HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - Showcase Models -1/350 - Plastic

15 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I often used to fall asleep on the bus home from work

I have had that happen a couple of times after having to do late paperwork at the end of shift that took several hours to complete before I could leave for home. One time it was when I had done 14 hours straight and the other a very full and adrenalin pumping long 16 hour shift! In my case though I was driving! :blink:😵 I made it into my house though and on the second time it was my Friday and I slept like I was dead for the next sixteen hours and still felt tired!

thanks everyone :)   the nod thing doesn't just apply to the computer,  it happens when I spend too much time doing the same thing.  I've done it at work too.......runn'in around all day working.......they call a meeting,  and they expect you to sit through it.   I've been moving all day....now they want me to sit....I call it stagnant ;)  this is why I don't sit at the 'drawing board' when I model.......I have to be in motion.   I hardly ever draw anything out....the only thing I've ever drawn out,  was the dance floor for the M&M boat.  I dunno.........maybe I should look into my ancestry,  to see if I'm related to Rip Van Winkle or something :D   second cousin to the Sandman...........Prince Valium {Spaceballs antidote}  :wacko:

but no......really,  glad I got up the gusto to finally finish her :)    toys that would try to kill you......the Puppetmaster comes to mind :D 

43 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

part of the deck is missing

That is because the Navy could never decide what they wanted the Langley to be. She started life as the Jupiter, a Collier commissioned in 1913. At the time she was considered a fairly advanced ship design.

In 1920 she was converted to the first US aircraft carrier and renamed Langley CV-1. This was when the full deck was added.

With the commissioning of the Lexington and Saratoga in 1927 the Langley quickly became outdated but continued in a training role until 1936. At that point she was converted again, this time to a seaplane tender, AV-3, mostly by removing half of the flight deck as you have noted. She remained in this configuration until late February 1942 when an ill considered and poorly executed attempt at delivering P-40 fighters and pilots to Tjilatjap, Java resulted in the Langley being caught at sea in the daylight and lost to Japanese bombing. Her planes and pilots never made it to the island, and would have probably been too few to late if they had. The mission was pretty much a waste right from the outset like all to many ABDA actions were.

Edited by lmagna

The HMS Queen Elizabeth with the newly arrived American F-35's would make an interesting project.  That's an interesting joint multinational deployment about to take place.  It could even be an international modeling project.  One of you could do the air wing, one could do the ship, and it could then reside in my living room when finished.  Everybody wins!

Alan

Edited by knightyo
33 minutes ago, knightyo said:

The HMS Queen Elizabeth with the newly arrived American F-35's would make an interesting project.  That's an interesting joint multinational deployment about to take place.  It could even be an international modeling project.  One of you could do the air wing, one could do the ship, and it could then reside in my living room when finished.  Everybody wins!

Alan

You would have to supply the food and beverages Alan😁

OC.

that's the 2021 kit Greg........still looks like a nightmare to build........but surely to be interesting!   I got the Langley built in 1922 Lou......it was touted to be the first U.S. aircraft carrier.   it was sunk during  jap attack.........which is interesting   the Lexington was touted as the first aircraft carrier to be sunk during war,  but she was lost in may of 1942,  and the Langley was lost in February of the same year.  one thing the Lexington loss did teach us,  she taught us how to survive enemy attack.  I found this while I was looking for info on the IJN Shokaku....future build.

Why, in the Pacific war, were Japanese aircraft carriers sunk so easily compared to Americans? - Quora

Denis and anybody else, read "Shattered Sword" by Paschall and Tully. A very good study of Midway from the Japanese side. American authors, but they used a lot of more up to date Japanese writings to flesh out old studies done immediately post WW II.

They bring out issues like Denis mentions, plus adding in the differences in training and operational doctrine. Very good read, mates.

9 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

you can pick up the 2019 production at Mega Hobby......$118.00.   it come with PE :ph34r:  sadly though,  I can't join in :(     the admiral told me that it's not because of the price.........it about the toys I already have in the attic.   bummer!

You have toys in the attic ............Action Man, GI  Joe,  Dinky/Corgi  tanks   -  thats it  I'm coming over to pley😃

OC.