Small Boat by Jim Rogers - Master Korabel - 1/72 scale - SMALL

After attempting to build 4 Model Shipway small boat kits I gave up in frustration. Never pray for patience as a wooden boat modeler  because God will whisper “ Get the Model Shipways Small Boat Kit it will be fun.” 

I built Master Korabel Cannon Jolle and really enjoyed it. Was a fun build using quality material so I got the 75mm 1/72 scale Small Boat to hang on my Syren. This kit comes with quality material also. Nice ply for formers and pear wood for the boat itself. I bought my kit on eBay and it came directly from Russia with the instructions in Russian. I contacted Greenstone at Master Korabel and within 2 hours had instructions in English. Great customer service.

Here is what is in the box:

B304B5F2-94C7-4087-8C31-C4FF56E4375B.jpeg

7C009A89-75CC-47FD-9ECD-8B2611C2B8F9.jpeg

97EB8FD0-AC4C-482A-A971-E45C3FA3565D.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

The first steps are to assemble the keel. 4 parts make up this assembly and it is pretty straight forward. The next step is the attachment of the stern frame 12 and riser 14. All of the bulkheads are designed to have only the notch glued to the keel. They have a vertical laser cut so they can be broken off and removed later. This make these parts very delicate so be careful.F9EAADDA-FA0B-47B9-8691-904FBEA1D8E5.thumb.jpeg.04cbc46ff7520ded1d1e126206697055.jpeg331E1417-9B4C-493E-9279-311DD9845083.thumb.jpeg.792af7d36d7ab2edda9f82443da5322c.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Next up is the construction of the assembly board. Unlike the Model Shipway assembly board, this one requires no measuring or gluing cross boards. Straight up glue in the groove. The instructions refer to this assembly as the Conductor and Crest. I call it the assembly board. Make sure you sand all the grooves as they are very tight and if you don’t you will have issues later.

5F98988B-2764-4FD7-8BD5-58C7C7708E34.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Jim,

I made one of these for my Brigantine Phoenix model (in progess).

Will be interested to see how yours goes. I found some of the wood pretty crumbly, so be careful. Pear planking is fantastic though. Still have a few details to add. I think mine might be the slightly larger version.

20180203_162330.thumb.jpg.b51c7ba525ea2b67d5acc7b13ec9f19d.jpg20180203_162313.thumb.jpg.608b13ff08be80d678d38cc83971a390.jpg20180203_162509.thumb.jpg.9125f80630f0aa1db7e102ea6bdb4120.jpg20180203_162418.thumb.jpg.6c30a939a7ea1bb554782aa8487f3ed3.jpg

Edited by Tim Curtis

Now the fun begins. Bulkheads 3 through 6 are assembled to the assembly board. DO NOT GLUE to the assembly board. I put them all in and glued the upper quarter together with CA. Then bulkheads 7 to 11 are mounted. Frames 7&8 have the fairing marks mounted forward and frames 9,10 and 11 are mounted aft. 

25C5B33F-9BB0-4FF1-8174-7943E176C90D.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Thanks for putting this up Jim 

I am very much looking forward to what a master can do with this kit and see what my chances might be as I have the 95 mm  boat in my Phoenix kit! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 minutes ago, Tim Curtis said:

Jim,

I made one of these for my Brigantine Phoenix model (in progess).

Will be interested to see how yours goes. I found some of the wood pretty crumbly, so be careful. Pear planking is fantastic though. Still have a few details to add. I think mine might be the slightly larger version.

20180203_162330.thumb.jpg.b51c7ba525ea2b67d5acc7b13ec9f19d.jpg20180203_162313.thumb.jpg.608b13ff08be80d678d38cc83971a390.jpg20180203_162509.thumb.jpg.9125f80630f0aa1db7e102ea6bdb4120.jpg20180203_162418.thumb.jpg.6c30a939a7ea1bb554782aa8487f3ed3.jpg

Yours looks great. Like your color scheme.

I have mine completed and only had one piece break but it was totally my fault. I painted mine tallow and black. This kit is light years beyond the Model Shipways kit, well at least for me.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

1 minute ago, lmagna said:

Thanks for putting this up Jim 

I am very much looking forward to what a master can do with this kit and see what my chances might be as I have the 95 mm  boat in my Phoenix kit! 

Lou you will have no problems with this kit. My only issue was understanding parts of the written instructions but truth be told the pictures and IPB make the written word UN-necessary. This is a great little kit.....and I am far from a master.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Just now, Jim Rogers said:

and I am far from a master

Could have fooled me with your last build. It reminded me that I am just a mere mortal.

I still need to set a date to get over your way and see it in person.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

After the Bulkheads are placed in the Assembly board, the keel assembly is glued to the bulkheads. Make sure you only glue the notched area. The Transom (13) is added to the stern. I could find no where in instructions where you were directed to attach side pieces 15R &L so I went with the photos. Glue only to the bow and stern NOT the bulkheads.  

fullsizeoutput_1d7.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

This is where this kit and the Model Shipway differ greatly. In this kit you find very pliable, when wet,  pear veneer strips to make the ribs. There are also slots in the keel and side pieces to slide the ribs through. Only glue at the bottom and side slot, not directly to the bulkheads. I discovered that the because you could not glue to the bulkheads they really didn't help in forming the ribs so I removed them early. made getting the ribs through much easier. this is what you have when finished. 

fullsizeoutput_1d3.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Next is the planking. Very easy as all the planks are pre-shaped and laser cut. Make sure you number them and remove prior to use. the white line towards the top is part number 15 sanded even. 

IMG_4172.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Thanks for posting this Jim. I have a couple of these little kits in the desk drawer waiting to be built. I tried to build a MS boat kit too and only got so far before I tossed it in the trash. I hope the manufacturer continues to add different scales and sizes.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Nice fit Jim. 

Looks like it was always meant to be there. No indication at all that they are slightly different scales. Glad it worked for you. 

Sure made a quick build of the kit though! :o

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Nice fit Jim. 

Looks like it was always meant to be there. No indication at all that they are slightly different scales. Glad it worked for you. 

Sure made a quick build of the kit though! :o

I knew the scale was a little off but I held it back there and it did not look out of scale so I went with it. The instructions say to use PVA glue but I used CA for the entire Build makes it go a little faster but it still took me a week. This is my second Master Korabel kit and I have to say they are very high quality. I am going to get the 95mm small boat and the Phoenix.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

I wish I could say that the Phoenix/95 mm boat are a great build but unfortunately mine are still in the box on the shelf! So I have no idea what they will build like. As you probably already know they look like superb kits. Not long after I bought the Phoenix I became interested in the Providence and that has occupied me ever since. 

I can say though that you probably want to go with the deluxe kit as it has the boat included and it used to have the upgraded blocks and stuff. It will be nice to see your build as so far i don't think anyone has completed a Phoenix outside of Russia!:huh:  If you want to spend a bunch more money there are a couple of after market laser carvings and sails as well. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=brigantine+phoenix&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=master+korabel+phoenix+transom&LH_TitleDesc=0

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I have built 2 ships boats from this supplier. They are challenging but can produce very good results, especially with a bit of paint to cover imperfections. I was also frustrated my Model Shipways boat kits. Another alternative I’ve used is to but Jotika boats. The hulls are plastic so they need to be painted, but thwarts are wood and interiors look good when covered with oars and accessories.