HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

Heineken ... we call it cat p1ss. If you really want to drink it, cool it at 6ºC/43ºF. Get on it again Denis!

I like luke warm beer ... the cold takes the taste away. If it's hot I drink either lemon juice with little water, or plain water - neither chilled either. My preference still goes with the Scots and Irish teas if we are talking more adult beverages ;)

I found 1/72 drawings for a V&W type destroyer in my stash of prints ... maybe that's a new challenge (after the Ferrari I work on and an Alpha I want to start on)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

As I remember, the Germans like their beer cool, not cold. Some brews are meant to be drunk warmish, like the British and I guess Dutch. Some Belgians, like Stella, can be cooler. Most American stuff has to be cold or it's horse whizz. Ever had warm AnheuserBusch Budweiser? Yuck.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The maker of this kit is now deceased so it will eventually run out of stock thus I wanted to do the final version as Vendetta was the last one that survived the war (for the RAN anyway). 

there was going to be a Langley AV 3 released later this year which would make a good group build 

Greg

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Most American stuff has to be cold or it's horse whizz. Ever had AnheuserBusch Budweiser? Yuck.

Gotta agree here, most American beers are horse whizz.... especially the IPA's... But then when I do drink beer (rarely) it's either Henry's PR cold or Millers HL in any temp state as long as it's fresh....

For a good relaxing drink after a hard day, Mike's HL... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 hours ago, RGL said:

there was going to be a Langley AV 3 released later this year which would make a good group build 

It's already out there....

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-05632-uss-langley-av-3--1319580

Hobby Link and Hobby search, out if Japan, the US dealers are still doing preorders..... The kit alone is 100.00 US, shipping from Japan? probably 140.00ish or so....

Haven't heard a lot of splash on it on the boards, probably not too many people have it in hand yet...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

So would you build her loaded with seaplanes, or as she was sunk, loaded with crated P-40s on the lower deck/hold and ready to fly P-40s on the "flight deck"? 

I think she was carrying 32 P-40s but I don't know how many were actually assembled on the deck and the rest were still in crates. I'm not certain the half deck could hold 32 P-40s. The Sea Witch was also carrying 27 more crated P-40s that made it to Java but I don't think many if any made it to flying condition before the loss of Java. It would have been far better if the planes and pilots had been sent to Colombo, their original intended destination.

p

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

he knows he wants to  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

20 hours ago, RGL said:

The maker of this kit is now deceased so it will eventually run out of stock

Huhhh????? Doesn't the manufacturer decide weather it will be discontinued or not?

Carl

1 hour ago, cog said:

Huhhh????? Doesn't the manufacturer decide weather it will be discontinued or not?

Showcase Models Aus, has been offline since 2017..... Their website no longer responds to links saying it doesn't exist which means the domain doesn't even exist anymore.....

So no, the model kit is no longer manufactured.... Although there are some available on Evil bay....

Get them while you can if you want one.......

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

1 minute ago, RGL said:

The bloke who designed the ships (models) and owned the company died, so when they’re gone they’re gone unless someone bought the dies 

Sad to say this is the case, lotsa great kits have been lost over the years in just this way..... Life moves on.....

Quote:

If you're lucky the dies/files go to a quality model maker. The big thing with a lot of these molds is fair wear and tear making the parts with more flash still attached to the parts. The dies need refurbishment or eventually replacement. Sometimes a mom and pop outfit acquires the dies and they do a great job until the time comes for replacement. I've seen it with some model railroading gear.

3D printing files relies on the quality of the printer, once the design files are debugged. And these printers are only getting better/cheaper.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I finally have her back on the table.   assessing where I left off and my next move.......

1951691905_1.jpg.17f1132c996cd6a89f9237bb6e945e2b.jpg

....gotta do something about this silly light :angry:........gett'in on my nerves.   first I think I'll add the vents......there are ten of them,  and that will open the door to adding the aft railings.  I still need to add the starboard life boat....among a few other things.  I did note that one of the blades on one of the props was ready to break off.....bent it back and cemented it......I'll get them on soon as well.

947741561_2.jpg.cee49abfdd95ec88a3ac33056b5e41cb.jpg

one thing I did learn....was to paint the railings before you put them on...

46995737_3.jpg.d68f79108c9325bd3681c8f8986c0c91.jpg

I think this is one of the reasons I stopped.......pondering how to do them without making a huge mess.  don't even know how I'm going to paint back here.......

439563311_4.jpg.28a3cd0fce5325c7dafda54f1b05e6ad.jpg

too close for comfort.   just a small refresher :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

That's looking great Popeye, nice job!

Not sure what to tell you on the railings.  For my 1/700, I was a bit paralyzed by what to do, but ultimately decided to prime and paint them off model (while attached to the fret).  I ended up spraying the frets with Mr. Metal Primer from the can, then a thinned coat of Vallejo black primer, followed by thinned Vallejo Model Air gray paint.  Worked pretty well.  

My guess is at this stage that you will end up having to hand paint the railings.  Mr. Hobby makes their metal primer in one of those little glass jars with the brush on the handle - like the Tamiya cement containers.  Maybe that can work, or some other brush on primer, followed by a thinned paint layer?

