RN Tribal H Class conversion to G Class Destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350

Again thanks for the likes and the comments!

CLeared the deck with the molds to stick the platform on. primed a couple of parts, funnels, base of the forard "super"structure, 4.7" guns (inside, and bottom), replaced the bollards, and fairleads. I'll try tomake a picture with the difference kit vs detail up. I'll need to build a searchlight tower, and change the bridge's rear section. Going to have some fun ... that's for certain

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Looking great, Carl.  That reconstruction of the aft gun platform couldn't have easy at this scale but it looks good   You mean you haven't had fun until now?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Following kit instructions ... you call that fun ... ? So far there has been one challenge: Getting the hull plating to show at this scale. Before that,:To glue or not to glue ... now ripping things up, and adding components, makes it start to look almost like a scratch build ;) a bit of a basratch build :D:D:D  

It starts to cool down - I know Greg: Tain't  'alf 'ot 'ere - so tonight I'll get my rattle can of flat varnish out and give Vendetta and the two Japanese subs a coat. After drying, the subs get a gloss coating on their balast tanks to make them look whet-ish for some realism when I get on a diorama ... I'm visualising palmtrees , a sandy bay, white beaches, tropical drinks ........ and two moored subs ... whats wrong in this picture :huh: 

Carl

2 hours ago, cog said:

I'm visualising palmtrees , a sandy bay, white beaches, tropical drinks ........ and two moored subs ... whats wrong in this picture :huh: 

Needs a bar... then the crews will be happy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

bays are not sandy........the beach head is ;)  :)   you had to ask  ;)   is the Glowworm the name of the ship your doing...or are you doing a side build ?   I ask only because you didn't name her in the beginning.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

it's the one I'm building. I will do the Huron too. I wanted to do a G class but could't find a kit. should have looked under tribal class :wacko: At the start I didn't yet know which one to build, then Lou came up with the Glowworm ... what can I say ... I'm a sucker for underdogs :D 

Carl

5 hours ago, cog said:

Following kit instructions ... you call that fun ... ? So far there has been one challenge: Getting the hull plating to show at this scale. Before that,:To glue or not to glue ... now ripping things up, and adding components, makes it start to look almost like a scratch build ;) a bit of a basratch build :D:D:D  

It starts to cool down - I know Greg: Tain't  'alf 'ot 'ere - so tonight I'll get my rattle can of flat varnish out and give Vendetta and the two Japanese subs a coat. After drying, the subs get a gloss coating on their balast tanks to make them look whet-ish for some realism when I get on a diorama ... I'm visualising palmtrees , a sandy bay, white beaches, tropical drinks ........ and two moored subs ... whats wrong in this picture :huh: 

My shiny sub in the pic with yours.;)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Needs a bar... then the crews will be happy.

I once walked into a bar   "ouch"   it was a metal bar.:P

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

one I got from the Google mini........two guys walked into a bar......you'd have thought the other guy would have noticed it  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

3D printed bollards, and fairleads (on the stern) vs those default on the kit (forcastle deck)

5b41e74264e51_IMG_3734copy.thumb.jpg.cfca1051562a5fc037b0125389b6fd85.jpg5b41e74ea4c6e_IMG_3733copy.thumb.jpg.5b6aa042f65868f2532f285c2a9c012f.jpg

Edited by cog
Forgot to mention what it was about ... bollards, and fairleads

Carl

Thanks Greg. Still a long way to go.

Currently remodelling the forard superstructure, a.o. the bridge. I won't be able to get her all the way into Glowworm, but I'll try to. Rangefinder and  it's control are up ... alternated by some mind blowing PE ... the grill on the funnels, one down, one to go ... although a bit early in the build, I suddenly started to put some antifowling red on the deck ...

Carl

There wll be a slight difference in the forard super,sructure, besides that I'm missing details on the deck. I have to install a range finder and a controler, instead of the radar on Huron, a lot of things I know about but do not have visible  confirmation on. I Mmight mess a few things up ...

Carl

it is odd that in the book from March on destroyers the drawing of the entire Tribal G class is missing whilst I have found nearly all class drawings in it ... the et isn't much better either. some paper models, which I use as reference, reluctantly as you will understand. 

Carl

Todays harvest:
Shortened the bridge by 1cm / 2/5"you can still see the original size on the deck. The radar will be removed and replaced by a rangefinder and controller. The wings of the deck where the bridge is mounted have been removed as have the boarding. There is a tiny bit left which turns in roundly. I'll have to reinstall the boarding - get some thinner plastic for that, maybe I've got something in my stash. As you can see the aft raised gun deck has been shortened by quite a bit, added some structural beams for the look of it. I'll do the same with the forward overhang. Ordered some more 3D (Greg :) at € 6 shipping ... life's unfair!)

5b426eb88fe9e_IMG_3735copy.thumb.jpg.d9416d87b30c96478233f75f53adcc13.jpg5b426ee315dce_IMG_3738copy.thumb.jpg.9cd5b9feec5a166e819553600c04b9fe.jpg5b426ec723f4b_IMG_3736copy.thumb.jpg.45ec996c3563f498f0b348474c2eee64.jpg5b426ed53648f_IMG_3737copy.thumb.jpg.80fabf77adb040d585a3888e17f480fc.jpg

Edited by cog

Carl

No Lou, the hull is the same, but for the deck furniture. I found a kit for a G class (Eskimo which has the same setup as the Huron) O, by the way the sprues on this kit I'm building have Eskimo stamped on it ... how a bout an Tribal H class destroyer called Eskimo ... !?!?!?!?!?

Carl

18 hours ago, lmagna said:

So make it rice wine!

I have always been cautious about cooking food  so I always thoroughly cook  sushi.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

look'in good Carl......very nice progress  :) 

SHhhhhh,,,,OC.......Japanese chefs are starting to stare

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I actually did that a long time ago.

Went to a sushi restaurant for the first time and knew nothing about the food. In the middle of the table they had a little charcoal fired grill about the same size as a plate. I cooked all the food that came to the table thinking the whole time that it was a waste of money to go to a place where they don't even cook the food for you!

You cant have a Fish Burger raw   "errrrr.........no"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nice work Carl!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm dumb struck by your praise ... paralysed, unable to move ... HMS Glowworm has no camouflage, she is painted like I did HMAS Vendetta - easy on the weathering(?) - I'm still rebuilding structures on her, but I'll might just start on painting the hull, since the deck and superstructures get a whole different colour anyway

Carl

Just did a bit of a Google search for pictures of the Glowworm. There's some good ones at http://navalwarfare.blogspot.com/2009/06/hms-glowworm-h92.html  https://wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?15989 and http://forum.netmarine.net/viewtopic.php?t=3502 (this one's in French, but Google Translate should help if needed - unless you're already fluent, of course. Zut! Alors . . .) and Russian . . https://u-96.livejournal.com/2670604.html with at least one photo the others don't have. Plus these two 

Glow1537photo.JPG  Related image

I hope these help.

Steven