HMS Serapis by Casper1961 - Aeropiccola - 1/60 scale

Hi Steve,

I was looking to your pictures and I discovered some small differences between your kit and mine (i.e. the capstan preformed piece)

May be your kit is a little bit more recent. It means that it is not impossible that yours foressee a second planking.

Anyway, in my kit I didn't receive the wood for.

Another idea. On my log, I start detailling some "errors" contained in the kit. Some are not very important, but others are.

If it is still possible, I advise you to cut the closed bulwark that never existed. In the same idea, you should not install the ten 9 pdrs guns on the quarter deck.

At the limit, you place there two or four carronades.

It's just an advise.... up to you to decide, of course.

Pierre

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I'm dropping in for a cup of coffee to keep you friendly ( before you started D-Day!)

That's a nice kit you've got there.

Looks good to me.

And you are right about the wood.

It can not warp anymore….

Maybe we have to do it all, let the kit waits for 20 years…...

So let's see, 1 kit each year, then we have 20 kits when we started at the first one..

Average of 1 year of building at the kit.

So it keep us occupied for 40 years…...

Wow, that looks fine  :D

From time to time I'll bring you a vista.

And you know it, I love pictures!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

• 1 month later...

Hey Sherry

Unfortunately no progress on the Serapis....I have a couple park benches to refinish for someone, and just bought a motorcycle. It's been a couple years since I last road so spending free time getting reacquainted as I would like to use it most days for the drive in to work while and when the weather permits. 

Once the park benches are out to the way, I plan to get back at it! I have one almost done, just need to sand the first coat and apply the 2nd coat of varnish. All the work is in the back yard and the weather has not been co-operating! LOL

Thanks for asking...BTW nice gunports! LOL and big fingers! 

Built:

Charles W. Morgan - Artesania Latina  1/50

Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Scratch  1/24

RCMP 40' Trawler - Scratch  1/24

Flower Class Corvette - Matchbox/Revell 1/72

Current:

HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60

Future:

NEW! Just Added: Friesland - Mamoli  1/75

San Felipe - Mantua/Panart  1/75

BonHomme Richard - Aeropiccola  1/50

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

HMS Victory - Mamoli  1/90

HMS Unicorn - Corel  1/75

• 5 months later...

Hi All

I just wanted to let you all know the fleet just grew by 1....No I didn't have a baby! Well not unless you call Mamoli's Friesland my new baby? 

So add this to the to-do list, not sure where in the pecking order but I am sure I will enjoy building her!

Well, deer season is over for me for another year, the deer win again! Blast! Time to get back to the hobby table (kitchen table actually) and get back to work on the Serapis...

More to come over the Christmas break...no miracles here but I do plan on doing some more work on the gunports etc.

Cheers 

Built:

Charles W. Morgan - Artesania Latina  1/50

Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Scratch  1/24

RCMP 40' Trawler - Scratch  1/24

Flower Class Corvette - Matchbox/Revell 1/72

Current:

HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60

Future:

NEW! Just Added: Friesland - Mamoli  1/75

San Felipe - Mantua/Panart  1/75

BonHomme Richard - Aeropiccola  1/50

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

HMS Victory - Mamoli  1/90

HMS Unicorn - Corel  1/75

• 8 years later...

So interesting indeed. I have the original first edition kit still in her box! No one in my area is able to provide me with a proper value and appraisal companies want you to send it off to them....not gonna happen! Anyone out there have an idea if values from the original manufacturer? Late 50s early 60s.

Reply.  warrenbpister@gmail.com

• 9 months later...

32 years ago I bought an Aeropiccola Serapis construction kit.  I also bought Bounty.  Because of work, everything went into hibernation for a "moment".  Now 30 years later, the project started again.  Bounty will be ready soon.  Then I will start building Serapis.  The instructions are what they are.  Not the good ones.  All parts must be cut out of the plywood yourself.  Today, series are easier to make.

Pertsa

Welcome to MSW.    Please post a little intro about yourself in the new members forum here at MSW.   Hope you will start a build log as it will be interesting to see an older kit assembled and how the parts compare with the kits of today.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU