Reale De France by fmodajr - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:60

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

It's been a while since my last post.

I flipped the model back over and placed it back on the stand.

When I saw the slots I made (from underneath) from the topside, I saw that I needed to spend some time straightening them out, cleaning them up,  and removing the edge burrs from the filing. then I painted the slots and the planking the red that I have been using.

264Reale.thumb.JPG.190c872787b8e6a1d599a5c06e9ba615.JPG

265Reale.thumb.JPG.278ba2367b2ff7ff6e7ceb305813be19.JPG

So, the next step the Corel plans called for was to insert 63 strip pieces of .6 mm thick by 4 mm wide wood in-between the supports, in front of the slots. The plan called these pieces "Waterways". I wasn't sure (and still not sure) what function these pieces served. I checked the La Fleur de Lis plans I had and could not find them drawn.

Photo of pieces

266Reale.thumb.JPG.e9d5440230a353ed712288b50e61cf97.JPG

Other Reale de France logs mentioned that these "waterways" might have been added to the plans to hide the joint where the decking butted up against the outer hull planking, as you can see in the photo below with the arrows.

267Reale.thumb.JPG.05d29794ffae6acb276713a315ddd961.JPG

Anyway, I decided to insert them. Most of them will be hidden when the deck is built up with upper platforms.

Fitting the waterways

268Reale.thumb.JPG.15645cf0836425725177c02fe66e66ac.JPG

Painting

269Reale.thumb.JPG.496c6e4c890bc9e92cfcf0c6a72e1abc.JPG

Glueing in place

270Reale.thumb.JPG.5da3819745a16dd3111249fb0fe8c6e1.JPG

Views of installed waterways

271Reale.thumb.JPG.c6be0e2bf855d9f4dc8bbaf71f818a86.JPG

272Reale.thumb.JPG.dab76ac2736cb32d062a83929c81103e.JPG

Han Solo inspecting my work.

Not sure if he is happy with the results!

273Reale.thumb.JPG.367abb5f64cd323070cf2adf90d92faf.JPG

Glad that is over with.

I am looking forward to now working on the upper deck structure and benches etc.

Thanks for visiting,

Frank

👍👍!!

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you for the previous "Likes" !!!

I have had to slow down my time spent on the model the last couple of months, due to caring for elderly parents, but I am still enjoying working on this model very much. 

I have installed and painted the 2 beams that will support the benches for the oarsmen.

274Reale.thumb.jpeg.fe7627bbf7903b68bc4d95e146469911.jpeg

There are 2 angled supports that will support the main cannon carriage and 4 deck knee supports that are installed around where the main mast will go.

Cannon carriage Supports

275Reale.thumb.jpeg.06fa543570aae44e0fa81e2b4153450d.jpeg

Glued print and cutout

276Reale.thumb.jpeg.8d25fbcf0435fbf783349cbfa49c3f1c.jpeg

Before I install those carriage supports, I installed some more deck planking in a section of the center that will remain open.

Decking installed, stained, and sealed

277Reale.thumb.jpeg.7da34ef3c100c7dcbc3b2936c0a70003.jpeg

Carriage Supports painted and installed each side

278Reale.thumb.jpeg.726a54dde04f749163b895522441638c.jpeg

279Reale.thumb.jpeg.37c4ab19a51ae160bb0ae8c9ba14ebbe.jpeg

Support knees around the main mast area installed

280Reale.thumb.jpeg.d01ac80ab651e2b75ebb781b4f0d0fd3.jpeg

Early on the build, I installed the tree nails around the knee supports

281Reale.thumb.jpeg.9610ec9126330e6c11a0d8f589da5fe0.jpeg

Decided to make the benches out of walnut.

Walnut ground to correct thickness and width

282Reale.thumb.jpeg.af23d0be6f1cebd4a1dc51fb2e5d91c2.jpeg

283Reale.thumb.jpeg.1c5ad1f5f15b7e19cd553dc9cb4a0676.jpeg

After I dry fit each bench, I will put a radius on the corners (Round edges), then put a clear sealer on the wood and then install.

284Reale.thumb.jpeg.4ab4c94fdedf71fbbc364e22ad247b2e.jpeg

Thanks for visiting!

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of French Ships and your build shows why.  I am currently starting a Aeropiccola INDISCRET Xebec and have not had a great deal of time to work on.  I am hoping the wify will get my hints for a Dusek Le Reale.  Looking forward to more of this tutorial on how to build this vessel.

