Leon by Doug McKenzie - FINISHED - a beautiful little brigantine

Hi there.

I've come across you because I was bidding for a picture of the boat you are building on ebay, and google searched to find out more about the boat. Do you have any idea what happened to her after 1915? Was she dismantled?

Reading about your work and the history of the boat has been really interesting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Framed-Signed-Harriet-McGregor-Leon-Brigantine-Ship-Print-U742/324496026567

Thanks for this.

Rhian

Rhian,

As far as what happened to Leon after her catastrophic leak in 1915, I don't know.  I doubt if she was used in any normal service.  I will ask my friend in Norway if any of the newspaper articles talk about that or maybe there was just a standard way of dealing with ships in that condition.

As far as the lovely sail plan goes, this is one of five (I think) sheets of plans that Harold Underhill drew in the 50s I think.  They are sold by Brown, Son and Ferguson.  It might be that the copies of the original drawings are larger than the ebay picture - I can't tell how big the ebay picture is.

A bunch of years ago I built a 'model' (1 to 8 scale) of Leon so that I could actually sail her.  Here's a photo:

DelRiv2.jpg.f9b7c0e32e920ffecbd11484a1623a32.jpg

Thanks for your interest in Leon,

Doug

Wow!  That looks amazing.  Is that a crew of three I see in there?  Was it a lot to handle with all of those sails or just a matter of setting them and staying on course for a while?

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Matt D,

There were some simplifications introduced to make sailing her feasible with just 2 people.  All 5 braces were combined into a single line which was a big loop no ends.   Pulling on on side of the loop brought all 5 yards around while the other side of the loop was free to pay out the other side of the yards. In addition, each sail had its buntlines combined into 1 line, looped, just like the braces.  Pull on one line and all the buntlines are taken in furling the sail,  In addition,  both sheets were attached and paid out as the buntlines were taken in.  To set the sail, you pull in on the sheets and the buntlines release.  This arrangement was used on all five square sails. Lastly, the sheets of the outer jib, inner jib and  fore staysail were all carried back to the cockpit, aft of the main mast to increase ease of sailing. 

The result of all of this is that she had a lot of mobility.  She would wear ship very easily and she could also come about but that requires furling all five square sails and then resetting them after the maneuver was complete. I've got a 3 minute video of her sailing and coming about but I don't know how to put the video in this blog.

Doug

The main lower shrouds are done, the fore topmast is shipped and fitted with shrouds and the fore yard is in place.  I considered not putting any yards in place until all of the standing rigging was in place but I realized that I could mount yards without getting in the way of other rigging too much so I'm doing it because I like the way it looks.  For this picture, I have also included the fore lower topsail yard in order to show a different way that I'm making the jackstay.  For the fore yard, I bent little pieces of wire around the jackstay but for the fore lower topsail yard, I soldered little pieces of wire to the jackstay making it a little less prominent.  (The jackstay stanchions have not been put in their holes yet so they can be seen)

1992482479_Lowertopsailyard.thumb.jpg.75a52b0f1ea5473f7541d491365f7254.jpg

• 1 month later...

In responding to Matt D about "Little Leon" (the 1:8 sailing 'model') I have since learned from my wife that the 3 1/2 minute video is on YouTube.  Here's the address:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkJW7So95YQ

You can see (from a distance) the square sails being furled in preparation to come about.

What a wonderful 3 year project!

PS My wife and I have just finished moving so a few more weeks of settling in and I'll be able to get back to Leon.  The photo below shows Leon in her new home.

1857644354_InNewHome.thumb.jpg.f23979b3aed8bfab9ac382943da4f737.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's been about 2 months since we have had a posting and we are near completion so I figured I'd put up some pictures.  What remains is some

headsail halyards and downhauls, a starboard demo of how the anchor is brought aboard, the royal yard, a few backstays and ratlines.  It may sound silly but the most enjoyable task recently has been figuring how long each coil on a belaying pin should be e.g. a staysail's downhaul coils a lot more line than that staysail's halyard.

PB.thumb.jpg.d3983a89d9d7696d5aa142e459b9f479.jpg

SB.thumb.jpg.60db02ca8facd3d1426010300927001e.jpg

SQ.thumb.jpg.7ce48aa1efd6c81b7ce1919cc7f98c6e.jpg

PQ.thumb.jpg.3aaec35c57dae1c1de94f4f0b32d95df.jpg

Edited by Doug McKenzie

Beautiful little vessel...well done!

