Mary Taylor 1850 by MrBlueJacket - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 3/16" = 1' (1:64) - NY Pilot boat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello from the UK ,

I have been looking at jgodseys  Mary Taylor tutorial and now yours as I really would like to make my second build a schooner (not sure which one yet) .I asked a question on jgodseys build relating to how difficult it was to cut the excess wood away from a solid hull to get the exact shape needed . Now that I am looking at your build can I ask if the decking is pre-formed with the individual planking printed on or all individual planking strips (if so what wood ?) ? Also did you make the sails yourself or are they supplied .

Thanks

Mike

Edited by legend

Hello Nic ,

Once again I am looking at your very nice Mary Taylor build and for all it seems a quite basic build regarding deck furniture etc , I suppose you could add as much of your own additional items as you wish ! also what is your opinion regarding using wood strips for cabins etc without painting ? My idea when I get round to building a schooner is to leave it all natural wood  including the hull just to emphasise the beauty of  the wood build .

At 20 " in length I think the Mary Taylor would be too small for me so now I have whittled my choice down to three different boat builds :

Benjamin Latham /  (model shipways )  /  33"

Smuggler / Solid Hull  / (Bluejacket )  /  33"

Flying Fish / ( Corel )  /  29.3"

I would consider the solid hull Benjamin Latham from Ebay but these are mostly US sites and UK customs have a habit of adding ridiculous customs charges from the US .

As I would value your opinion have you any preferences from my three choices ? bearing in mind I intend to make it an all wood finished model and might even change some of the woods supplied ?

thanks

Mike

• 2 years later...
On 9/24/2018 at 3:46 PM, MrBlueJacket said:

After installing the gratings, deadeyes and fife rails, I put some of the other deck furniture on to see how it looks.

MT2.thumb.jpg.4afcd00f0dc68ba192a01bb70dbedb2a.jpg

What is the purpose with the gold coating? I notice that you use green later in the process. I have purchased the same kit and my plans are to soon start with this project (I just completed my Swampscott dory). I also got the gold paint together with my kit, It looks really nice but what paint color should be used ? Please advice, thank you MrBlueJacket.

/M 

14 hours ago, MrIronMike said:

What is the purpose with the gold coating? I notice that you use green later in the process. I have purchased the same kit and my plans are to soon start with this project (I just completed my Swampscott dory). I also got the gold paint together with my kit, It looks really nice but what paint color should be used ? Please advice, thank you MrBlueJacket.

/M 

Hi,

There is no gold coating. What you see is the raw photo etched pieces. The boats are unfinished castings.