G Class Destroyer by cog - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC - from Tribal Class kit

Thanks Steven, the part I'm most interested in is between focsle and the raised aft gun deck, which seems to be badly visible most/all of the time, or the images are small/tiny. These are actually not to bad!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

wasn't it the Tirpitz ...?

Yes she had twice five tubes, ordered them  already since the kit has only quadruple tubes. Told you it's a fun build ... I get to order additional parts, or make them myself :D:D :D  I, actually, would like a larger picture please, my eyesight is fading - matter of getting older ;) 

Carl

Steven, it is odd, for that first photograph is also shown as the one where she is paid off ... the length of those banners being discussed on the page in the book from March. Have to look that one up. It has something to do with the length of the banner depending on the number of years service or the number of crew members at a certain date.... tid bits ...make the life of a ship unique ...

Carl

Lou, those German battle ships a.o. are to much a like ;) Like all the rest of those foreign ships :D ENough pulling on leggs.

I wonder how accurate information from that eara really is ... I'll just stick to building ... a lot safer!

Carl

I feel the same way, Lou. The ABDA force didn't achieve their aim to stop the Japanese invasion. But they were a scratch force flung together from widely disparate navies with no opportunity to train together or work out a common strategy and tactics - not to mention the language problem! They knew they were outgunned and outclassed, but answered the call with heroism that is hard to contemplate in today's world.

Not forgetting the Jervis Bay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Jervis_Bay

Carl, try doing a google image search on HMS Glowworm - several of the photos that are fairly small in the above links can be found larger and with better detail by doing this.

Steven

PS: Just found another one!

e9fc6a3c6888f4fcc69383edb092a230.jpg

and links to higher definition photos  - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cb/1c/70/cb1c700a04541ee2356ef9efa0c5439a.jpg  and https://i.pinimg.com/originals/48/84/69/4884695873e57a0ef98a10aaa8697b78.jpg .

Edited by Louie da fly

Thanks Steven, I've been doing that for over two weeks. I have to admit, Facebook, and a number of other social sites are blocked on my systems which leaves out a number of results. Oddly enough I do not get any Russian results ... maybe I should get my VPN started in Russia, although I wonder if I get anything if I do not use the cyrilic alphabet ...

So far the mid section stays somewhat of a mistery. I know from descriptions that she had two sets of five torpedo tubes, quad vicker machineguns on the centre ile (between the funnels), and a search light between the torpedo tubes. No radar, but a range finder and controller, a shorter rear raised gun platform, two paravanes on the rear deck, as well as depth charges, 4x 4.7" single guns, two tripod masts, tall versions, and that's pretty much it, thus I'm not far off to get things roling. We'll get there in the end, as long as Greg doesn't start pushing, and squealing ;) 

Carl

Carl,

It looks like you replied while I was in the middle of editing my post above to add another photo and two links, which I hope are of help.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

the rafts I've seen before, they are tied down on the vickers ile between the funnels Since nearly all images I've seen are without the coloured stripes on nr x? gun, I'll keep it plain. Dinner time!

Carl

Yesterday evening I've been working on the forward mast, of which the tripod and upper mast are done. In some pictures I saw a single stepped mast, however in the description of her the forward mast is refered to as a tripod. Question is at what point in time did they change and from what to what ... I got another book(let) on British WWII destroyers, but unfortunately just one picture, the one with all the smoke after she ramed the Hipper, which is hardly useful as reference material.

I still need to add some rungs, and the yards to finish it. As far as I could work it out from the different pictures - took me long enough - the lower yard arm is approximately the width of the bridge, including it's wings, the top one 2/3 of the bottom one. Pictures when ready - maybe tonight if I get lucky, work is interfering.

Couldn't get my head into painting so, I'm working on HMCS Huron's hull as well. Drilled out all 172 port holes, straightening the bow, and making the point where the bow transfers into the keel sharp angled, instead of the smooth curvature the manufacturer thought it to be. I'll have some putty to add to give the bow her smooth flowing finish back.

Edited by cog

Carl

Lou, to my chagrin I'd never heard of the Beaverford, which seems to me had even more to do with saving the convoy than the Jervis Bay, (noble though her sacrifice was). I looked Beaverford up and was astounded at her achievement - for an unarmoured merchant vessel to hold off a pocket battleship for 5 hours, with only a 3'' and a 4" gun. Amazing and incredibly courageous. And it's shameful they were never given official recognition.

Steven

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I think the battle between the Beaverford and the Hipper is unique even among unusual and hopeless engagements.

I think any battle between two units, be that single or multiple, where an underdog takes up against a far superior opponent is unique. It is the fact that a limited group of men are willing to give their life, if need be, for their  convictions, and do not waver from that fact because of mere superiority from the opponenet. It is like the biblical David & Goliath. Each encounter is unique and is not less so than other encounters.

