Loreley 1884 by Ilhan Gokcay - 1/75 - Scale Steam Yacht

• 2 months later...

I can't tell their exact shape due to the image quality. They attach to the hull via chain plates through a channel as deadeyes would but the top deadeye is below the cap rail which isn't normal and they don't appear to be rigging screws? Whatever the actual shape, they do appear to be shroud tensioners. Tis a mystery.

And in your second picture they look more like "normal deadeyes".

I have once seen (and I blame myself for not remembering where) a nice illustration of the systems that have been invented in the rather short period between the mid-1850's when wooden deadeyes were standard, and the early 1900's, when steel turnbuckles were the standard. I thought it was on segelschiffsmodellbau, but the man I thought that posted denied doing so....

Still thinking and searching …..

Jan

21 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Ilhan, the photos of Loreley are a neat look back in time. Other than the plans you created, is your only source of information for the build these photographs you shared? 

Keith,  all the Information I used is here. (There are pages 1-2 )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ilhan_gokcay/albums/72157640009407453

Ilhan. what a wonderful album of photos and your drawings. 

In foto 39, they look like traditional deadeyes. in your drawings, S01 and S07, you have them drawn as traditional deadeyes. What has made you doubt your original thoughts?

I ask not as criticism but out of simple curiosity.

Thank you for posting the Loreley link, I wish you the very best in your continued efforts to realize your dream. 

They do not show a considerable amount of detail, but in the Dutch Rijksmuseum collection, there are a couple of pics of Loreley. I took screenshots, and copied the link

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/NL/collectie/RP-F-F01148-M

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/collectie/RP-F-F01148-I

IMG_0996.thumb.PNG.5266938446f04db060e677bbdb8df7f4.PNG

IMG_0997.thumb.PNG.8cf2ab46b635c68659563178187efbb8.PNG

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken/objecten?q=S.m.s.+Loreley&p=1&ps=12&st=Objects&ii=0#/RP-F-F01148-Y,0

IMG_0999.thumb.PNG.caad7bf8959c0d2359452b8e00b59344.PNG

This one is frustrating: it shows the channels, but not the deadeyes.

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken/objecten?q=S.m.s.+Loreley&p=1&ps=12&st=Objects&ii=4#/RP-F-F01148-J,4

IMG_0998.thumb.PNG.ce8726d1b63eb47d72dc89098d257649.PNG

Holidaypics from a distant period....

8 hours ago, Keith Black said:

In foto 39, they look like traditional deadeyes. in your drawings, S01 and S07, you have them drawn as traditional deadeyes. What has made you doubt your original thoughts?

Thank you for posting the Loreley link, I wish you the very best in your continued efforts to realize your dream. 

probably while this doesn’t look like normal rigged deadeyes, there seems to be some strap over them.

069E484C-C26C-4789-8B90-967662251E2F.png.4c2e7b36063c5752427b78349eb0ee86.png

Besides: all other stays visible in the pics are rigged with some sort of turnbuckle-like construction.

Jan

11 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Keit, there is no problem of criticising. You are right asking this. From the beginning I did have doubts and I do still have. I've drawn them as deadeyes (with reservation) to finish the drawings. At that time I didn't asked this here at MSW, which I'm doing now. Thanks for your wishes.

Hey Jan, thank you very much for the Photos, valuable Information there. I think I may add them to my FlickR album of Loreley.

Exactly, they do like  deadeyes with a cover on them. From the beginning I did have doubts. It's interesting that there are so many pictures none of them having  a clear view of the deadeyes.

• 4 weeks later...