Patrick Haw

HMS Victory by Patrick Haw - Caldercraft - Scale: 1/72

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, Richardjjs said:

I love the run of the planking
That will make the application of the Copper MUCH easier

Well it's been about four years since I have touched Victory and she's been wrapped up safely in bubble wrap and plastic the whole time.  I suffered some medical setbacks requiring a few surgeries and afterwards just couldn't seem to get my Victory mo-jo going again and followed a few other pursuits.    For some reason, recently I've been glancing over at the bubble wrapped bundle on the shelf and the unused tools, paints and assorted parts still sitting in the box...and feeling the build desire well...build.

I took the wrappings off her today, and damn, I'm much further along than I remembered...and she's beautiful!  It will take me a while to get the shipyard back together the way I want it and then I can get back to work on her.  I'm jazzed but also a little intimidated by all the skills and lessons I have to re-learn.  Thank goodness I have my fellow Victory builders and their wonderful logs to fall back on!

More to follow!

Cheers

Patrick (I'm baaaaaack!)

Victory204.jpg

Victory200.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thank you Dave.  Good to be back.  Now let's see what I can do!  Just looked at your Victory on your blog.  Now that's inspiration!

Patrick

Edited by Patrick Haw

Thanks for the comments you added to my build log Patrick - your comments are much appreciated.

I've just been reading your build log (can't understand how I managed to miss it before!). Lots of good advice and I gained some important insights into the challenges that lie ahead. Thank you - your log will be a regular port of call and I look forward to following it in the future.

Progress with my own model has also been adversely effected similar health issues over the last couple of years, both my own and the Admiral's, so I think I know where you're coming from.... 

Keep up the good work.

Graham

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE , yr back

Kevin!!!!!!  Glad to be back my friend.  Still getting the shipyard in order, the fun bit is ordering new stuff...lighting, tools, fun stuff!  Will post something when I have it!

Posted (edited)

A question, since I've been away for a while...is it possible to reply directly to a post someone makes on my blog?  Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't see a "Reply" button on posts people make on my log.  All I seem able to do is quote the message and respond to that.  

Edited by Patrick Haw

7 hours ago, Patrick Haw said:

A question, since I've been away for a while...is it possible to reply directly to a post someone makes on my blog?  Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't see a "Reply" button on posts people make on my log.  All I seem able to do is quote the message and respond to that.  

only by the quote button as you did with my post, or multiple quotes in one post or private message

Not a huge amount of progress to report.  I've spent some time getting the shipyard back into some sort of shape and am waiting on a shipment from Cornwall Model Boats so I can get on with and complete the quarterdeck...I think CMB must have shipped the stuff in some slab-sided, Dutch-built lugger as it's taking forever!  Someone should invent a flying machine you could put parcels in and send them across the seas!

Spent a lot of time on clean up/repairs of work already done.  It's amazing how stuff un-glues itself sitting in bubble wrap for 3 years!  I did get the stern and quarter galleries done with the panels between the windows and I got the rudder chains installed...so it's some progress!

Patrick

Victorty 5.jpg

Victory 4.jpg

Victory 2.jpg

Not a whole lot of progress, but a little.  I'm scheduled for rotator cuff surgery in a couple of weeks so thrying to get as much outdoor stuff done as I can...before I can't!

I finished the last two quarterdeck canons and started playing around with gun port lids.  I didn't mount the forward-most canon in the cabin, so that one is closed.  So we have a closed one, a half door one, and an open one!

So much to do, but finally my supplies arrived from CMBSo I'm ready to get a move on with the finishing the quarterdeck.  First up is the main companionway which anyone who's gone through my build log will know has been my nemesis!.  Lost ladders, broken pillars, etc.  Hope to have it done in a couple of days!

Patrick

Victory 213.jpg

Victory 212.jpg

This all certainly gives me a standard to aim for :)

Good luck with that surgery sir. That will hold you up for a while I would imagine. Hope all goes well. 

14 hours ago, Wallace said:

Good luck with that surgery sir. That will hold you up for a while I would imagine. Hope all goes well. 

Thank you.  I had the same surgery on the same shoulder a year ago, so I know what lies ahead!  Maybe I can do some off-ship stuff that doesn't need me to move my shoulder too much.  Maybe ship's boats?

Patrick

Posted (edited)

Well I did it!  I finally vanquished the dragon and am now the proud owner of a completed (and sturdy) main companionway.  Put it together, took it apart, put it together again a few times until I'm finally happy with it!  Will try to get the waist ladders and stanchions in before surgery!

For those yet to build the main companionway I'd strongly advise you to build the entire thing off the ship and then install it as a unit as others have done...it'd be a whole lot easier!

Victory 220.jpg

Edited by Patrick Haw

5 hours ago, Patrick Haw said:

For those yet to build the main companionway I'd strongly advise you to build the entire thing off the ship and then install it as a unit as others have done...it'd be a whole lot easier!

Duly noted Patrick. You did a fine job on it. That finish looks great, what did you treat the wood with (and, in case I missed the info earlier in the build, was that the wood supplied with the kit or did you scratch build it)?

9 hours ago, Wallace said:

Duly noted Patrick. You did a fine job on it. That finish looks great, what did you treat the wood with (and, in case I missed the info earlier in the build, was that the wood supplied with the kit or did you scratch build it)?

Thanks Mark,

The wood, stairs, and balusters are supplied with the kit.  You have to build the stairs from the parts supplied.  The railings and hand rails are made from 1.5 mm x 1.5 mm walnut that you need to reduce to 1 mm x 1 mm. The balusters are (I think) 16mm that you need to reduce to 14.75 mm and square the rounded edges.  So basically you have to build the companionway yourself from the wood and balusters supplied in the kit.  I finished it with walnut stain and a coat of clear satin varnish.  A digital caliper is invaluable for measuring and cutting the railings.

My companionway is not the best I've seen but after several attempts at it I'm pleased with the result.

Patrick

Some progress today.  Got the forward waist ladders in place, along with waist stanchions and hand ropes.  The hand ropes will be tightened up once connected to the aft waist ladders.  Close up pictures really show the need for a good dusting and paint touch-up!!

Patrick

Victory 302.jpg

Victory 301.jpg

The Admiral got me a can of "spray air" with a long tube. Haven't used it yet but I am sure it will help get rid of the dust  in those elusive corners. 

Greeting Patrick  

Four years on and still no dam dust !!!!!!! Welcome back. I have only just returned with my Diana. Well there’s not a lot to say is there?? It’s all been said.

Simply Brilliant.  Only one concern, slow down a bit, don’t rush it!!

Best regards DAVID

Hi Mark,

I've got the canned air spray and it works.  Trouble is that after sitting in mothballs for a few years some of that dust takes some shifting!  I use a medium soft paint brush to stir up the ingrained dust and then blow it away!

Patrick

3 minutes ago, Shipyard sid said:

Four years on and still no dam dust !!!!!!!

Oh there's dust David!  We're just four years older and our eyesight isn't as good!  Just found your Diana log and will be following closely.

Best,

Patrick

21 hours ago, Patrick Haw said:

We're just four years older and our eyesight isn't as good!

Now THAT (and the truth of it) had me smiling :)

I got all the waist ladders in and rigged.  Pretty pleased, although some touch up and finishing to do.  I'm happy and feel like I'm closing in on finishing the quarter deck.  Poop ladder hand rails still to finish but I have the wooden hand rails already done so it's just a question of installation.

Victory 306.jpg

Victory 305.jpg