HMS Trincomalee by Ahoy_there (Lin) - scale 1:72

Ok Guys and Gals yet another 9 months have passed since my last post. In that time I have got a new job which took up a lot of my time, so when I was furloughed in March I thought I would start on it again. I'm still working on the figurehead (which is doing my head in) but I decided to move onto the detail on the hull for a while and go back to the figurehead later with a fresh pair of eyes so to speak. I ummed and arrred as to how to do the detail and even whether to do it at all, seeing as it is all very small. Anyway I decided I would do it and this is the result. I've got to paint them to blend them in but thought I'd post progress pics so far. I also had a practise run of fitting the front guns, which I will be painting and I must admit I;m really chuffed at what I've done so far and can't wait to start on the other side. Hope you all like the pics and I'll post more as I do more.

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

Lin,

I have an interest in the Leda class frigates.   To be specific, HMS Shannon.  I have lofted the timbers.  I also lofted USS Chesapeake.  I thought that the pair would be interesting together, as singleton stand alone POF.  I am not into diorama.  Because Leda is a copy of L' Hebe and La Venus is a sister of Hebe, I considered ANCRE Venus and what with the POF supplement I thought that I had my in.  But, for my method, they still whiffed on the plans.  I used the NMM plans for HMS Leda, as beat up as they are.

Which plans did you use to build the hull?

Did you build the hull - POF,  POB,  solid carved?

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hi Lin,

Nice progress you are making.

If you are struggling with carving Then the route previously mentioned by David (aka Shipyard Sid) of using Sculpey isn’t a bad one, I went down that route and the result is below, just a bit of painting to go and it will do. It’s also fairly inexpensive and easy to work.

Gary

DBE1CBFA-D252-43B1-8E6A-ADECE1DDF83F.thumb.jpeg.d0f76ad835ed01a3d67fd7fc445c4048.jpeg

19 hours ago, Jaager said:

Lin,

I have an interest in the Leda class frigates.   To be specific, HMS Shannon.  I have lofted the timbers.  I also lofted USS Chesapeake.  I thought that the pair would be interesting together, as singleton stand alone POF.  I am not into diorama.  Because Leda is a copy of L' Hebe and La Venus is a sister of Hebe, I considered ANCRE Venus and what with the POF supplement I thought that I had my in.  But, for my method, they still whiffed on the plans.  I used the NMM plans for HMS Leda, as beat up as they are.

Which plans did you use to build the hull?

Did you build the hull - POF,  POB,  solid carved?

I don't have any plans for it at all. I've built a couple of wooden model kits and used those plans to help me but I researched the shape and the rest is from photos that I've taken and got from the internet. It's a plank on frame 😊

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hi Lin,

Nice progress you are making.

If you are struggling with carving Then the route previously mentioned by David (aka Shipyard Sid) of using Sculpey isn’t a bad one, I went down that route and the result is below, just a bit of painting to go and it will do. It’s also fairly inexpensive and easy to work.

Gary

DBE1CBFA-D252-43B1-8E6A-ADECE1DDF83F.thumb.jpeg.d0f76ad835ed01a3d67fd7fc445c4048.jpeg

I've done the head and body which I carved from scratch. It's the waistband and swirls that I'm having trouble with. I will try sculpey though...I'm just procrastinating really 😅

You might try tissue paper - the stuff used to wrap pretentious gifts - or rag bond paper for thick - to simulate cloth.  PVA will bond it and shellac will fill the pores and take any paint.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so more pics as promised. I finished putting on all the extra little bits on the sides and also finished the scuppers. I couldn't wait to see what they looked like painted and I must say they look rather good. I then decided to get the guns ready (still procrastinating about the figurehead at this time ?😉) . Rubbed them down sprayed them with grey prime then with matt black spray paint. Once they were dry, it had to be done, I had to see what they'd look like in situ. Again well chuffed with the outcome. Moving on to the chains on the rear gun ports that were closed. I looked for a chain that was small enough but couldn't find anything so, again because they're so small I thought I'd adapt...I know what you're all going to say that it's wrong but it's all I could do whilst in lockdown, however I think now I've painted them they look good as well 😄

105.jpg

104.jpg

106.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

111a.jpg

Looks good. I don't think your wrong on using what you used for the port chains. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So the other day I bit the bullet and started finishing the figurehead. Again it might not be perfect but it's about 4mm big and difficult to handle and I've lost count of the amount of times I dropped the pieces on the floor and yelled 'DON'T MOVE' to my other half while I scanned the floor to find whatever I'd dropped, and the expletives that he's heard made him chuckle. So here it is...at long last finished and painted. I also decided to stick the decorative window pieces on as well to see the finished effect...looking good so far 😄

112a.jpg

112b.jpg

113.jpg

115.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

132.jpg

That figurehead came out really well,  great work ! You've more patience than me with the small fiddly stuff. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

A lovely figurehead that I'm sure the Captain will be proud to have the bow.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A nice bit of carving on that figurehead, Lin. Welcome to the ranks of (small scale) woodcarvers!

Steven

• 2 years later...

Hi guys n gals 

Can't believe it's been soooo long since I posted on here. Yes I'm still building the Trincomalee but a lot has happened between then and now. The pandemic, redesigning the back garden, donating a kidney to my other half and doing a commission build of a viking ship. Anyway I'm back on it and raring to go. The last thing I posted was about the figurehead, since then I've done the grating on deck (which took an age and was very monotonous) put the cannons in and now slowly adding bits to the hull.

20230115_114032[1].jpg

20230110_140539[1].jpg

20230110_140532[1].jpg

20230110_140546[1].jpg

Welcome back home,  Hopefully everything calms down for all us.   Your model is looking great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 months later...

Well another few months have whizzed past in the blink of my eye and I've still been busy with other things, however I'm excited about my trip up to see HMS Trincomalee this weekend. I'm very sure that once I've seen her and walked her decks and taken a whole load more pics for reference I will be buzzing with enthusiasm and raring to get back doing her.

Hi Lin,

You’ll find she has had a facelift, well, a new coat of paint at least!  There are also a few artefacts from the wreck of the Invincible to look at.

I was on board a few weeks ago and due to the weather struggled to get a photo without a plastic bucket in it, I guess the upper deck needs re-caulking.

Enjoy your trip.

Gary

On 5/10/2023 at 10:42 PM, Morgan said:

Hi Lin,

You’ll find she has had a facelift, well, a new coat of paint at least!  There are also a few artefacts from the wreck of the Invincible to look at.

I was on board a few weeks ago and due to the weather struggled to get a photo without a plastic bucket in it, I guess the upper deck needs re-caulking.

Enjoy your trip.

Gary

It'll be interesting to see the change. Last time I went I couldn't get near her bow because they had cordoned it off for restoration I think. So looking forward to walking the whole length of her.

WOW!!!! what a weekend I've had 😊. Travelled to Hartlepool Saturday morning but knew I wouldn't be able to get to see her that day, booked into the hotel and the room was opposite her, I was well pleased. Sunday was at the museum by 10am when they opened and the reference pics started. I've taken from every conceivable angle, zoomed in and out, even taken video so I covered everything. Didn't really want to leave after, my hubby had said that she wasn't actually floating and that there were cradles underneath her, I'd said she was floating so he asked a guide and was surprised when he said yes she was floating, so he learnt something new as well. Anyway, now I've been to see her again and got more pics I've raring to get back to building, after I've caught up with the washing and ironing 😂 ☺️