HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

I'm pretty sure you would laugh, looking at me affects people that way.

On the other hand you would have to move out this way. I would be nothing but a puddle on the floor with eyeballs sticking out in your heat.

You could show me how to properly build ships and after I refinanced my house and could afford the ammo we could go shooting.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

39 minutes ago, cog said:

It's way past his delivery time!!!

I agree. He had better get something done or he will loose his right to post on this topic! PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES! He will probably say that he had work to go to or something!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I think he works weekends.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I think he works weekends.

Probably true but he needs picking on for SOMETHING!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, RGL said:

You’re channeling Cog 

Well he has to sleep sometime. I'm just working the night shift.:rolleyes::D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

hello all........I'm still among the living.   sorry the updates are sporadic,  but where my head's at {at this point in time} doesn't give me too much incentive to toil at the table.   it's just work and stupid stuff......but it's enough to spoil the mood.   I'm surprised that the admiral hasn't said something yet......usually she has to drag me away from the tables to do stuff around the house.   I expect that she'll make that observation pretty soon.  I wish I could get back the fervor I had a few years ago.........when I was finishing one after another.....scratch building hulls with one hand and putting the finishing touches on a kit build with the other.

>pause to take Gibbs out for his morning jaunt<

I did mess with the Vendetta a little bit last week.   when I put the decals on the model,  I couldn't recall if she had the depth markers.  I found that she did,  so I will need to put them on.   they are too long for the mid ship and stern,  but I noticed that Carl trimmed some off,  so the dilemma is solved with that small problem.  I added a couple of parts to the model......the last life raft where Carl suggested and the aft binnacle.   I also did some touch ups on her..........I see that I need to do a little more.   the aft mast was created sometime during this time frame.......needs to have more added to it,  and of course paint.

5b4f4e056c06c_1.jpg.9562842f078b52f3d942ed1a87a9929e.jpg

5b4f4e1367900_2.jpg.d6c7f90d228219d6c90b5c3c31c95fdb.jpg

I've added a ladder to the fore mast.   I will try and make more progress today.   I remember when models this size were child's play for me,  but my dealings with plastic have dwindled since I started to work with wood.   other fragments of time were being spent on getting info for the Revell Arizona.   why I'm spending all this time on such a lame kit,  is beyond me.  from what I've seen so far,  Trumpeter and Banner {never heard of this manufacturer} has Revell beat.  I found a tutorial for a Trumpeter 1:350 model by Charles Landrum that really put this model to shame!  initial parts count in the kit itself, starts it off.   anyway,  I'll save the rest of my rant when I begin the log......maybe I can be the FIRST,  to shed any good info on this particular kit! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis, 

Progress exists! well done, you noticed I did trim the depth markers. Measured them out and snip, snip ;) ...With regards to the "lame" Arizona kit ... maybe you are the one which makes it the perfect ship ... scratch building and all ... you've got the extra PE, plastic you can use from the sprues ... what's in a challenge when it's easy ... you always like to do it the hard way :D  ... a bit of ranting can't do you harm, just motivates the you know what out of you!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

you got it ;)    I found out something about the railing issue too.   dry fitting the decks in the hull,  I measured the railings,  and they are about 4 mm.   I measured the PE from the Hood,  and it's about 4.5 mm.  the distance between the stanchions though is less.......the PE being closer together.  it's not enough of a problem to make me say that I won't use it.  so,  I'm happy with that.   there's not a lot of info on the Revell kit........most folks are building the 1:200 and 1:350 trumpeter kits.

I haven't been able to find out much about the Banner kit........seems like a fairly popular kit.   when you see this kit,  you'll see what I mean.   more on it when I start the log.

thanks.........and to you all who hit the like button  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Good to see you persisting Denis - great progress.  Stay with it mate; just walk away from it for a while if needs be - getting the head right (not just for the hobby) is more important!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hang in there, Denis.  Try not to stress out but then I'm a fine one to offer that advice.   What Pat said goes for me too.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Pat and Mark........if I ever do walk away,  it won't be the hobby or home......I can tell ya that  ;)   "I may not be rich,  but I'm happy!"

I hear ya on the research Greg........I'm browsing here.....the model is in front of me........but what am I doing?????.........I'm looking at paint swatches :huh:.   I'm keeping in mind that fading and water reflection might be clouding people's perception of what the actual color may be.   I've centered around model master's french dark blue gray {2105} and french light blue gray {2109}........both are not carried by any store around here.  I even mixed up some matt aircraft blue and gunship gray......I got this:

5b51f32a3c8db_2.jpg.b1b544ad3d24a6991bbf0905c65a77be.jpg

the tops call for haze gray,  but I think light ghost gray will suffice.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Don’t rivet count on the paint type. Mr Color and a Tamiya are cheap, plentiful and work well in my airbrush I’ve decided that there is no perfect colour. The blokes from WEM concede they go off B&W photos and it still comes down to individual ships to mix most of their own paints, so near enough is probably safe enough given most sailors consider themselves professional painters anyways given how much they reckon the do. Chip and paint; repeat. 

Greg

Unless you can get a reference to the colour like the royal navy has - to a certain degree - or someone whom may be considered knowledgeable (I found there are no experts, although some pretend to be) you are fine, like RGL wrote in the previous post.

