Requesting feedback for future MSW Group Projects

Quick little Poll about future MSW projects - multiple choice, you can select more than one per question  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer that

• All of the group builds be scratch projects only with a plan download....
    • Or would you prefer that some were semi scratch where a starter package was offered or other elements for folks who dont have the tools yet.
    • Or would you like to see an NRG sanctioned complete kit for a group build
  2. 2. Would you prefer

• That all of the projects were plank on frame
    • That we also create some entry level/intermediate level plank on bulkhead only projects
    • Possibly solid hull or made from lifts
  3. 3. Would you like to see group projects developed for

• Smaller complete vessels and boats only like a schooner or long boat or cutter
    • cross sections
    • bow sections
    • stern sections
    • certain fittings for very small projects like doing a double capstan or making a brodie stove
    • Half model
    • I like larger frigates and liners and have no interest in smaller subjects
  4. 4. Do you mind paying

• A small fee similar to the Triton project for a plan download only
    • I would pay for starter package in the $25 - $50 range
    • I would pay for a starter package in the $50 - $100 range
    • I would pay for a starter package in the $100 - $150 range
    • I would pay for a printed set of plans only for a scratch project in the $40-$75 price range
    • I would NOT pay to join a group project but if they were free I would join up
  5. 5. Would you commit to joining a group build and start a build log for one of the projects listed below that are available right now or within a few months. Six commitments needed to start a group build.

• Group project specifically designed to teach planking techniques
    • Entirely scratch POB project for the Schooner sultana 1/4" scale with only plans made available.
    • Semi scratch POB project for an American Gunboat 1812 with a Bulkhead starter kit only. Scratch everything else.
    • Larger frigate like the HMS Winchelsea with starter package and mini-kits available.
    • None of the above...
    • A new POF cross section or Expanded Triton Cross section with laser cut parts for folks without tools

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Its not a physical group....to clarify....if you dont join this online group (similar to TRiton Group)  then you must wait to buy them.  But if you join the online group....LIke TRiton, which is just a group of build logs of the longboat all in the same area.  The group we are referring to is just the online group put together here on MSW.  Not a physical group in your geographical location.

roger, understood

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

It is indeed.   We are setting these groups up here specifically for just that reason....because many of you dont live close to a physical group of people in order to have one locally.

• 1 month later...

Chuck, I would like to join the group please.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

• 1 month later...

Chuck; I'd like to join the group (at this late date) if possible .....Moab/Allan Glass

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 4 weeks later...

Eric; very nice model especially since little info is available. It certainly reminds me of the wonderful book "Undaunted Courage " and the pain that group encountered with the boats...Moab/Allan

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 9 months later...

Since we have plans in the works for some potential new group projects I am giving this topic a bump.  Note the newer choices added to the poll on the last question.   If none suit your fancy...please list once again your subject matter of choice and how you would like to see the project presented.

For example....

"I would like to see a group for a small skipjack with plans made available.   I would like to have a starter package available for the main skeletal parts like the bulkheads and keel but beyond that I would prefer to scratch everything else with help from participants and a group leader or mentor."

This type of request helps us find someone and put together such a project because there are more details than simply stating a subject type.

Chuck

I’d like to build the Sultana again.  

I built the Model Shipways version, but I didn’t put sails on it.

Count me in for doing a POB scratch build.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

What about the cross-section?  It's small even at 1:48 and you will learn a lot of the basics for scratch building POF.  Many of us have used that as a stepping stone.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm definitely interested in a POF cross section. As Mark said above, I think it would be a great stepping stone to scratch building POF models and allows for a lot of custom details and a wide range of useful skills.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

The Triton cross-section is a great way to start scratchbuilding, IMO.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I can second Marks words. The Triton section makes also a really nice model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Its on the list!!!  But arent you guys had enough of the cross sections?  I mean its been done to death.  There are some forums that have these groups already with more than one Cross section.  It gets a little old ....

But if there is sufficient interest.  I think I can create one that is better than any of those and maybe a little different.  But its going to be quite a while.

cedarship.jpg

i havent build a cross section... LOL...

but i wil be interested if it yust more then that ,as i told erlier maby the stern gallery with  the cabin etc 

then you can have all the stern ornements with it , then i wil go for it (something new and spesial)

svein erik

53 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Its on the list!!!  But arent you guys had enough of the cross sections?  I mean its been done to death.  There are some forums that have these groups already with more than one Cross section.  It gets a little old ....

But if there is sufficient interest.  I think I can create one that is better than any of those and maybe a little different.  But its going to be quite a while.

cedarship.jpg

57 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

I like the idea of a stern section. 

Steve

I do as well.  All we ever see is the midship section and an occasional Victory bow kit.  How about we go all out and do a half longitudinal section.  I have never seen a kit like that before and only rarely see an example of a contemporary half.  

I think it was Druxey who told me about a longitudinal half hull model somewhere in a museum where when you walk up to it you can see little scale hologram figures walking around the decks.

Edited by MEDDO

I'd love to see a longitudinal section that shows all the decks, cabins, holds, etc. of a vessel. Much of the joy of modelling, for me, is learning how things work (or worked) and closed models leave out so much of the good stuff. And it'd be very different from all the standard cross-sections.  Lots more visual interest for viewers, too.