Carl

28 minutes ago, cog said:

Todays harvest, a bit of CA-ing bling ... (replaced the IJN watertight doors with RN type)

IMG_3746 copy.jpg

IMG_3743 copy.jpg

Did you have to attach those tinyyyyy ladders up the mast?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

29 minutes ago, cog said:

Where :o ... nope, those are pipes mate, those funnel gards are worse ... a lot if you do not hav a steady hand

On the masts themselves, they look like ladders, my warspite has them as part of the pontos pe parts.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

22 minutes ago, cog said:

on the tripod ... those are ladders, from a "spare" PE set of Musashi, if I'm not mistaken ... a lot more where that came from

Looking good,   I wouldn't have fancied climbing those ladders.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking good,   I wouldn't have fancied climbing those ladders.

OC.

Should anyone ... especially in a gale ... but those ladders are not so much different than the ratlines on a 74, I wouldn't fancy climbing those either, and to be honest, the forard mast will be a single "pipe" (the only way I have seen it depicted in photographs, so no tripod) ... and to help you up for maintenance, OC, with a ladder, which I for one certainly wouldn't climb!

Edited by cog

Carl

After today's toiling ...

replacement of gun platform

5b4a40e941094_IMG_3748copy.thumb.jpg.37152b985821ef638a3916801e499cfe.jpg

forard superstructure

5b4a410b18e9e_IMG_3750copy.thumb.jpg.80cb7c5f80a6ea321027d3c2fba1593c.jpg5b4a40d5e4f4d_IMG_3747copy.thumb.jpg.36c5d079bd89061e565b423016ad90ae.jpg5b4a40fa36068_IMG_3749copy.thumb.jpg.221b1f3449c1a57d1f980f589f585369.jpg

Oh, darn. Again ... no paintball for downunder ... just boaring scratch building, and updates, sorry RGL, you'll have to wait a bit longer ... so much to do, so little time to do it in. ... tomorrow ... work ... maybe not as usual, although it starts to feel like it !

Edited by cog

Carl

All the white is scratch build. The machine gun platform (what you call the tubs) is all scratch, as I couldn't make it from the existing one. I'll use the latter on the HMCS Huron. On the bridge there is still the radar to remove, and replace with the range finder and controller which I recieved last Thursday :)

This evenings play result ...

For Lou: Vicky and her tubbbbb

5b4a636555dc7_IMG_3753copy.thumb.jpg.260f381ca296bb8dbcd5956f79bc2480.jpg5b4a6385aaff1_IMG_3756copy.thumb.jpg.d70bb5d86e2a859da1de041ba8d40ad2.jpg

Bow-morfosis (nearly there ...

5b4a637550714_IMG_3754copy.thumb.jpg.2563a40712900c999a7aac3e4efd251d.jpg710x528_19858212_11468778_1502409933.jpg.f10f3501ddf35755c152da0af8adec3d.jpg

(rangefinder and controller copyright Shapeways)

Carl

Sharp tidy work mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Impressive. At that scale I would have been tempted to just cut of all the stuff on the kit piece and altered it.

If you were building a "real" ship like the New Jersey you would really know why they were called tubs:

t1yan3k3kibfowdh6jgb.thumb.jpg.f81263cf9614405e4bf73cc7bf5c6583.jpg

Those Navy guys really knew how to make Vietnam enjoyable!

That is  service recreation time in extreme  makes me want to join up now.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks for the likes and comments

Girls on the right, boys on the left ... Nah, I'll pass OC. Dive in the tub with a bunch of blokes :wacko: that's not the way my cookie crumbles.

Lou, did they have a bar underneath the tent?

Carl

32 minutes ago, cog said:

Thanks for the likes and comments

Girls on the right, boys on the left ... Nah, I'll pass OC. Dive in the tub with a bunch of blokes :wacko: that's not the way my cookie crumbles.

Lou, did they have a bar underneath the tent?

Probably mixed mate  new service rules allowing skinny dipping.:o

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The USN is officially "dry". :(  They gave up shipboard alcohol way back when. Strongest stuff they serve is coffee. That's the start of the reference to coffee as "joe", since the Secretary of the Navy when it took place was a gentleman by the name of Josephus Daniels. I suspect there have been a gazillion workarounds over the years. :rolleyes:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Carl, that was in an era of multiple marches for temperance. And the US did have that Constitutional Amendment (#18) banning alcohol in 1919. We woke up and repealed the 18th with the 21st in 1933. Prohibition of alcohol didn't sit well with most folks.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Canute said:

The USN is officially "dry". :(  They gave up shipboard alcohol way back when. Strongest stuff they serve is coffee. That's the start of the reference to coffee as "joe", since the Secretary of the Navy when it took place was a gentleman by the name of Josephus Daniels. I suspect there have been a gazillion workarounds over the years. :rolleyes:

During or just before WWII.  Eleanor Roosevelt pushed very hard for the ban and succeeded.  Something about drunken sailors and image as I recall.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)