I read an interesting bit on painting on another site, which said that because of the scale we will change the colour's shade to make it more realistic, so don't bother to much about it

Carl

I agree with you Greg.......I find the controversy interesting though.   I have never heard of the Navy straying away from the official camo colors.   the swatch I came up with looks about right......I may gray it up a bit more.  I still think that the two factors I mentioned are the root of the controversy.    I want to get both of these models {Vendetta & Nordzee}  before I start on it.

what made this particularly interesting Carl,  was the updated information came from Pearl Harbor {Arizona} survivors.  but I'm still under the impression that given time,  they too may have been slightly off.

I've heard of that........color field vs optics  ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor
added text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

interesting article  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

those masts are going to be the crown on the Seydlitz creation Greg,  should you pull the trigger on them.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you haven't already!  seeing your latest post on Carl's log......compels me to post the few pictures I have on Vendetta's progress.   it isn't much.   I did do most of the touch ups that I've needed to do.......need to do a bit more.   I've added the squarish bit of PE to the four of the paravane's fins..........the other two flew off into never never land.  I've painted the top of them......but still need to flip them over and do the other side.  I only need the four anyway........the two at the stern,  and the other two near the funnel.   the aft mast is painted now........if I've neglected to mention it,  it has been partially assembled as well.

most of the progress went towards the fore structure,  adding railings to the deck wings,  on each side of the main structure section.  ladders were added too.....also the gun for this deck as well.

362720416_1.jpg.0bcd81451c6441421f435f30f21f1a13.jpg

85941586_2.jpg.118bedb32de87c796f8fe921880afb9e.jpg

976169844_3.jpg.c48e250359e73713654fa1245483fa21.jpg

the structure is only dry fitted for the moment..........I want to add the railings and ladders on the fore deck.  there are some touch ups to be done too.

that's where she is at the moment folks..........hopefully I can get back to her.....but it's Friday.   errands and a birthday party for one of my grand kids will eat up most of the afternoon.   the week end kicks off my work week.......very slim chance I'll get to the table with that 'noise' going on.  thanks for look'in in.........I'll post anything I get done today :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Carl :)   after I posted,  I began play'in with her.........there will be a bit more progress after all  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis, Nice progress. I know what you mean about life interfering. It will come back, in fact it looks like it may have?

Lou, when you started calling for pictures I thought Sjors had apperated here finally, then I saw the signature and realized you were just channeling him.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

thanks Sam :)   I'm hop'in it does.  we've had a lot of heat and humidity.......in addition to the rain you might have heard about.  the ride to work this morning was less than fun.....hardly could see where I was going :(   I did get a couple of bits done........one I've got to repair......really looks like s..........

392007609_4.jpg.3fb6081f385b96d01d00a0e3d63e7191.jpg

the aft mast is in place with it's tassel....don't know what it is.  I need to touch it up a bit.   the other bit was the vent at the fore funnel.  I managed to trim it.......broke a couple of times.  but then it wanted to be a bear to cement into place.

1451707236_5.jpg.44c0df1e32209f0f4b48b5e9bf9c55a5.jpg

I started to trim off the cement blobs,  and while I was doing it,  the funnel became loose.  so I removed it so I can perhaps do a better job of cleaning it up.   keen to note that I also started with some railings..so I'll be working around the bow when I get back to her.  I haven't been totally idle.  I've been doing more research on the Arizona.......basically what I can add......what I can chop........alterations.   along with all this,  I continue to be nagged by a 'what if' I've been thinking about.  not so sure I want to let out that much insanity ;) 

two more days left for the work week...I hope it goes by fast.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, src said:

I thought Sjors had apperated here finally, then I saw the signature and realized you were just channeling him.

Sam

You mean I get to blame Sjors for my bad behavior? I need to do channeling more often!

Good to see a little progress on this build Denis. Looking good. 

You know you won't be able to resist letting us in on the insanity you are contemplating. Might as well let us in on the secret now.:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Denis,

Good to see you can keep her on the road (your car).  Some progress too ...

Those "tassles", as you call them, are lights, indeed your imagination comes in handy ... they are supposed to be on he rear side, as the mast should lean backwards, as does yours. The fact the brass looks like tassles is merely the result of it's flatness. Never seen flat lights from that time period ... A pitty they didn't gave us something more realistic to play with ...

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

You mean I get to blame Sjors for my bad behavior? I need to do channeling more often!

Lou, you should remember:"What goes around, comes around" ...

Carl

sorry for the late reply........I actually feel alive tonight......even after finishing the work week.   have I told you all how much I hate that place ?!?!?!?!  the boss was going around with a clipboard today.  he wanted to know what training we'd like to see in the future.......I told him none..cuz it's useless.  to watch a training video,  and then not have any further 'hands on' training to back it up,  is a sheer waste of time.  IMO.  he asked me where I'd like to see myself in five years............I just smiled and said.......retired!  :D     what a geek........truly drank the kool-aide ;) 

hey there Lou.......have you been stirring the pot again?  man.......I have too many projects kick'in around.  to introduce another one would be insane enough.......surly would be an eye opener for all the clipper fans ;)    actually I should bring out the fishing vessel {the misfit from the Holiday Harbor fleet}........I have a neat concept going on her.  I should finish her  ;) 

thanks Carl.  I didn't know what they were.......WHAT!?!?!?!  I got'em backwards! :o   I'll try to change them if I can.....I hope to get some meaningful time in on her this week.  if I don't though {fix it},  it will just be my little idio...........

another nasty storm this after noon.......hope this pattern breaks soon  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: