some of the plastic away first. Then soldered leads to the them. Installed the LEDs to the top battery bank. They are hidden, and hoping the two colour lighs will meld together. If not, I may have to use a medium that will aid in the blending. Anyway, much of the projected outcome won't be known until everything is in place. Fine-tuning will be inevitable for such a cramped dark space as the battery compartment.

uhTOmXB.jpg

While playing around with the battery banks I realised that there is a wall missing. It is part of the battery bay. Added more styrene.

To help increase light onto the subject, the back wall (hull) and ceiling got a coat of white gloss paint. Will add another coat tomorrow.

Altered one of the figurines to look as it he is creeping along the low central gangway, while holding a torch. Optic fibre is used for the torch. Eventually the LED and fibre will be blacked out, only having the light coming out of the torch end. Drilling into the LED to have the fibre inserted, and wrapping in foil really intensified the light through the fibre. It should look okay in situ.

6zgc2TN.jpg

Peter.

nice work on the sub so far.........your very handy with the brush  ;)   you have some really neat detail going on here........you've made quite a bit of progress since I last looked in.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you @popeye the sailor for your supportive comment. Much appreciated.

Thank you @popeye the sailor, @mtaylor, @BenF89@cog, and @Canute for the 'likes'.

Today I focused on the bulkhead between the wardroom and the Control room. decided to have the Captain entering into the Control room through the bulkhead doorway. Had to manipulate two figurines to get the right body position. Used some decals but still, if not more so, prefer using the brush. My hand is getting steadier while working on this model.

r9ROiHA.jpg

WMks1VW.jpg

Peter.

I love the sense of movement conveyed just by having the officer posed halfway through the hatch. Gives life to the model!

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Thank you @BenF89 for your comment. It has inspired me to try and create more movement with the other figurines.

Thank you @Canute, @cog, @John Allen, @BenF89, and @CDW for your 'likes'.

Well, I finished the cross-section. I learnt that it is better to use a 3D cross-section on a 3D model than using a 2D illustration. Next time I will do it differently.

It was not easy to paint. If I held the brush in a precarious position to draw the line I would start to shake. Another lesson learnt is that I am more steady painting lines horizontally than vertically (turning the job to suit). Next time I'll do better.

vjIsYBD.jpg

v6Spk7V.jpg

K2X6DGW.jpg

Looks like chlorine gas is lethal.

Peter.

• The title was changed to U-2540 by Tecko - Revell - 1:144 - PLASTIC - interior view