New to ship modelling? But what do you build first?

MSW

Was surprised not to see the Model Shipways Phantom on the list of beginners kits as it is so heavily promoted (or at least it used to be) as a good model to start with.  It's also still readily available.

In addition to losing Artesenia Latina, Midwest no longer makes model boat kits so some of those are getting harder to find.

Current Build: Chesapeake Bay Flattie by Midwest Products

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff by Midwest Products

4 hours ago, DonInAZ said:

Was surprised not to see the Model Shipways Phantom on the list of beginners kits as it is so heavily promoted (or at least it used to be) as a good model to start with. 

I would second that recommendation, especially with the availability of the practicum here at MSW by Chuck to follow.  They are a vast improvement over the kits instructions and there are several logs to review on it's construction on our site. 

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

• 5 months later...

I am on my first build. I am 80.  I am building

the Amati Chinese Pirate Junk.  The Instructions are terrible.  I used my phone to

translate Italian to English still no help.  If it

was not for Wm500 blog, I would have given up.  Unfortunately the blog is no a teaching one.  Something as easy as building the Rudder

has taken days and I still do not have it right.

I have built a great looking rudder compare with

pictures on the Web.  But I am suppose to

cut groove in keel to fit Rudder pole in.  I did

this and rudder pole is too big.  I thought that

pick wrong size.  They do you anything about

Rudder.  

I had bought the ‘18th Century Long Boat’ by Model Shipways prior to reading some threads on this web site, which convinced me that my first build should be the ‘Lowell Grand Banks Dory’ by Shipways.  This model was a fantastic first build; it was cheap, simple in design, covered a number of needed skills for the future, and allowed me to make a lot of mistakes on a cheap model.  Another great thing about this model were the instructions, they were clear and very helpful and clear.  Also, the build logs and other articles on this Web Site were extremely helpful.  Even with the errors, I was very satisfied with the outcome and enjoyed the build.  I would highly recommend that anyone new to model shipbuilding start with the Lowell Grand Banks Dory!!!!!

Actually, my first wood boat was a Model Shipways solid hull that I tried to build about 20 years ago.  I never got past shaping the hull.  I tried to start it a few times and always got frustrated since I didn’t know what to do or how to finish the hull.  Now with COVID, I started building plastic airplane models again which I enjoy very much.  But I wanted to do something different and thought about wood ship models.  I always like how they looked in stores and really enjoyed them in the U.S. Naval Academy museum.

image.thumb.png.bcda59163468f9033eb4c54650eb9b18.png

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

4 minutes ago, SkiBee said:

This model was a fantastic first build; it was cheap, simple in design, covered a number of needed skills for the future, and allowed me to make a lot of mistakes on a cheap model. 

These are such important words for a beginner to hear! A first model doesn't have to be complex or fancy in order to be both satisfying to build and a good foundation for future projects.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Can i add something into the conversation please 

the link below takes you to the topic A Snapshot of MSW Members' Current Projects, one of the reason i created it was for this very reason.but sadly it has never really taken off, perhaps now is the time to get more members involved, one photo, a link to the build it is referring to and delete and previous posts of the same build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

17 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Can i add something into the conversation please 

the link below takes you to the topic A Snapshot of MSW Members' Current Projects, one of the reason i created it was for this very reason.but sadly it has never really taken off, perhaps now is the time to get more members involved, one photo, a link to the build it is referring to and delete and previous posts of the same build

I'm on hiatus until a large parcel turns up from Italy. 😆

10 hours ago, James H said:

I'm on hiatus until a large parcel turns up from Italy. 😆

im sure you have plenty to do😁

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...

Experience/Thoughts from a New Ship Builder:

My very first ship build was the plastic Revell USS Constitution 1:196 Scale (completed). This was a challenging build even though it was a plastic kit. It was challenging because being from the Midwest, I knew absolutely nothing of ships. I think one of the most important skills I learned from this build was the concept of rigging. I probably spent as much time on the rigging as I did the rest of the boat. Either way this got me really interested in age of sail boats. 

Although I really enjoyed building the USS Constitution, there were not many options for age of sail ships in the plastic variety. I started the larger Revell USS Constitution 1:96 (abandoned) but quickly lost interest. I spent a lot of time painting parts and quickly realized that although painting is fun, it was not overly challenging nor a major area of interest. I enjoyed the "build" not the "paint". 

This led me to endeavor down the road of wooden ship models. I felt that with wooden ships it was much more about the "build" than the "paint". I also noticed immediately that there were many more options for ships in the wood category than in the plastic.

My very first wood ship build was the Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat 1:48 Scale (MS1457) (completed). I purchased this kit because Model Expo offered a kit that included "everything you need" including the starter set of tools. I quote this because it was far from the truth in my opinion. I figured with it being small and having a starter kit, that it meant it was a starter boat. Many frustrations and learning experiences with this build. I later found out it was considered a more "advanced" or "expert" level kit because of it's size. I found this frustrating because if this was an advanced boat kit, wouldn't the builder already have the starter set of tools they sell with it?? Either way I did finish the build and was very happy with it. 

