probablynot

Spirit of Mississippi by probablynot - OcCre - Scale 1:80 - Southern US States riverboat.

Looking good Brian.

Ropes should work just fine for the hand rails. However, if you wanted a brass rail you could tightly wrap your brass around an appropriate sized dowel and then spread it apart to form your helix. Then its just a "simple" matter of soldering to your balusters and newel posts.

Either way you always do a great job.

Sam

Apologies, guys!  I've been meaning to respond to your kind enquiries and comments, but if there's one thing I'm good at, it's procrastination!
No more progress yet, I'm afraid.  Can't blame bad health this time - the warmer, drier spring weather helps to keep the gout/arthritis symptoms at bay.  No, it's all because I've been committing myself to do all sorts of other things recently.  The Spirit of Mississippi is still there in the workshop, waiting for me to get on with it.  And I wlll, I will ...

You will, you will, BUT not now ... as long as you come back and show us sign of life, and eventually continue, it's fine. Enjoy what you are doing. You should have fun

Cheers

Thanks for that, Sam!  And you Carl!
What a fine community the Model Ship World is!
But ...  I have a confession to make.

Every day for the last several months I've been telling myself yes, I'll get out to the workshop and do something about my 'Spirit of Mississippi'.  And every day I've done nothing of the sort.
Why not, I wondered.
At first I just assumed it was the cold winter weather keeping me away from a chilly workshop.  Maybe that had something to do with it, at first, but as time went on I knew there were other factors involved.  And gradually I started to see them.  May came, and the cold weather went away, but there was no renewal of the enthusiasm.  I'd got myself involved in different pastimes.  Interests that I could indulge alongside my lovely wife who sits there, looking beautiful, doing her cross-stitching, while my new (and outrageously expensive) sewing machine clatters busily away knocking out ever more quilts and cushion covers!

I was thinking I must have a short attention span.  And yet no, it's not quite that.

My interest in model boats began in 2012, when I was reminiscing about the kayak I'd built shortly after WW2.  The urge arose to replicate it with a 1" to 1ft scale model, but I had no expertise.  So I decided to start with a kit build - Artesania Latina's Mare Nostrum.  I build that, then I built my kayak, and the Enterprise, and the Half Moon, and ... well a few.  Meanwhile I was buying up Proxxon tools as if the world was coming to an end.
(The world IS coming to an end.  But that's another story...)

Now for a flashback.
45 years ago we signed up our 11yo eldest daughter for ballet lessons.  She did them - and seemed to enjoy them - for well over 2 years.  Tutor said she was her star pupil.  We were even wondering if we might have to try and get her into Ballet Rambert, or even the Royal Ballet.  But then she said she didn't want to do it any more.
Why?  Well (she said) she'd tried it, and she'd proved to herself that she could do it, so she had no need to do it any more.
And that was that.  She went on to other things.

I think that's where I am.
I've shown myself that I can build model ships.  I'm competent.  I know I could do a hell of a lot better if I really persisted, but I don't actually need to do it.  It wouldn't prove anything that I didn't already know in my own heart.  There's no imperative, in my head or my heart, to go on any more.

It's been a real struggle, getting myself to acknowledge that's where I am.  But now it's staring me in the face, and I have to accept it.

A couple of weeks ago I sold my Proxxon table saw (incidentally, for more than I paid for it NEW, even allowing for ebay and paypal fees!).  Other Proxxons will follow.  And if the Grim Reaper gives me the time, my workshop will in due course become a sewing room, with a £10,000, 10ft long quilting machine standing where the equivalent value of woodworking tools now reside!

But...
I shall not forget the Model Ship World, nor any of the wonderful friends here who have accompanied me while I went through this vital, fascinating, absorbing, ESSENTIAL part of my life!  I'll keep my membership here, and look in from time to time.  Maybe I'll even write some comments sometimes!

Thank you everyone.  The last few years would have been so much poorer without you!

190214ar.JPG

190914br.JPG

190904ar.JPG

Lovely examples, Brian. I very much know what you mean, people's interests do evolve. I never thought I'd lose interest in model railroading, something I'd done most of my life, but it finally happened when I discovered wooden nautical modelling. Can't promise that won't go by the wayside someday either. I'm the kind of person that loves trying and learning new things but rarely sticks with them to mastery; I'd rather know (and do) a little about a lot of things than be an utter master of one thing. It's good to be honest with yourself, and ultimately all hobbies are about making ourselves happy, so best wishes for your next round of fun and thanks for sharing the time here with us.

So true Eric.

Brian,

At some time one needs to do what one likes best, and gives real satisfaction. I can't bring anything up against your writing, but for saying it will be a pitty not to have a "current" evolving build from you. I have enjoyed them all, and hope to see your comments in the many build logs which trigger your interest. I will certainly keep in touch. By the way, I do love the quilts you make.

Enjoy what you do, and take care,

See you around MSW

I understand your position completely. We all have to follow our interests and what brings us happiness. I will miss your build but, I also wish you all the best with your quilting. I have few friends who love doing that very thing, one of which will be helping me sew sails in the near future, and from your pictures, it looks like something you already enjoy. Best wishes to you! :)

Brian, I also understand. It is wonderful when we find the things that bring us passion and also have the courage to recognize that sometimes that means letting go of other things.  All the best!  Scott 

Brian,

I understand completely, I have gone through several hobbies myself. Just follow your passion, they are hobbies after all.

Great examples of your sewing skills. The last one, is that in progress?? I like it as is, it leaves something to the imagination.

Sam