Hi all, 

When I log into MSW throughout the day, I notice that, as well as our members, there are also quite a few 'guests' viewing the site. It's great news that so many people want to read through our forums for answers to their problems etc, but now its time to see if we can get some of our guests to become members. 

You don't need to have completed a ship, or even to have built one, to become a member of MSW. There are many people who have frequented this forum, and asked questions about starting-out as a model shipwright....and we are very pleased to be able to help them. A lot of those people will now have completed a model and been bitten by the bug. 

Whether you are just inquiring about what you should build as a first model, or 2nd model or 3rd model etc, or whether you are a seasoned builder who just enjoys our forums.....please, become a member and say hello to us all. Write a small introduction about yourself and we will all be only too glad to answer and welcome you on board. 

MSW is a community whose membership is increasing every day. Lets get some of you 'lurkers' out of the shadows and into our ranks so that you may properly benefit from our happy modeler family!   

GO AND REGISTER...it's free, and you KNOW it makes sense!!!

absolutely!   I've been a member since 2009,  and I've learned so much.   the folks here are very talented and friendly.  becoming a member will allow you to chat with fellow modelers and go more in depth,  in furthering your knowledge base.   to put it mildly........if you didn't find the answer your looking for,  it's because your not a member,  and unable to ask that all important question.  best of all,  there's no special handshake,  no tattoo markings,  and no password {there is,  but you get to pick that out yourself ;) } 

20 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

absolutely!   I've been a member since 2009,  and I've learned so much.   the folks here are very talented and friendly.  becoming a member will allow you to chat with fellow modelers and go more in depth,  in furthering your knowledge base.   to put it mildly........if you didn't find the answer your looking for,  it's because your not a member,  and unable to ask that all important question.  best of all,  there's no special handshake,  no tattoo markings,  and no password {there is,  but you get to pick that out yourself ;) } 

What you mean by "No Tattoo" ?

I agree, I have been a member since July 2016 and have learned a lot. This group is very friendly and I enjoy reading the stuff that interests me. I have completed only one beginner model.

I post very rarely. Only then when I have a question or think I have anything useful to contribute.

RussR 

I've only been here a few years as I joined in 2015 but I have 2 completed wooden ship models that perfectly demonstrate the value of this site. The first I did without the knowledge this site even existed. The second I built from day one with a build log on here. Looking at them side by side it is hard to believe that they were built by the same the person. The planking, rigging and general knowledge of the two ships is so vastly improved from the first to the second and I can lay the credit for it with my fellow members on MSW. The sharing of knowledge by friendly folks with out the B.S. of many other forums is second to none. For someone like me, stranded far from most ship modelers, (Kansas is dominated by RC plane guys) this place is like a second home as I am here a lot both for knowledge and the friendships that form in sharing the same interests.

If I did not become a member here. Then I would never have finished my Vasa.
I had never dared to start a wooden model ship in scratch.

And,
I learned to read and write some English here (probably with spelling mistakes :o

On the other hand, might it be that all those "lurkers" are building pirated Chinese and Russian kits and have the good sense to keep their heads down? :D 

On occasion, I will "lurk" in other ship modeling sites, those who condone pirated models... you all know which ones I'm talking about... and there is no comparison at all with MSW forum in terms of the quality of the content. The quality there isn't really worth the time to "lurk." I can't blame their members for lurking here.

We've had an unprecedented number of new members over the last 48hrs with our admin approving new accounts and answering direct queries.

We'd love to see some of the new blood post their work here or introduce themselves to us. 

Welcome to MSW to the almost 200 new members that have signed in the last handful of days.

:sign:

On 7/20/2018 at 7:57 AM, Jasseji said:

What you mean by "No Tattoo" ?

Not to speak for Popeye but I think he is referring to the clipper ship in full sail that you have to get on your chest before you become a member? No! No, I am just kidding..... he is probably making a reference to Sailors, and Navy “traditions” like drinking, tattoos, swearing, model shipbuilding,  and being a polywog or a shellback, but that’s a whole ‘nother story....!😀

1 hour ago, MSW said:

Welcome to MSW to the almost 200 new members that have signed in the last handful of days.

I'm no cyber-security wizard ("Hey, Boomer!") but there's enough of my old signals intelligence experience left to mention that an inexplicable "unprecedented" increase in traffic in a short period of time is something that warrants further investigation on general principles. Add to that the additional information that they haven't posted any work or introduced themselves and ... well, "you do the math."

It's a jungle out there and this forum does have its adversaries.

• keep-calm-and-remain-vigilant-1.png

3 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

I'm no cyber-security wizard ("Hey, Boomer!") but there's enough of my old signals intelligence experience left to mention that an inexplicable "unprecedented" increase in traffic in a short period of time is something that warrants further investigation on general principles. Add to that the additional information that they haven't posted any work or introduced themselves and ... well, "you do the math."

It's a jungle out there and this forum does have its adversaries.

• keep-calm-and-remain-vigilant-1.png

No, all registrations approved are legitimate. We check email history and IP reputation too. There's very little gets past us in respect of spammers or elements that would want to attack us.

26 minutes ago, James H said:

No, all registrations approved are legitimate. We check email history and IP reputation too. There's very little gets past us in respect of spammers or elements that would want to attack us.

Thanks! That's reassuring. I wouldn't put anything past the "pirates." 

7 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Thanks! That's reassuring. I wouldn't put anything past the "pirates." 

They might try, but I think the "repel all hostile boarders" rule has been working.;)