Byrnes Saw Auction - See in Naut General Discussion ×
canoe21

Oliver Cromwell by canoe21 - 1:48 scale

Hello ShipMates

Just a little rebuild today. We have looked at our last 3 pictures posted a couple of days ago and all though they are rather large they do show that the door window Muttons are just to big and rather poorly installed. Well today we could not take it any longer so the little fellows and I remover the doors and replaced the door window Muttons, not perfect as yet but we feel that they are much better and closer to scale, now we can continue with the construction of the forward Bulkhead,                                                                 ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG

52 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Good evening Lawrence

she is coming along a treat, nice rework on the doors

are you going to add any any paint to  highlight the details or leave natural wood colour?

Thank you Kevin, Yes the more I looked at them the more I disliked them, so it had to be done. No paint in this area so it will be just oils and varnishes,                                                                                 ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Work continues in the Old Ship Yard as the little fellows and I have completed and installed the forward bulkhead. We found this one much easier to build. Now we have the dividing bulkhead between the Masters sleeping area and Steerage. To make installing this easier we have only friction fitted the two doors on the starboard side,                                                     ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_5548.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

The little fellows and I have completed all of the bulkheads in the aft section of our Oliver Cromwell build. We had to remove one of the doors from the Great Room to the Masters sleeping area. We have also notched out this bulkhead for the 3 over head beams. These are only dry fitted and tomorrow we will install this divider bulkhead leaving the beams loose for now to give us access to install the canons and a bed place in this very tiny area.

On a different note our order of the Natural Pear Wood arrived here today, this wood looks very good to me and hope it will bend as easily as our test strips did a few weeks ago. It will be nice to work again on the bigger parts of our ship,                                                ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

IMG_5550.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5552.JPG

Edited by canoe21

Hello Ship Mates

Work continues in the Old Ship Yard but at a very slow pace as there is so many other things to life to keep the little fellows and I away from the Old Ship Yard. However, this week the little fellows and I have planked the Lower Counter in Boxwood. We also started the outer hull planking above the Whales also in Boxwood. We had planed on planking the outer hull below the Whales also in Boxwood, however we could not get these planks to bend into the Lower Counter, at the Bow area we had no trouble at all. So we decided to use Natural Pear Wood below the Whales, as it is fairly easy to bend,                                      ENJOY

Regards   Lawrence

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

4 hours ago, Ebomba said:

Lawrence, sorry the boxwood below did not work out but I think the contrast of the boxwood and the pear looks real good,

excellent work as always.

Ed

Hello Ed, I thank you very much for your visit and also for your very kind words. Yes we did break up quite a few planks trying to get that very sharp bend at the Lower Counter in Boxwood, The Pear wood bent much easier and I do like the contrast between the Boxwood, the Walnut Wales and the Pear wood below the Wales,                                                          ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

4 hours ago, DocBlake said:

Lawrence:  I think pear below the wales looks good. I did that on my 1:93 scale cross section and I like the effect

Hello Dave, I thank you very much for your visit and for your very kind words. Yes the Natural Pearwood seams to be working out quite well for us, and like you say I do like the contrast between the different types of wood. 

Very nice job you have did on your Cross Section, I must give you a WELL DONE on your completion. You have given me a lot of ideas for my Oliver Cromwell build, Thanks.                                                                                         ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

These last two weeks have been very difficult for my Admiral and myself as our son Dennis lost his fight with cancer on 02 December. I have not felt like working very much in the Old Ship Yard very much. But one dose get bored with twilling one’s thumbs for hours at a time.  So, I would try to forget just a little by doing a little work on my Oliver Cromwell and it did help a little.

The little fellows are just as involved in thought as I am, but we did complete the lower hull planking on the Starboard side and add a couple of natural pear planks on the Port side to just below the first set of cut outs. A second set well continue just below these.

I wish to thank all of my Ship Mates for all of your support in these very difficult times for my Family and my self, Thank you all very much.

Regards   Lawrence

IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_5558.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

5 minutes ago, AON said:

I am so very sorry to read of your loss.

I hope you don't mind my saying that it may take some time before you feel like working on your build... take as long as you need... we will wait.

I lost almost a year as every time I tried to distract my thoughts from something that happened to me I felt like smashing everything I touched.  So I stayed away until it was safe.  I have wrtten too much.

Hello Allan, My Admiral and I appreciate very much your very kind words that help so much in these days of kiose. I have found it very hard to just sit around and think. But when I tryed the Old Ship Yard every thing that I did never seamed good enough, but passible I think. I still need more clean up on the outer lower hull, Thanks.

Regards   Lawrence

12 hours ago, gjdale said:

So very sorry to hear of your loss Lawrence. My thoughts are with you both.

Hello Grant, Bernadette and I thank you very much for your very kind and southing words in these very difficult times, Thanks.

Regards   Lawrence

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I am very saddened to hear that, Lawrence.   Loss is hard and hope you and your Admiral will just hug each other when either of you need comfort.   Take the time to mourn and grieve.  It's necessary.  

Thank you Mark, Bernadette and I thank you very much for your very much for your very kind and understanding words, Thanks.

Regards   Lawrence

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

Im so sorry to hear such bad news, please look after yourselfs and keep safe

Hello Kevin, Bernadette and I thank you very much for your very kind and helpful words. It is always nice to have an old friend drop in with such kindness, Thanks.

Regards   Lawrence

35 minutes ago, paulsutcliffe said:

So sorry to read that Lawrence, hang in there and keep planking

Regards

Paul

Hello Paul, We thank you very much for your kind words and also your nice comments. We are doing a bit of work to the Oliver Cromwell but our mind keeps drifting all over the place, but it dose help a bit, Thanks.

Regards   Lawrence