Medway Longboat 1742 by Chuck - FINISHED - 1/2" scale

Yes but the washer was already on it....but it doesnt have to be.   Just use these....after the bit breaks of course.  The kind with the 1/8" shanks.

15179008.jpg

19 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Yes but the washer was already on it....but it doesnt have to be.   Just use these....after the bit breaks of course.  The kind with the 1/8" shanks.

Thanks! I've never seen these before. I found some on eBay and on Amazon. I'll have to give them a try.

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Chuck, do you recommend using beeswax or conservator's wax for the rigging using your ropes? If so, how do you use it? Thanks.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

No need.  I already waxed your rope.  Its good to go right out of the package.  You can add more if you want to but I wouldnt recommend it.

Chuck

36 minutes ago, Chuck said:

No need.  I already waxed your rope.  Its good to go right out of the package.  You can add more if you want to but I wouldnt recommend it.

Chuck

Hows that for service!!  Pre-waxed thread.  👍

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Chuck, does the peak halliard go around a thimble on the end where it meets the short length of rope attached to the gaff? The short length of rope attached to the gaff appears to run through an eye with a thimble in your photos. It looked that way on Rusty's build also but it's hard for me to see clearly even when I blow up the photos.  Am I seeing that correctly?

Also, what is your preferred glue for knots and seizings?

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Chuck, I went ahead and used a thimble on the eye splice at the end of the peak halliard. I hope that is correct. I have another rigging question too. Are the deadeyes rigged with .018 rope or .025 rope? 

Sorry for all the newbie questions. This is my first time rigging anything and it's going slowly as I work my way through this. Slowly but surely I'll get there...I think...

Many thanks,

Bob  

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Do you mean the laniards between each pair of deadeyes....if so, those should be .018 light brown.  The shrouds are .035 dark brown.

Lets see some of the progress.   Can you post it in your build log.....that is the best place to ask these questions as well.   You should post pictures and ask these question in your build log.  It makes it easier to answer that way.

Ok, I'll post any future questions on my build log. I keep thinking I should update my build log but I get too engrossed in working on my build and researching the forum for information. I guess I will be spending quite a bit more time working on her since the governor of CA just asked everyone over the age of 65 to stay at home and not go out anywhere... 😞

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 1 year later...

I love the look of furled or partially furled sails on a small boat like this one.  A good friend of mine and fellow club member "TomShipModel" was kind enough to take my Medway Longboat model and do just that for.  I am horrible at this and would have certainly made a mess of it.  Tom is certainly an expert at it and I have seen the work he does with sails on his models.  So I was so happy he agreed to do this.  It has been a learning experience just watching him do this.  He used the sail plan that is available for download here.   Here are a couple of in progress photos.   Tom said he has a bunch of pics and post a how -to of sorts when its all done.  I will certainly post more pictures.  The sails are made of silkspan.

furled.jpg

And one of the fore staysail underway....just beautiful work.   Hanging very naturally.   

furled3.jpg

furled1.jpg

Man those sails look fantastic.  I've always shied away from incorporating sails because mine always looked like old undershirts.  It would be great if Tom provided a tutorial.  That's probably one of the least-understood skills (I think) in ship modeling.

Alan

14 minutes ago, knightyo said:

That's probably one of the least-understood skills (I think) in ship modeling.

Alan

I totally agree regarding sail making.

The provided material for sail in kits in general are not good at all.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

This model is 1/2" scale so I believe he went with 3 layers of silkspan.   I cant remember.  This is what it looks like completed.  Note how the jib sail is furled and brought in close to the fore staysail.   Just a small portion of the sail on the bowsprit with the traveller ring brought in a bit more.   I will have better photos soon enough and hopefully Tom will post his step by step....all three sails are on the model and look very natural and to scale.  These furled or semi-furled versions are smaller in size than if you set them full sail....

furled4.jpg

Below you can see the two sizes of sails.  The full sized sails as if you were setting them raised.  The three smaller versions are on the top row with bolt ropes ready to be used as the furled versions.   If you tried to furl the full sized sails it would look to heavy and thick and out of scale.  So Tom reduced their size accordingly....before setting them on the model as naturally laying furled/semi furled sails.

furled.jpg

Hi everyone!

Thank you, Chuck, for the kind words.  I will be setting up a tutorial on the sails.  It will take me a little while to set it up, but once I do I will run through it quickly.  I typically use three plies of silk span for 1:48 and smaller if the sail is to be set.  Sometimes I will reduce to two ply if the sail is to be furled, but not always.  Because the Longboat is 1:24, I used four plies of silk span.  More when I get my log started.

Tom

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

Beautiful job Tom.  They look so realistic and add to the model.  I too look forward to your tutorial.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

What a beautiful job on these sails. Tom, many thanks in advance for sharing your technique. Much appreciated.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Tom and Bill came by my shop a few days ago.  Tom dropped off the Longboat model with the sails all finished.  What a masterful job he did on these sails.  I think it adds so much to the overall presentation.   Anyway....I took some photos from various angles so you guys might see them in more detail.  Thanks again Tom.

In addition....<Medway Longboat kits are now in stock.  I believe there are only 4 left now.  But I will make more soon.

Chuck

sails.jpg

sails1.jpg

sails2.jpg

sails3.jpg

sails4.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!

I might need to pick one of these up.

I see you have the custom base available for this and the price is great. What about doing one for the Cheerful?

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

Those sails look so natural.

I like to know how it was done.

Just beautiful!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 4 months later...

Just discovered the sail making tutorial..  That should be pinned in the NRG Articles and How-To's..

It will be useful for any sail making project..

I'm also paying more attention to your Medway longboat kit.  I think I need a new project to relieve the doldrums.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• 1 year later...
On 21.07.2018 at 04:12, Chuck said:

Спасибо, джентльмен. Обшивка продолжается.

Я выполнил 4 из 9 страйков. Каждая полоса имеет две секции. Передняя и задняя планка. Для первых 3 ремней, работающих от киля, я начал с кормовой стойки, а затем добавил носовую часть ремней. Каждая секция делается немного длиннее после регулировки концов, которые заправляются в шпунт. Вам нужно обрезать концы по длине, чтобы они ложились на раму. При размещении второй доски в каждой рейке, вы должны обрезать ее по длине, чтобы она аккуратно и плотно втыкалась в первую.  

гарборд1.jpg

Но теперь, когда я работаю над четвертым стропом, я переключился и начал с носа. Теперь заднюю часть обшивки можно снять с транца и позже отшлифовать заподлицо. Вы можете видеть на фотографиях, что мне еще предстоит отшлифовать последнюю секцию четвертой полосы с одной стороны. Я буду продолжать до стрижки таким образом. Осталось всего пять страйков. Но даже если вы не занимались планкой в течение года, она быстро возвращается к вам и становится легче с каждым повторением.

Вот несколько фотографий того, как это выглядит сегодня. На этих фотографиях очень хорошо виден желтый кедр с Аляски.  

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

superbly beautiful... look. Very neat and beautiful. no flaws great!!!

On 07.12.2018 at 00:48, Tim Murphy said:

Чак, я бы еще купил подставку в качестве дополнительного комплекта. Я думаю, что это выглядит здорово!

Тим Мерфи

I would also buy. and a stand and a model, that is, an assembly kit!! I like! that's just me in Russia, and until I destroy the president and the government....please excuse me.🤐