Rick 

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

12 hours ago, RickyGene said:

I am a fan of French Ships and your build shows why.  I am currently starting a Aeropiccola INDISCRET Xebec and have not had a great deal of time to work on.  I am hoping the wify will get my hints for a Dusek Le Reale.  Looking forward to more of this tutorial on how to build this vessel.

Rick 

Hi Rick,

Thanks for visiting. 

I have built the Aeropiccola Xebec and it was a lot of fun to do!

Yes, I am having fun with this Reale build, more so because it is different from any of my past builds.

I am learning as I go!

I will be posting my latest updates soon,

Thanks again,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Continuing work on the benches.

First I rounded the edges of all the benches and then did a trial fit of each bench location

285Reale.thumb.jpeg.5137a693cc8acd33d942e90cfba05d0b.jpeg

After the trial fit, I sealed the benches with 2 coats of satin polyurethane.

I also made a small jig to make sure each bench was attached at the correct angle.

286Reale.thumb.jpeg.0bc935fc59751faf6eccec45e88e2435.jpeg

After attaching all the benches, I made a bunch of what are called "pillars" or supports for an upper platform.

I made them a little wider than the rectangle that was called for, so that I could cut the same angle on one end as the bench angle.

I did this so the pillars could be glued to the side of the benches, making the adhesion stronger.

Painted pillars

287Reale.thumb.jpeg.5872fecb2590288ca79d7dacfe394ef2.jpeg

View of angled end of pillars. Tops not painted for better adhesion to upper platform

288Reale.thumb.jpeg.82e52319334ad2a7220799e815cbb161.jpeg

All "Pillars" installed

289Reale.thumb.jpeg.7ebe4fae9a89adbe0af13a7e42d1d4ce.jpeg

Next, I cut, shaped and painted 69 footboards to be added to the benches

290Reale.thumb.jpeg.65a094ae7edac5e96f412118d7985982.jpeg

The footboards are only 2 MM wide and half of the footboard is to overhang the benches. So only 1 MM of the footboard is to be attached to the bench.

In order to accomplish this, I took a spare bench and reduced the width by 1MM. As shown in the next photo, I used this reduced bench as a jig to lay the footboards on the benches the correct 1 MM.

291Reale.thumb.jpeg.28af0536394ed045a9274154382ac5b4.jpeg

Footboards all installed.

The footboard are supposed to be installed over the hatches, as shown in the next 2 photos.

So, they must have been removable when loading cargo. (I am assuming!!)

292Reale.thumb.jpeg.6daf0ad9347b2a99192764af97679ab8.jpeg

293Reale.thumb.jpeg.64692bfa05ec8945b1b8efa7be1d055c.jpeg

Footboards all installed

294Reale.thumb.jpeg.47b6024b66b71d9499cea3da29a4cc45.jpeg

As always, thanks for visiting and for the many "Likes"

Frank

Frank,

Really superb project. Your attention to details are very noticeable indeed. Nice change from our "typical" logs makes this build even more interesting as well.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hello Frank,
you are doing really well (and you are also right to check the developments on the monograph of the "fleur de lis")
the "long ships" have a special charm, impossible not to be captivated, when you have finished the Real, I will give you information and indications on monographs of the Venetian galleys, (which, with all due respect they were more evolved than the French galleys)
however you are very good, 😊

black Wolf

Lupo nero

finished models  Carrack Santa Maria by luponero - scale 1/50 - diagrams of Adametz   

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19739-carrack-santa-maria-by-luponero-scale-150-diagrams-of-adametz-finished/

models under construction Athenian triere of the 5th century B.C  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25956-athenian-triere-of-the-5th-century-bc/ 

San Giovanni Battista 1598 by luponero - Medicean galleon  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25930-san-giovanni-battista-1598-by-luponero-medicean-galleon/                                           

5 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Frank,

Really superb project. Your attention to details are very noticeable indeed. Nice change from our "typical" logs makes this build even more interesting as well.

Regards,

Thank you Michael! It is a fun build. I wish you were building this model at the same time like the good old days when we were both working on the Vasa! LOL!

As you know, my father passed last week, so I will be taking a 3 week break from the build in order to help my mom get settled.

The next step in the build is to work on the forward gun decks!!

Frank

3 hours ago, luponero said:

Hello Frank,
you are doing really well (and you are also right to check the developments on the monograph of the "fleur de lis")
the "long ships" have a special charm, impossible not to be captivated, when you have finished the Real, I will give you information and indications on monographs of the Venetian galleys, (which, with all due respect they were more evolved than the French galleys)
however you are very good, 😊

black Wolf

Ciao Fabio,

Good to hear from you!

