help with choosing my next build

Kevin

Good evening everyone

This year I am 60 years old and possibly 3 years away from retiring I came back to modelling a few years ago after a 40 years break, and currently have a few large scale builds on the go

My 1/72 HMS Fife which should be completed within the year

My Caldercraft HMS Victory, which I am desperately wanting to get back to, now that I have a way ahead for her

And my 1/80 SD 14 Cargo ship in card (ongoing)

I love the 1/72 scale, I may be bad at doing it and the size takes me for ever but when im in my man cave I love it,

I am looking for another build, maybe a little different, I don’t want another 1st rate what I am after is something in the 100 year time scale before or after the Victory, British in 1/72, in wood,

I would love a plank on frame, but don’t have the tools for milling, and I sold my unused brynes thicknesser/sander last year

Any suggestions , because at the moment everything I look at does not fit into the bracket

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin,

I don't think you will have much difficulty finding projects that fit your criteria if you look at subjects from the 100 years prior to HMS Victory. The trouble comes when you look at the 100 years after. Most kit manufacturers appear to think that the Age of Sail ended precisely at Trafalgar (although there are some clipper ship offerings). One type of subject that I find fascinating is the transitional sail-steamer, which is an inexcusably neglected type in the hobby. The only British ship that I know of from that era that is currently offered in kit form is Billing Boats's HMS Warrior, but it is in 1/100th scale; there's a build log on here somewhere for it. BlueJacket have produced limited edition kits of USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama, both in 1/96th scale; Alabama was, of course, built in England. The kit that really intrigues me personally, though, is Woody Joe's 1/75th scale Kanrin Maru, ordered from the Netherlands in 1853. Woody Joe has an excellent reputation for design and quality, and Kanrin Maru has a lot of visual appeal. It's a kit I'd love to see being built  -- even though she may not be all that British. Okay, not British at all, but still very nice.

Cheers,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you Chris 

i of course have looked at the Amerigo Vesspucci, i ruled Warrior out due to scale size (not because its Billings) i have also considered Lumberyards kits but i dont have a milling machine or fully understand the imperial scales, but i do love that Kanrin Maru and the scale is good lol i called rename it to sound British

thank you for your reply

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

How about HMS Ark Royal R09  in 1/72 scale if one is out there.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Clare Hess did a nice review of the Kanrin Maru kit on his blog. Lots of photos of the kit contents.

Ow, my ears are burning...

Kevin, 

1/72-scale is not a standard ship modeling scale. Besides the Caldercraft Victory and Amati's Vanguard, the only other ship model kits in this scale I am aware of are either Dusek kits or the laser-cut paper kits from Shipyard. 

The Kanrin Maru kit that Chris mentioned is actually 1/75-scale. Two Woody Joe kits that are 1/72-scale are late Edo period coastal transports, the Higaki Kaisen and the Kitamae-bune. They also have a nice model of the Khufu ship (Egyptian "sun" boat) in 1/72.

If you don't find something out of those kits (though I may have missed something, of course), I think you're going to have to scratch build.

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

How about HMS Ark Royal R09  in 1/72 scale if one is out there.

OC.

OC thank you i am tempted, i can get the hull in 1/96, but would possibly do Fearless, intrepid of the Tiger

http://www.sirmarfittings.com/british warships.html

but for this project i would like something a little different but bridging a time gap, the wife just mentioned the SS great Britain

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

got to go work will reply to comments later on thank you

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

OC thank you i am tempted, i can get the hull in 1/96, but would possibly do Fearless, intrepid of the Tiger

http://www.sirmarfittings.com/british warships.html

but for this project i would like something a little different but bridging a time gap, the wife just mentioned the SS great Britain

Tiger would be Brilliant  Helicopter moded version?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

11 hours ago, Snow said:

Hey mate how you going 

For something different have you looked at fishing boats like the trotameros a leisure craft or the palamos a fishing vessel good luck

ty i have had a look, but with 24 of thinking i have come up with a few ideas already

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Just to throw a hand grenade in and run out, this suggestion was given to me, by all people (the wife)

the paddle steamer Waverly

but would possibly need to be 1/48 (about 60" long)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_Waverley

waverly (32).JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished