HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - Showcase Models -1/350 - Finished

2 hours ago, cog said:

Let's leave it at that, and stick to model building

:D:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I don't know how you guys do this stuff, I really don't. Such detail at such a scale. I had an idea to do a steel warship (perhaps HMAS Australia or a pre-dreadnought) but I think I'll just stick to timber and sail - I don't think I'd ever be able to approach this level of quality.

I dips me lid.

Steven

56 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

I don't know how you guys do this stuff, I really don't. Such detail at such a scale. I had an idea to do a steel warship (perhaps HMAS Australia or a pre-dreadnought) but I think I'll just stick to timber and sail - I don't think I'd ever be able to approach this level of quality.

I dips me lid.

Steven

Its all in the finger control and the telescopes we use ;)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Super nice work Carl, she looks splendid indeed.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for all the likes and positive comments (Greg, nothing to nag about ...?)

7 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

I dips me lid.

Steven

Steven,

It's not so hard as i seems. Some elements are not much more than a piece of brass rod, tipped with some glue, other elements require a bit of patience, telescope eyes, and nimble fingers. Something like you need for your build ... so 'at off to you sir

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Its all in the finger control and the telescopes we use ;)

OC.

Finger control ... I thought I neede what the Germans call "fingerspitzengefuhl" ... darn, now I need to get me a control box for each hand ...

cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

10 hours ago, RGL said:

SMS Seydlitz by Hobbyboss. Infini is bringing out a detail set later this year. 

Hmm, will this be a multi-player like Vendetta? I am interested.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, RGL said:

No nagging by me! You’re all over it. Looking forward to your rigging and joining the next build. 

No, no, no, no, no ... you are changing priorities, it wasn't to be the next build, but the next, next build if I recall well.

Rigging ... you are kidding me, rats ... all those lines ... first some more paint work. Got the paravanes, another reel, and the rack to tie the dinghies to in primer. In a few hours time they'll be ready and I can stick them on. I saw I missed some AA guns on the aft deck, need to fix that too. I haven't made the galley funnel yet, not a lot of work, but it needs to be done too, get the dinghies on, fit the boats, enough left to do before I even try to find my elastic thread ...

Carl

No sweat, Greg.  Carl has been doing that to me for years.  ;)  I'll start my search for data and aftermarket, too. Gonna be fun. :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, RGL said:

He can reach up the rafters to steal food from onlookers.

I was wondering where my stash was going! I appears he is sneaky too!

It sounds like the Seydlitz will be a nice build but unfortunately not one I would be interested in personally building. As usual my favorite would be MUCH harder to do. But I will follow with extreme interest.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, RGL said:

Yes Canute, and Cog gets to pick on you too. It’s becuse he’s so tall. He can reach up the rafters to steal food from onlookers. 

Not pinching my goodies  I have stealth  (im invisible)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The USS Houston

Ever since I first read about the early actions of WWII and the possibly stupid but heroic actions of ABADFLOT over thirty years ago I have wanted to build her. I have always been upset by the plethora of Bismarck’s and Graff Spee's and other ships that had met glorious ends but the Houston who was involved in almost every battle of the opening days of the war was never offered.

With the build of Piet's Java that desire has resurfaced and so I went out and bought the Trumpeter Indianapolis. (Like I needed another model on the shelf)I chose that over the Academy kit because it looked like it would be much easier to retrofit to early war looks. The differences between the Northampton and Portland classes is almost indistinguishable, especially at 1/350 scale.

Like I said not an out-of-the-box build but I think a doable and worthy model.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 minutes ago, lmagna said:

The USS Houston

Ever since I first read about the early actions of WWII and the possibly stupid but heroic actions of ABADFLOT over thirty years ago I have wanted to build her. I have always been upset by the plethora of Bismark's and Graff Spey's and other ships that had met glorious ends but the Houston who was involved in almost every battle of the opening days of the war was never offered.

With the build of Piet's Java that desire has resurfaced and so I went out and bought the Trumpeter Indianapolis. I chose that over the Academy kit because it looked like it would be much easier to retrofit to early war looks. The differences between the Northampton and Portland class is almost indistinguishable, especially at  1/350 scale. 

Like I said not an out-of-the-box build but I think a doable and worthy model.

This sounds interesting lou,   would love to follow this build.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

It will be a while OC, I need to get the Providence further along and I had BETTER start making some progress on the wife's Titanic or else!:o

Besides the PE for that build is going to set me back probably two times what the model cost and I still need to do little things like pay the bills and eat now and then.:P

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

As stated, paravanes stuck on a.o. the deck, racks in place (next to the funnel) need to do some touching up on the top of these latter ones, dinghies ready to tie down ... every time I think about the zillion things I still have to do before this thing ends ...

some more eye sore ...

5b2827cf093fe_IMG_3595copy.thumb.jpg.d3a937cc079f9318817b4a03db7773d2.jpg5b2827dce1eee_IMG_3596copy.thumb.jpg.656f9a5e041a0f8ed0d39f1da2656dec.jpg5b2827eb293e6_IMG_3598copy.thumb.jpg.6d5ff09b31b6757f6092965c60704f45.jpg

Carl

she's look'in fantastic Carl........looks like you'll be done before I know it  ;)   I don't have too much progress to show,  other that starting to paint the fore structure, painting the fore deck,  and getting acquainted with the PE better.   I don't know if I have anything for the paravanes......I'll have to check.   as for another of these projects.......if I can make some real progress on this one,  I may consider it.   I also thing the budget director might have a problem with it........since I bought that U.S.S. Arizona kit.   I should have an update by Weds.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

2 hours ago, cog said:

every time I think about the zillion things I still have to do before this thing ends

Sounds like commissioning day is approaching! Nothing left but details, details, and details. No more designing and revisions.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Denis,

I'm not there yet, so you can still double me in the fast lane ... ;) A heads up on PE (for those who aren't used to working with it). When you cut PE, use a firm undergroud ... I use a tile, some use perspex. If you use a cutting mat or wood, or any other softish material, you'll deform the PE whilst cutting it ... often with irreperable results. Better to change your knife regularly too. So far for the PE, be warned.

Paravanes ... you can do it with the ones from the kit ... but Greg was right when he said the winches were, actually are, far from real, especially when you see what's available as after market ... it does mean additional cost ... (admiral's consent for some ...) I wanted to get mine from BNA (Australia), but those are out of stock, so I got them from Hong Kong.

Additional PE ... it's mainly what you find important for your build and what not to replace, or what you can accomplish with limited resources for whichever reason ... can't wait for Wednesday!!!

Carl

10 hours ago, lmagna said:

Sounds like commissioning day is approaching! Nothing left but details, details, and details. No more designing and revisions.

Missed your post birthday boy, no more designing, just some major redisigning .

Carl

4 hours ago, cog said:

just some major redisigning

What redesigning would that be?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You're getting to know me too well Carl. Curiosity killed the cat.

Have you considered dry dock style supports using Plexiglass? 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 6/18/2018 at 5:37 AM, RGL said:

Yes Canute, and Cog gets to pick on you too. It’s becuse he’s so tall. He can reach up the rafters to steal food from onlookers. 

Not from my popcorn... I have a wooden ruler just right for slapping hands.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just now, mtaylor said:

Not from my popcorn... I have a wooden ruler just right for slapping hands.

we used a so called Spanish reed for that. the ruler was for spanking, a lot bigger too

Carl

2 minutes ago, cog said:

we used a so called Spanish reed for that. the ruler was for spanking, a lot bigger too

Different strokes for different folks.   I was raised with the ruler at hand...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)