So, you are saying that the Italians built better ships than the French, correct?  LOL!!!

Kidding aside, thank you for checking in and for your encouragement!

Frank

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad.  We lost my mom 3 1/2 years ago, and my father has long out-lived anyone from his side of the family.  Nevertheless, at 85, he soldiers on and we are lucky to still have him.  I wish you healing and fond memories as your family grieves his loss.

The model looks spectacular, by the way.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

2 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad.  We lost my mom 3 1/2 years ago, and my father has long out-lived anyone from his side of the family.  Nevertheless, at 85, he soldiers on and we are lucky to still have him.  I wish you healing and fond memories as your family grieves his loss.

The model looks spectacular, by the way.

Thank you Hubac and Mark.

It's been a tough summer, but the goal now is to take care of my mom. Make sure she is safe and happy! Dad will be missed. Working on my build has been a nice stress reliever and distraction for me this past summer.

Thank you both for your kind words!

Frank

Frank,

Sorry to hear about your Dad.  You have my sincere condolences.

The model looks awesome!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

My deepest condolences for your father's disappearance

Fabio

Lupo nero

finished models  Carrack Santa Maria by luponero - scale 1/50 - diagrams of Adametz   

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19739-carrack-santa-maria-by-luponero-scale-150-diagrams-of-adametz-finished/

models under construction Athenian triere of the 5th century B.C  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25956-athenian-triere-of-the-5th-century-bc/ 

San Giovanni Battista 1598 by luponero - Medicean galleon  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25930-san-giovanni-battista-1598-by-luponero-medicean-galleon/                                           

Sincere condolences, I am sorry to hear this news.

Otherwise, very glad to have found this log. An exceptional work. One detail; the personal 'device' -- the red fabric 'flags' of the kit looks wrong to me. The ship was a private vessel that iirc flew the Holy League (distinctive blue with Jesus' crucufixion detail) colours like this:

Best regards,

1280px-Museo_Marítim_de_Barcelona_Real_17-05-2009_13-09-59.jpeg

Edited by Nikiforos

3 hours ago, Nikiforos said:

Sincere condolences, I am sorry to hear this news.

Otherwise, very glad to have found this log. An exceptional work. One detail; the personal 'device' -- the red fabric 'flags' of the kit looks wrong to me. The ship was a private vessel that iirc flew the Holy League (distinctive blue with Jesus' crucufixion detail) colours like this:

Best regards,

1280px-Museo_Marítim_de_Barcelona_Real_17-05-2009_13-09-59.jpeg

thank you very much for the information on the flags. It is appreciated.

Do you know where I could get more information on this, or did someone reproduce the Jesus on the Cross flags in the photo? Not sure that I have the skill to make something like this!!!!

Thanks,

Frank

Greetings to you. Please disregard this post, it's only the wrong ship. *cough* See GrandpaPhil's explanation below.

I am sure Dusek has this 'flag' set in his Real. Fourth image from his website. Mr Dusek is one of the nicest fellows out there so perhaps a nice email?

Otherwise here's some images that could be scaled down. I'll try to relocate some more museum images like the original for you today.

1st image ... *sigh* money, money, money...

Lepanto-Advert-2019-800x461.jpg

lareal03_1414425570.jpg

Of course, I could be wrong but the Osmanoglu navy flew red pennants, solid red in some cases (like Morroco, Oman etc), so red for the holy League might have been a bit confusing at a distance. However, there's nothing to contradict those colours being incorrect away from the Lepanto fight.

Edited by Nikiforos

Sorry for this, the La Reale of 1690 and the the La Real of the Holy League (and is from 1570) were two different vessels from two different nations, which is why the flags and the color schemes are different.

They are extremely similar and easily confused.  I really like both ships and want both of them in my collection.

The Corel kit is the ship from 1690 and the Dusek kit is the ship from 1570.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Don’t feel bad.  I made the exact same mistake, which is why I know the difference.

At Cornwall Model Boats, the Corel kit is £540 and the Dusek kit is £354.

I bought the AAMM plans for La Reale of 1690.  It will be a future build.  I need to get better at carving.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

I'm a flag nut but rather new to boats and ships, clearly. The Holy League device triggered something off, like Pavlov's dogs. Wrong century, o my... That's embarrassing. 

So far more than £500 -but museum pieces can be built from them, so it's not an unreasonable base cost.

I really do appreciate the correction, GrandpaPhil. Silly errors like this must be called out when they occur.

Nika the Contrite.