HMS Halifax 1768 by alde - Lumberyard Kit - 1/48 scale - Based on Harold Hahn Drawings and Book

Family issues have kept me out of the shop but I may be able to sneak in a couple of hours tomorrow morning. Since I already have the strake laid out I'm going to un-clamp them half at a time and glue and clamp one end then the other. That way I never loose it's position. At least that's my plan. We'll see how it works in practice. 

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...

I've started making some progress on the planking. It's not perfect but not too bad either. I'm sure learning as I go though.

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

Al

Current Builds:

I nearing the end of the external planking and it’s ok except for one error. I started the planking too far away from the keel so it’s all about 1/4” or so too high. I don’t think it will cause any major problems but the stern carving won’t be able to go on until it’s off the building jig. I’ll do the obligatory aircraft carrier picture soon. That’s seems to be a requirement of a Hahn style build.

74F4330B-24F4-4660-998C-58BABC374658.jpeg

57C3C092-1BBF-47D1-B413-E7433CFFD2C2.jpeg

Al

Current Builds:

Nice progress and looking very nice Al

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looking good Al. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Thanks Lou. The next one should go easier for sure. Some of the mistakes will be easy to avoid next time. The old saying measure twice cut once is so true.

Al

Current Builds:

35 minutes ago, rafine said:

She's looking great Al. Almost ready to cut her loose from the jig.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It's gonna be a little stressful but I'm looking forward to cutting it loose

Al

Current Builds:

2 hours ago, alde said:

measure twice cut once is so true

Alde,

It's going to be a thing of beauty! Sadly I still have to cut twice because I only measured once. Have the pile of miscues to prove it. 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

2 hours ago, alde said:

Some of the mistakes will be easy to avoid next time.

You are probably better than me. I am perfectly able to make the same mistake over and over again.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 minutes ago, lmagna said:

You are probably better than me. I am perfectly able to make the same mistake over and over again.

Notice I said some of the mistakes.

Al

Current Builds:

Looks good from here, Al.  It was (to me anyway) a very tense time cutting the hull loose, keeping it supported so not to break the frames and generally not making a mess of things.  One bit of advice given to me was "cut long" and adjust the frame heights after it's free as it's hard to cut accurately in the position it's in

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 7/18/2018 at 4:44 PM, rafine said:

She's looking great Al. Almost ready to cut her loose from the jig.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It's gonna be a little stressful but I'm looking forward to cutting it loose

Al

Current Builds:

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Looks good from here, Al.  It was (to me anyway) a very tense time cutting the hull loose, keeping it supported so not to break the frames and generally not making a mess of things.  One bit of advice given to me was "cut long" and adjust the frame heights after it's free as it's hard to cut accurately in the position it's in

I appreciate that Mark. I think the camera hides some of the flaws. I think I should be able to compensate for starting the planking too far from the keel with no problems. The only thing that may cause trouble is where the bowsprite exists the hull. Everything else should be fine.

I think I'll build some of the internal structure before I cut it loose. I really don't want it to fall apart though it seems pretty strong.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

Al, I think it would be better and certainly easier to work on the interior after the hull is free of the jig. The hull should be quite strong with all of the planking on. I didn't even fair the interior until after I cut it loose. There was no problem.

Bob

48 minutes ago, rafine said:

Al, I think it would be better and certainly easier to work on the interior after the hull is free of the jig. The hull should be quite strong with all of the planking on. I didn't even fair the interior until after I cut it loose. There was no problem.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'll plank up the stern and cut her loose.

Al

Current Builds:

6 hours ago, Sjors said:

Your a brave man Al when you are try something like this....

But it looks great !

Sjors

Thank you Sjors. I wish my abilities were more up to it. Maybe after a few more years of practice the quality will improve a bit.

Al

Current Builds:

Alde,

You have to have the faith my brother, with something that looks that good Karma is on your side. Close one eye, turn your head slightly to the side squint threw the other eye and slowly cut away!

Not that I am all knowledgeable but it looks like you have enough planking in place to hold all together.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Well you guys convinced me to cut it off the jig before I start on the interior. I need to plank up the stern first though. I’m gonna shoot for next Friday. Can I use a chainsaw?

Al

Current Builds:

If a Dremel counts as a chainsaw, then “yes” :D

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

What size chainsaw?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

What size chainsaw?

I have an electric with about an 18" blade. Do you think that might be a bit of overkill? 

Al

Current Builds:

2 hours ago, alde said:

Do you think that might be a bit of overkill?

Might need a 24". Looks like a lot of lumber to get through to me!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Sorry Al, the best I can do on short notice is a little dog that chews on anything!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I told you guys about my problem with starting the planking too far from the keel or maybe using planks that are too wide. In any case my biggest problem is the stern. The picture shows where the casting should go but the as you can see the planking is much too high.

The way I see it there are two things I can do. First is redo the planking by ripping it all off and starting over. The second is to build my own stern decorations and windows with elongated windows or more empty space between the windows and carvings. Do you guys see any other choices or have any suggestions?

image.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

Al,

I guess I don't understand the issue.  Here's a pic of the stern of the Halifax

Under the windows are some decorative molding strips and counter planking.  Also, look at where the stern post enters under the windows on the counter.  It looks fairly close to what you have.  The wales seem to end in about the same place as well.  What am I missing?

If you are talking about the planking above the decorative stern, it looks like the model has an open rail aft on the quarterdeck and you planked the rail.  Is that it?

slide-halifax1[1].jpg

The more I look at your planking, the more I think you have your sheer rail in the wrong spot along with your planks too wide.  Look at where the planks and rails terminate at the transom compared to yours.  The Wales look OK and the decorative resin stern piece could possibly move up towards the taffrail slightly but the other planking and rails seem to be out of place. 

I'd get some more opinions first, but if that is the case you will need to remove the planking above the wales and reset the sheer and re-plank with correct width planking.

slide-halifax2.jpg

Edited by Dowmer

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

17 minutes ago, Dowmer said:

Al,

I guess I don't understand the issue.  Here's a pic of the stern of the Halifax

Under the windows are some decorative molding strips and counter planking.  Also, look at where the stern post enters under the windows on the counter.  It looks fairly close to what you have.  The wales seem to end in about the same place as well.  What am I missing?

If you are talking about the planking above the decorative stern, it looks like the model has an open rail aft on the quarterdeck and you planked the rail.  Is that it?

slide-halifax1[1].jpg

The more I look at your planking, the more I think you have your sheer rail in the wrong spot along with your planks too wide.  Look at where the planks and rails terminate at the transom compared to yours.  The Wales look OK and the decorative resin stern piece could possibly move up towards the taffrail slightly but the other planking and rails seem to be out of place. 

I'd get some more opinions first, but if that is the case you will need to remove the planking above the wales and reset the sheer and re-plank with correct width planking.

slide-halifax2.jpg

You are seeing what I'm seeing. The more I look at it and think about it I will have to take everything off down to the wales as you suggest. I am taking this model as a learning tool anyway so may as well make corrections and do it as best I can.

Al

Current Builds:

I went ahead and did it. I ripped off the planking to the wales. I could have faked it and made it look OK but it just would not have been right. This time I'll think a few moves ahead before I redo it and lay it out correctly. I know I would never be happy with it the way it was. It will probably take a couple of days before it's cleaned up enough to lay in some planks. It was a tough decision but I know I'll be glad I did it. 

Al

Current Builds: