HMS Triton by GrandpaPhil - 1:72 Scale - POB

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I haven’t forgotten about the Triton.  I’m still getting caught up in my shipyard.

I know what I’m making it out of now.  I’ll use plywood for the bulkheads and basswood for about everything else.  

I’ll use a hardwood (possibly cherry or pear) for the carvings.

Masting will be locally procurable dowell rods.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve had a lot of fun with the Prince de Neufchatel, so I’m looking forward to starting in on the Triton.

I need to pick up a sheet of 1/4” (6mm) plywood for the bulkheads, but I have plenty of basswood for the planking and the underdeck.  I’m sure that I’ll be buying more, but I have enough to get started.

I just need to finish making the sails and installing the running rigging on the Prince de Neufchatel.  Hopefully that will be done by August.  Then I need to finish Victory, which will probably run me into next spring or summer, before I actually start cutting wood on Triton.

• 1 month later...

The Prince de Neufchatel is done now.  I have to finish Victory, then game on for Triton.

I believe that I am going to alter the scale to 1/72.

That seems to be a good compromise scale between size and level of detail.  Plus it worked well for the Prince de Neufchatel, and I believe that I’d like Triton in the same scale.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...