HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

12 minutes ago, cog said:

dish up my latest concoctions

Don't want to make you feel pressured but what's for lunch?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

If you are lucky you can smell what's for lunch in the rafters :P

Actually, I would go for brekkie first ;) However, since you asked for luncheon details, pizza with mushrooms and goat cheese, and pizza with salmon, or I dish up the salmon in either pancakes with cream cheese, and dill, or a souflé. Haven't made up my mind yet ... oh darn, mustn't forget to make apricot ice cream!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

You sure know how to make a guy hungry! Breakfast lunch or dinner, doesn't matter if you put on a feed like that!!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well almost dinner here so honey mustard chicken it is. 

I’ve  replaced all the bollards with 1/700 large vessel ones (they fit perfectly) and two larger ones on the front that were left over from the Spruance. 

Sliwly building up the paint cue. 

Tomorrow the masts in brass. 

0E64C220-97CA-413F-9B3C-87D721E9CA72.jpeg

15B480CA-BF09-4161-B20C-2BFD42F8A3E5.jpeg

321F036A-21EF-4038-A6D1-D7E20E6DE1BF.jpeg

Greg

Great work as always Greg

I can't tell if that last picture is a building yard, a scrap yard, or a diorama of a ship wreck on the bottom of the ocean!

Honey Mustard Chicken sounds good, almost midnight here though!:(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Honey Mustard chicken ... PM me the recipe, I'll try it on a small chicken

Kind a silently motoring on (electric propulsion?) Quite the parts. I broke the bottom part of the rear pipe on the rear funnel, which will need replacing, and I need to replace the ladder on it as it is far to big. Have some more tidbits to add. to the funnels, before I'm done with them.

I see you have a few spare cranes, an' davits, a hidden "pinch torpedo" in the center, which sets of the size of it all nicely. When I look at the parts, they're not so small, when I look at the hull I sometimes wonder how to get it all on without making a hughe stack.

Today no harvest, study time ...

Looking very spiffy Greg (something tells me, you must have done it before).

Carl

4 minutes ago, RGL said:

I accidentally cut too much off when I clipped it off the sprue

Very hard not to with this kit. Did they have a very tight budget. The bollards ar impossible to remove, at least as 1 complete part. The masts and other thin parts really need care taking them of so you won't break them. Despite these little irregularities, it still is a nice kit, could do with some work for the price it is sold at.

Carl

That last shot really emphasizes how slender those old destroyers were! No wonder they rolled like crazy... 

Is the white stuff at the bottom of the masts some sort of ‘stcky goop’ to temporarily position the mast to check fit/look?

Also, it’s interesting to see that even in early Twentieth century steel shipbuilding, the mast still has construction details reminiscent of wooden sailing ships- like the transition from the mast to the topmast.

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hi Greg,

An awesome international build!!

Just one question, are you leaving COG and Popeye behind in the rapidity of your build? :)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

I spent time on the big blue when I was a kid...with my Dad and his boat. The photos RGL shared reminded me of why I never wanted to join the Navy. You're just a little bitty cork out there bobbing up and down, to and fro on the ocean. And a ship the size of a destroyer has got to be a miserable experience for an extended time out there in rough seas. My hat's off to those who endure/d it.

6 minutes ago, CDW said:

I spent time on the big blue when I was a kid...with my Dad and his boat. The photos RGL shared reminded me of why I never wanted to join the Navy. You're just a little bitty cork out there bobbing up and down, to and fro on the ocean. And a ship the size of a destroyer has got to be a miserable experience for an extended time out there in rough seas. My hat's off to those who endure/d it.

Misising your building mate,   nothing on the horizon?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

20 minutes ago, hof00 said:

Hi Greg,

An awesome international build!!

Just one question, are you leaving COG and Popeye behind in the rapidity of your build? :)

Cheers....HOF.

Greg does work at one pace - super fast  get the job done  type thing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

I'm a modeler who shares interest in a wide variety of types. Right now, I am working on car models. I'll get back to the ships in a while when the urge strikes.

I can relate to that  - my main interest outside of my boat building is plane photography.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I just had visions of Tatoo from fantasy island, “The plane, The plane!”. 

Whilst no no where near the quality of Cog’s guns, the kits guns are a little bit complex, and as the sprue joined onto the barrel, so I swapped them out. The barrels were from spares and were blackened. 

The 12pdr is very plain and there are two twin Vickers machine guns which are about 2mm

FB573939-90AD-4E79-B343-F61C89581498.jpeg

52CB020E-10C7-44FF-9022-0CCAA26ADEE1.jpeg

0B3DF747-BC0E-4296-A63E-4BA9E7B1D55F.jpeg

6571E10F-0A38-465C-A790-B5F636063D33.jpeg

Greg

The fore mast is a tapered brass rod from a Master-Model set, the yardarms from another, and the other bits from Alliance model works mast set. The rear mast is just rod and a yardarm. Given they are going to be rigged they’re need to be quite strong as the plastic would just bend and the kit stuff would never survive the sanding required from the injection ports anyways. 

Greg

I'm still waiting.........hoping I would see it when I got home :(    just as well though.......I have no idea if the PE kit is ordered either.  I could badger the admiral,  but that would just get 'er dander up  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You're getting excited Denis!! Proper state of mind :D ... I know you like it ... I know you wannit ... Do not badger the Admiral, it is indeed one of the silliest things to do ... instead of life getting in the way, you've got a whole new experience getting in the way ;) Give my love to her for keeping you at least on something like a leash ... else we would be drowned by you build logs (the ones in progress :) )

Honestly, can't wait to see you get started on it. Very curious as to your "take" on it

Not much done today, had a course at work, made the fore mast tonight, and repaired my rear chimney "piping". Yesterday eve I re-masked the hull. Will spray the red again with a slightly different red

Edited by cog

Carl

I know.......I'm just gett'in all 'peckish' :blush:   the admiral is an enabler......she's the one that got me the new table w/ built in electric outlets.   I was always having to run extension cords if I wanted to do something with the Dremel or soldering gun.   all I need to do now,  is figure out a better lighting system....without buggering the table.   I plan to do this at my desk anyway......seems like a small enough model.   she still seems a bit chirped that it'a a plastic model though......I still would like to do something along the lines of the Arizona,  or the Missouri......or even a carrier.   I'm as curious as you are ;) 

hopefully I'll see it today  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch