GrandpaPhil

HMS Triton by GrandpaPhil - 1:72 Scale - POB

I’m currently gathering information while finishing my build of the Victory.

This will be my first scratch build.

I’m going to build the Triton in plank on bulkhead fashion, because I am familiar with it.

I am looking forward to starting the Triton.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Still working on the Victory.  I’m currently finishing up making the gunport lids.  I’m scratch building most of the rest of that model to hone my scratch building skills for this model.

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

We’ve got a one ship in the shipyard at a time rule in our house.

I am subject to the same rules, I find.   Sometimes it's a zero ship in the shipyard rule!

Alan

I haven’t forgotten about the Triton.  I’m still getting caught up in my shipyard.

I know what I’m making it out of now.  I’ll use plywood for the bulkheads and basswood for about everything else.  

I’ll use a hardwood (possibly cherry or pear) for the carvings.

Masting will be locally procurable dowell rods.

I found the base for the Triton at a flea market today.AC1A4E38-B8E3-4807-B11C-672E0E2EDC01.thumb.jpeg.9d25b7de4cd924e29bb26f16f90dcf15.jpeg

It will be the perfect base!  I will build a cradle for the hull, like I did the Prince de Neufchatel, and mount the Triton on it.

I still have not forgotten about the Triton.  I’m still working on getting caught up in my shipyard.

The Prince de Neufchatel is nearly done.

The Victory is about half done.

The Triton will follow soon.

Welcome to the dark side.  It's really a fun place but it has it's moments. ;):P  

I’ve had a lot of fun with the Prince de Neufchatel, so I’m looking forward to starting in on the Triton.

I need to pick up a sheet of 1/4” (6mm) plywood for the bulkheads, but I have plenty of basswood for the planking and the underdeck.  I’m sure that I’ll be buying more, but I have enough to get started.

I just need to finish making the sails and installing the running rigging on the Prince de Neufchatel.  Hopefully that will be done by August.  Then I need to finish Victory, which will probably run me into next spring or summer, before I actually start cutting wood on Triton.

Posted (edited)

The Prince de Neufchatel is done now.  I have to finish Victory, then game on for Triton.

I believe that I am going to alter the scale to 1/72.

That seems to be a good compromise scale between size and level of detail.  Plus it worked well for the Prince de Neufchatel, and I believe that I’d like Triton in the same scale.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Hi Phil as usual I'm late again and the show has started. 

Do you mind if I stand at the back and watch, because I think I may start this once I've got a decent start on my Triton cross section, and after seeing your Victory I think I can learn a lot. 

Hi Phil - I'm always keen to watch a scratch-build. Esp. the thinking, pondering and general "how am I going to do that" stuff 😎 I know it'll be a while before she's underway but great to share the pre-build thoughts!

Pat