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks very much Rob it's always nice to get positive feedback You seem to have a healthy respect and interest in Donald Mckay so I figured I would tell you that in high school and college Donald Mckay was kind of my hero of all heroes Your boats look absolutely gorgeous.   One of my sons went to Webb institute And they have a wonderful model of Young America in the main lobby

• 1 month later...

We are a little further on towards completion.  The windmill pump is installed just forward of the mainmast.  I should mention that some time ago we had a question of whether Leon had a windmill pump.  We know now she definitely did because of a newspaper article at her demise and because Norwegian maritime law required she have one.

1510593587_windmillcard.thumb.jpg.2cd2589b315521771691f01c66fb125f.jpg

The white card on the back of the starboard main shrouds is used to get proper spacing of the ratlines and rat boards.

When the ratlines are finished we'll add the braces and be done.

Edited by Doug McKenzie

• 2 months later...

This will be the last posting for this model of Leon as she is finished. 

1558284767_OnFinalBase.thumb.jpg.448558565ca30b42e475c1019cbd623a.jpg

There are two documents following.  The first, Leon-Overview is just a short intro the Leon.  The second, Leon-Technical Details, discusses how authentic is the model  This document describes the research findings of Jeppe Jul Nielson about Leon and how those findings were incorporated into the model. 

LEON - Overview.docx

LEON - Technical Details.docx

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I missed it too.   Congrats on a beautiful model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well done Doug and finely executed.  Well researched and wonderful attention to detail.

Congrats.  She will bring you years of viewing pleasure.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks for all the kind words, folks.  So I guess I was mistaken when I said the last post would be the previous one since THIS will be the last post.  The reason another one is needed is because I failed to mention that Leon is being donated to a foundation in Norway, Tollerodden, which is helping to keep the memory and accomplishments of Colin Archer alive.   He was the designer and builder of Leon.  He built 4 ships (Leon was one and Fram, a polar ship, was another) but his reputation was solidly built on very successful and numerous pilot boats and rescue boats.  The foundation is located in Larvik, Norway where Leon (original) was built in 1880.  Please invoke whatever good luck mechanisms you find effective that Leon arrives in Larvik in great condition.

To help me remember her we've had a 'photo' constructed that's kind of neat - 6 views of her in one picture:

Some particulars will be in the rectangle in the center in the final picture.

1990372297_Cleansix.thumb.jpg.04d897d7574b480ff9af0041faf3aba2.jpg

Since the research work of Jeppe Jul Nielsen was not available until the framing and outer and inner planking were pretty much complete, there were some details that couldn't be fixed on the model.  The most important of these is the moulded dimension of the frames.  The model frames (moulded) are 45% larger than the original.  There are a few other interesting details.

The beam's end supports on the original ship (and on the model) are 2 diagonal (aka angled) hanging knees rather than the common arrangement of 1 lodging knee and 1 hanging knee.  I have never encountered this on any other ship nor has anyone I have spoken with.

The windmill pump was very common on Norwegian (and possibly other Scandinavian ships)  but I had never encountered them before this project.  In fact,  it was not until late in this project that Jeppe found proof that Leon had one.

I failed to serve the entire length of the first port and starboard fore shrouds.  Although this may not be noticed by many, it was a feature that I was looking forward to implementing from the beginning of the project.  I didn't even notice this lack until I was putting on the ratlines.

Other details that may be of interest are given in "Leon - Technical Details" (an attachment in Post #101).

Thanks and good fortune to all  

Doug

More congrats are in order then.   What an honor for you and the model.   I'll be among those keeping my fingers crossed that transportation goes smoothly and safely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

I've received word that Leon has arrived in Larvik in good shape -  I have no details!

Also I have received a link - https://colin-archer.no/LEON.html - to a history of Leon written by Jeppe Jul Nielsen.  This material is now available for the first time and along with the technical details behind it, can now be used by any modeler interested in expanding Underhill's material to create an even more authentic model of Leon than was previously possible.

Edited by Doug McKenzie
to add link to Leon's story