Mary Taylor 1850 by MrBlueJacket - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 3/16" = 1' (1:64) - NY Pilot boat

So now the hull comes off the work-board so the exterior can be finished. First problem is how do I mask off the scuppers so the spray paint doesn't get into them? The answer is to use 1/16" square balsa wood. It is soft and can be forced into the opening.

MT1.thumb.jpg.9dae549db0eee78340a6ec12eff455e0.jpg

The next step is to mask off the interior deck and bulwarks.

MT2.thumb.jpg.0ad053599153d53c13d1da15b0263f02.jpg

Here's what the hull looks like after some aggressive sanding with 60 grit paper. No need to go any finer, the primer will fill the small sanding marks.

MT1.thumb.jpg.aaab83bdea2027b3823e65751ae635fc.jpg

Then another coat of primer, and more putty. much less needed this time. If I'm lucky, maybe I won't need to do this a third time?

MT2.thumb.jpg.4265bf9469e346692efa6aa7472b1abb.jpg

All the starboard side plates are in place, except for the waterline row. Notice two things:

1 - the upper edge of the plating is ragged. Don't worry, the waterline row will hide all of that.

2 - The aft end waterline row is starting to be applied.

MTC.thumb.jpg.699e17afcd5bbf2802b72a6fc66c8f99.jpg

Edited by MrBlueJacket
spelling

And just to take a little break from the copper, let's put in the timberheads! Then we'll sand them flush to the bulwarks and add the caprail. Almost getting to where I really like the build - adding deck furniture and masting and rigging. I consider the hull a necessary evil to get to the fun stuff. Oh, and did I say, our client wants sails? We'll do those from silkspan. Stay tuned......MT12.thumb.jpg.ef8f1e258c1a15468fd45a2be254c74a.jpg

Edited by MrBlueJacket
added content