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

hi Mike......thanks :)   glad that I was able to come to that realization before the other railings were added.   gonna be a sticky wicket,  that's for sure.  one hope,  is as I paint them,  the paint will leech over to the other side and solve the problem for me.......just my luck though,  I go and paint.......and it doesn't happen :D   I can just imagine what you have to do to a model of that scale :blink:   the Vendetta is the smallest war ship I've ever done.  it's presented a whole new bunch of problems,  for a guy with big fingers.   I just got done trimming all the vents.......they were held on the sprue by a thick injection tab,  that still had distinct reminisces of it after I cut them off.  to trim them was a feat.....can't even tell ya how many times I dropped them.   to deter lost parts,  I put one of those bath mats under my desk........it's got a thick pile which limits bouncing.   seems to be doing the job ;) ....I haven't lost any yet.  I'm sure you're all aware of how small these parts are,  so I'll refrain from doing the Penny comparison.  I must not have done any touch ups either........I can see a few.

I brought the light issue up to the admiral.......another crane light would be nice.  she had other ideas......couldn't shoot her down.....she was trying to help.       with everything laid out on the desk,  she starts to clean.  what's a little dust?  I managed to take over the task before anything happened.  she offered me her desk light.......couldn't say no without trying it out.   the light is a bit better........

1256043092_5.jpg.2b652ca1e652fb58a9517a2d03b8fe3f.jpg

a bit yellow of hue.........not tall enough though.......I'd likely knock it in a heartbeat.   the motif is a bit off too.......better if I had a coffee mug here

1690562803_6.jpg.923664a98fdb59eea7c3b2dde038432d.jpg

they'd likely try to talk me into another model............although I do have one in the back of my mind  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have the Hood PE too.........might have some railings in there  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

a bit yellow of hue.

Think of it as sailing into the sunset Denis.:D

Possibly changing the bulb to a white light LED could make it less yellow.

Nice to see you back on this build. Looks nice. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks Lou :)   I can only go with a 40W bulb.......I'll see what I have in the drawer.   I got some painting done.......the life rings and the props once the blade issue was repaired........along with a few touch ups.  gotta lay off macro........makes the model look like a giant paint blob.  the starboard davits were set in place,  and the boat will rest on a pair of PE chocks......touched up the port side when I did this side.

987294829_1.jpg.54422b5cc8a60d540a87ebcb7740ea6f.jpg

the kit came with five life boats.......was thinking of adding one or two extra,  but pictures I have don't show them,  so I won't.   I gave it the 'ole college try and managed to pull off painting the bow railings.   a little creative brushwork along the back of the foredeck rails came out pretty good :) 

2072408275_2.jpg.7a9b1b3ccc17c3e56976888a0fce3de4.jpg

I was going on to the next task,  which would have been the anchors.........I noticed that one of the chains didn't lead to the hawse hole,  so I fixed that.  I say was,  because it was that time,  when the admiral harped about changing the rug in the living room.  this of course turned into a chain of honey do's starting with reconnecting a spring under the recliner,  that helps support the tushie..........what a PITA!!!!!   finally getting around to the old carpet,  I rolled it up {Gibbs had a ball with this going on} and proceeded to carry it out the door........this set off a chain reaction crash of four of my smaller ship models....sent them crashing to the floor!  they are around the scale size of the Vendetta........the Thermopylae and the Connie are models I built some time ago....they received the most damage........the only wood ship in the melee is the Gundalow.......I'm certain I can repair her.  a 1600 Spanish Galleon received only minor damage.  the Devil Dog,  the B25 I just finished almost hit the floor as well.......and a P51 Mustang got a gear flap broken off.   this basically wiped out the top two rows of models!  they are all waiting on table black at the moment awaiting evaluation.  I fear that two of them might not fair too well.........but they had a great life...........I think I built them in the 90's.   I look on the bright side.........I can put off putting up a new shelf a little longer ;) 

oh...........I also painted the aft railings too.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I painted some of the railings on my V&W destroyer builds with a brush. If you can steady your hand it is quite doable. No need for ripping things off.

Glad you got this one back on the table, mate. You are so near completion! nSorry to hear about the crashes

Edited by cog

Carl

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I can only go with a 40W bulb

If you go with the LED bulbs they draw so much less energy and produce no heat to speak of so you can go up considerably in "wattage" and not overload the lamp. I have one lamp in the house where I put a 150W equivalent bulb in three years ago and it is still working fine running pretty much all day every day.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/150-Watt-Equivalent-A21-High-Output-ENERGY-STAR-and-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-in-Soft-White-3000K-2-Pack-EA21-22W1000eh/313349804?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-312889583-_-313349804-_-N&

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

better yet.......I'll just get another light........with what's in this light,  it's blinding me already..  this one is too short....it's in my face :(   then again,  if I get another crane lamp like I do on the other tables,  I'll put it on table black and move the operation over there  ;) 

the Gundalow sustained a bit more damage than I first saw.....broke free fife rails and broke the tiller off the rudder.  she's back on the shelf,  along with the Spanish Galleon,  which had a few things wrong with it too.  as far as the other two.......well,  they don't look too good.....broken yards and bow spirits,  life boat davits broken.....just some of the damage.   time to blow taps,  I think :unsure:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

40 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

better yet.......I'll just get another light........with what's in this light,  it's blinding me already..  this one is too short....it's in my face :(   then again,  if I get another crane lamp like I do on the other tables,  I'll put it on table black and move the operation over there  ;) 

the Gundalow sustained a bit more damage than I first saw.....broke free fife rails and broke the tiller off the rudder.  she's back on the shelf,  along with the Spanish Galleon,  which had a few things wrong with it too.  as far as the other two.......well,  they don't look too good.....broken yards and bow spirits,  life boat davits broken.....just some of the damage.   time to blow taps,  I think :unsure:

Been in the wars by the sound of it mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

that's the one I have........you must have had an earlier release?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, RGL said:

It’ll look very different when it’s finished 

Most likely, any photographs of the version you will build? I've been waiting for months and still haven't got it,

Carl