HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

was there a particular problem with the guns,  to make you replace them?

No I liked these better, when I look at the parts to make one, I knew before hand I can't get them as smooth as these. Furthermore, for me postage was good ... better than from the States. They are called 3D frosted print, not clear plastic. I ordered the torpedo tubes from them as well. I have a broken tube in the kit, how on earth that happened I wouldn't know. Ordered somewhere else 1/700 bollards, as all or most 1/350 available are to big, and those in the kit are impossible.

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

.the admiral asked me what I wanted for Father's day

Didn't know you are that old ;) very devious mate :)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I went to the Eduard's site and looked up the PE set for the 1:350  HMS Hood.

Why Eduard/Hood?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Denis, you do not need the hood set, to much PE for what you need

If you want to add to the build, get some triple railing, 0.3mm 0.5mm and 1mm brass rod/tube, you could instead use Evergreen for those measures. You would want bollards, as those in the kit are a pain to cut, clean up, and actually use. Brass water tight doors, Bitish version, since I got loads of IJN I used those. Northstar has bridge furnishings, at 1/350 in resin. I ordered those too. The guns I got from shapeways. The mast I made from 0.5mm brassrod and 1mm brass tube. If you limit yourself to that, you'll be saving quite some money ... I have some PE from Eduard for Musashi, but am not thrilled about it, so beware

RGL, you'll have to wait. Can't get the right contrast with the evening lighting. because of their colour. I'll have to try it with daylight, and hope that'll work

Royal wedding ... no, nothing up North here ... probably not invited

Edited by cog

Carl

score!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Convincing an Admiral is never easy ... but yours is very understanding - at least, that's the impression I get from her. So did you order the Hood set or went for the simple selection, and being able to get yerself some other stuff on the side (like a PE tool ;) )

Carl

there were enough people camped around the place.   from what I saw of it.......it didn't look very 'royal'  ;)   not too glitzy 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

the admiral is going to order that PE for me...at least,  I think she is.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The bridge, forward gun platform and the rear platform. The reference photos and line drawings show little handrails around the platforms which I added. The bridge is a bit clunky and I had to do a bit of clipping so it sits flush on the deck meaning I’m going to have to put a few styrene stops to hide some sins. I’m not in love with the kits PE. 

1148A5C4-77A2-4305-B214-2A3924082109.jpeg

0B8024C4-D96C-4904-9C4D-9257A0A884DB.jpeg

Greg

Nice shots RGL

Not rough weather ... mebby rough sprayin' ... today's harvest

5b019ef868604_IMG_3434copy.thumb.jpg.f4b4a27b33ddc43bff0c9f3d89659b84.jpg5b019eff49e6a_IMG_3433copy.thumb.jpg.bd0a4906e2a2bbe7aae79a93cfbe86b4.jpg

colour: Vallejo Fire Red (71.084)

Found a picture of the funnels, which will be "enhanced" next. I expect a lot of time for a few very tiny items ... PE can send you round the bend ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

2 hours ago, cog said:

PE can send you round the bend ;)

VERY short trip for me!:huh:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou,

A fellow bent person ...

You should try Yamato/Musashi with the old tool from Tamiya. I do not even have to be sent around the bend ;) look for my build log of Musashi ... (thought the pun was quite nice :D )

Carl

Thanks Jack,black and grey to go. Just give me hands a rest from bending ;) Waiting for a book on V & W clas destroyers, with which I hope to improve on the kit ...

Edited by cog

Carl

Carl

I have been following all of the plastic builds involving the use of PE, and to be honest you guys are scaring the living daylights out of me.

The reason is that a while ago i promised the Admiral that I would/could build her a kind of nightlight version of HER favorite ship, the Titanic. In the process of this foolish talk I explained that it would be lit and encased in a shadow box style case that would also have stars in the sky. I really went on and on never thinking that I should have shut my stupid mouth! At any rate I have now obtained the 1/350th Titanic, almost doubled the cost in PE that in all honesty will probably be lost on her as she will never look at the details of he model. Add the lighting I have picked up to complete the foolish promise made over morning coffee and I have really done myself in.

I didn't think too much about the PE as the pictures you guys post look so big and nice. Then I got a look at the real life stuff, :huh::default_wallbash::(!!!!!    

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

15 minutes ago, lmagna said:

you guys are scaring the living daylights out of me

whimp ;)

You mean: Then you took out your visor, and had a look at the real stuff h1.gif.1467394f91e352a891705e97f1166330.gif

:D :D :D laugh2.gif.951cfd81f74e55728e22c9b2fbd95184.gif

I've learned to keepy mouth shut ... luckily not the hard way!!! It seems a lot harder than it really is. Patience, some apropriate tooling, and a visor would come in handy after a certain age (like mine). CA thin and thick (gel like). Why not join us, and have some practice with a relatively small ship ... we could do with a few more builders ... you can follow our lead, which makes it easier, and you do not need to do exactly what we do. RGL does it his way, I do it mine ...

Edited by cog

Carl

6 minutes ago, cog said:

Why not join us, and have some practice with a relatively small ship

I think you covered it in your first word, "Whimp"

Visor? What visor? Well to be honest one of the other guys on the forum sent me a visor that he wasn't going to use and I got it in the mail on Thursday. Itook a look at it and I suspect you may be right. It does make the stuff look like your pictures. Now I will probably develop a hunched back from having to work so close to the end of the visor where the focal distance seems to be.

Have to beg off on joining this build I'm afraid. I am very much a THIS SHIP draws me kind of modeler and right now I am drawn to the Providence. Then I have my promise to keep on the Titanic, (The Admiral has a very long memory when it comes to promises made to her, not so much for promises made to me). For a personal build of this type I always thought the old Revell 1/232 scale Olympia or the Glencoe Oregon would make nice PE models and could be done in a number of color choices depending on the time chosen. Squardron had a nice re-release of the Olympia and still lists it in their catalog, but it is forever on (In stock soon) status. The Oregon is pretty much strictly an eBay item but Gold Metal Models supplies PE for both, and brass gun barrels are available on eBay for the Oregon. Another problem though is that by the time you gather everything needed, the total cost gets pretty high!

I will just have to continue hanging out in the belfry and try to learn what I can until my turn comes and I need to open THE BOX!

Thanks for the invite though.   

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

I will just have to continue hanging out in the belfry and try to learn what I can

Darn, and I so hoped to have that belfry cleared, so I could sit relaxed, and dish up my latest concoctions

Carl