HMS Victory by Patrick Haw - Caldercraft - Scale 1/72

Hi Kevin,

I was thinking the same thing as I re-posted the pictures.  Wow, they all look like disasters as we build them don't they?  But how beautiful they become as we work our way through the mistakes and re-dos.  Just glad we all go through this together

Patrick

Thanks Patrick for re-posting the pictures.....

You make a lot of builders happy ( again ! )

Including me when I have feel the need to build the Victory  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 1 month later...

Patrick:

Just found your build log for my favorite ship, having built her twice (different scales). WOW! What beautiful work sir. You are a very gifted artist indeed.

Pulling up a chair.

I salute you.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been forever since I posted any progress, but I have been plugging away on Victory slowly but surely.  Let's see, what have I been doing?  Figurehead is done and on, catheads were completed but I knocked them off so many times turning this monster around on the work bench that I've set them aside for now. The model now sits on a lazy susan/turntable on a separate table for ease of turning.  Channels and chain plates are done.  Side entry ports and steps are done.  Stern and quarter galleries are finished except for black highlights between the windows which I still need to put on. Rudder is coppered and on.  Poop deck is just about done except I need more ballusters to complete the poop ladders and am waiting for them.  So here's some pictures.  More to come.

Patrick

post-470-0-49744800-1413916418_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-17707400-1413916426_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-28993000-1413916453_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-88832900-1413916464_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-80787100-1413916473_thumb.jpg

I wasn't happy with the way my coppering was looking after wear and tear.  When I first finished the copper I polished it up then hit it with two coats of satin finish clear lacquer.  But the color looked uneven, dirty in places, some discoloration from glue in others.  So today I turned to ship over, masked and taped above the water line and sprayed on two fine coats of copper paint.  I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I'm happy with the result.  All the plates retained their edges and the rivets are clearly visible, and the color is consistent and clean.

Patrick

post-470-0-52223000-1413922891_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-14486400-1413922897_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-21705400-1413923132_thumb.jpg

lovely work, i will be interested to see if there is any reaction wrt the copper tiles/wear and tear- with the lacquers that you had previously put on,

i still have nothing on mine, so i will be watching 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Wow patrick,

We have to wait for a long time for an update and then you have something !!!!!!!

She looks fabulous !

Nice job with the copper paint......

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

Thanks Glenn, David, Sjors and John for you kind words.

David, no reaction at all between the old finish on the copper and the new paint...so far.  They're both oil-based products so should be compatible.

As I mentioned previously, I'm waiting on more balusters so I can complete the poop deck stairs, also waiting on extra belaying pins for the mizzen topsail sheet bits...where did they go?  I think Cornwall Model Boats is having someone row them over here.  I ordered some other bits and pieces from them to justify the shipping cost, but it's been so long I can't remember what I ordered, so it should be a nice surprise when the package gets here.

Working in installing the brass rails now.  My eyes must be getting old, the three different profiles all look the same to me, but I finally got them sorted out I think.

Patrick

• 5 weeks later...

Not a huge amount of progress, but working away on the quarterdeck furnishings.  Carronades installed and rigged, poop deck ladders, railing and buckets installed (bucket handles not rigged yet), cannons under the poop ladders installed and rigged. Touch up painting needed!  I keep going to everyone's logs for instruction and inspiration - Thank you!

Patrick

post-470-0-05915000-1416589291_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-76582600-1416589303_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-03072700-1416589332_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-40360600-1416589344_thumb.jpg

Hi Patrick,

Maybe it's not a huge amount of progress but for sure a great amount of progress  !!!!!

That looks just great.

Very fine job you have done Sir !!!

Sjors

• 1 month later...

Fantastic craftsmanship, She is going to be beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

Philippe,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.  The carronades could be positioned facing forward, as shown in my build, or they could be moved to point to port or starboard through the forward most  bulwark gun ports.  Thank you for your nice comments

Patrick

Hi Patrick.

Can I ask a question about rigging the guns please. I think your idea of the 1mm cord is good,  Did you drill out the "Knobs" on the back of the cannon to take the breech ropes? Your post  #203 talks about a copper ring but I can't make out what you have done,  I was thinking about gluing the rope onto the knob where it runs over the top of the knob and a touch of black paint. Given their location a blind man on a galloping horse would be pleased to see the difference!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2013 at 9:36 PM, Patrick Haw said:

Woo-hoo!  Second planking is finished, well at least as far as I can go at this time.  I think it came out pretty well and I got the look I was after.  Actually I think this was the easiest second planking I've done in any of my models. It's not perfect but that's what paint and copper are for!  Here are some pics before filler and sanding.  I'm about 9 weeks into it and have built a fence in the garden and painted the sun-room during that time, so I'm happy with the progress so far.

Patrick

post-470-0-44276800-1362605479.jpg

post-470-0-52460600-1362605491.jpg

post-470-0-42879000-1362605503.jpg

post-470-0-18566300-1362605513.jpg

post-470-0-14654600-1362605522.jpg

post-470-0-01876600-1362605531.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well it's been about four years since I have touched Victory and she's been wrapped up safely in bubble wrap and plastic the whole time.  I suffered some medical setbacks requiring a few surgeries and afterwards just couldn't seem to get my Victory mo-jo going again and followed a few other pursuits.    For some reason, recently I've been glancing over at the bubble wrapped bundle on the shelf and the unused tools, paints and assorted parts still sitting in the box...and feeling the build desire well...build.

I took the wrappings off her today, and damn, I'm much further along than I remembered...and she's beautiful!  It will take me a while to get the shipyard back together the way I want it and then I can get back to work on her.  I'm jazzed but also a little intimidated by all the skills and lessons I have to re-learn.  Thank goodness I have my fellow Victory builders and their wonderful logs to fall back on!

More to follow!

Cheers

Patrick (I'm baaaaaack!)

Victory204.jpg

Victory200.jpg

Great to see you back at the bench Patrick, with your lovely model. Welcome home!

Thanks for the comments you added to my build log Patrick - your comments are much appreciated.

I've just been reading your build log (can't understand how I managed to miss it before!). Lots of good advice and I gained some important insights into the challenges that lie ahead. Thank you - your log will be a regular port of call and I look forward to following it in the future.

Progress with my own model has also been adversely effected similar health issues over the last couple of years, both my own and the Admiral's, so I think I know where you're coming from.... 

Keep up the good work.

Graham

Great to see you back Patrick  with your beautiful build  - all the best returning to her.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE , yr back

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Looking forward to follow your build Patrick. Beautiful work.

Robert

Edited by Bertu