After travel for work gave me an opportunity to see the Cutty Sark and the USS Constitution in person, my interest in the hobby was supercharged and I decided that I wanted to build a gun ship. So I acquired Model Shipways Rattlesnake US Privateer 1:64 Scale (MS2028) (abandoned, for now). I assumed being a larger ship this would be easier to build than the longboat. I got discouraged in the build primarily due to the daunting size of it. Being much larger also meant much much more details and many many more parts. I got the framing built up and got close to the planking steps but I think I began to realize I was way over my head on this build. Even though I completed the longboat, my skills were not where they needed to be for a build like the Rattlesnake. So this project has sat collecting dust.

After the attempt on the Rattlesnake, my enthusiasm for the hobby was crushed and I have spent the last couple years on other hobbies (wood turning). 

I am now in the process of moving and I will be moving back to an apartment and I will not have the space or location to continue with wood turning and my hobby space will be greatly limited. As such, I have decided to go back to wooden ship models but I decided to go back to the beginning to build up my skills. So I am returning to the hobby with an absolute beginners mindset, although I did acquire quite a few tools for the hobby so I am well set to resume/restart.

As a fun small project prior to moving and getting settled into my new place in a week, I have been working on a ship in a bottle. Just a small basic USS constitution kit I found on Amazon. But I have already purchased my next ship kit. I noticed that Model Expo has begun a shipwright series geared towards brand new builders. As I understand it, the series is designed to walk you through the learning process where each ship in the series builds upon the skills acquired on the previous build. This to me sounds like a perfect path to skill building. There are only 2 ships released in the series so far but I hope that by the time I complete them, the 3rd one will be released.

My next "first" build will be the Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 Scale (MS1470). I only purchased the kit and the paint this time. However this kit does have a starter tools kit that can be purchased as a bundle. But since I already have the tools, I didn't see the need. If you're starting from scratch, this set makes sense to get the starter tool kit in the package as it is truly a starter kit. I have opened the box and that is about it. I want to get setup at my new place before beginning. The kit is very basic and I think it will be a very easy build. But I look forward to it as I believe it will provide a good foundation for the next build. This dory does not have a mast so it's just the hull, but seems like a good first step as I will relearn building the hull and basic planking. 

When this is done, I plan to move on to the 2nd ship in the shipwright series which I was just recently released. The Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale (MS1471). This kit has a single mast and sail and will involve some basic rigging. It appears to be the next logical step in the learning process.

I do intend to start and maintain build logs on each of these builds. I think keeping the logs will not only help me to share knowledge and learning lessons along the way, but I feel it will help reinforce my own knowledge. 

I do apologize for the length of this post, but I felt I should share it to this thread because the purpose of this thread is to help other new builders to avoid the exact issue(s) that were mentioned that I experienced myself.

On 7/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, mtaylor said:

As an old tech writer, I'd add <B>5B.  READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AGAIN AND FOLLOW THEM THIS TIME!"  You'd be surprised at how many people read tech manuals over,toss it aside, and then wonder why they blew up the equipment.

Something I learned years ago "When all else fails, read the instructions"

2 hours ago, Zack Soderquist said:

I spent a lot of time painting parts and quickly realized that although painting is fun, it was not overly challenging nor a major area of interest. I enjoyed the "build" not the "paint". 

The painting process is part of the building process.  Agreeably, early on it is just a matter of applying paint and giving it color.  Later on it becomes:  what to paint and what to leave natural, what type paint, what color (for instance, there are a bazillion shades of red), how to get the perfect finis, and so forth.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

2 hours ago, Zack Soderquist said:

My very first wood ship build was the Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat 1:48 Scale (MS1457) (completed). I purchased this kit because Model Expo offered a kit that included "everything you need" including the starter set of tools. I quote this because it was far from the truth in my opinion. I figured with it being small and having a starter kit, that it meant it was a starter boat. Many frustrations and learning experiences with this build. I later found out it was considered a more "advanced" or "expert" level kit because of it's size.

Not size, but complexity.  It involves single layer planking that you can see both inside and outside.  The planking job must be perfect and that only (usually) comes with practice.

Stick with it and enjoy the process.  The hardest part of shipmodeling is what you are working on right now.  It takes all your attention and skill to get it right.  That which you finished yesterday is mastered and behind you (particularly the ones you had to do 2 or 3 times because you dropped the part on the floor, never to be seen again...except maybe your foot):default_wallbash:.  Those things you need to do tomorrow are nothing more than a vague cloud of endeavor that will plague you at a future date.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello, and thanks for this informative article!  I am a rank beginner, and my first choice was going to be the Mantua Achilles (I love the way the ship looks, and the rigging, etc), but after reading your blog, and some other missives about the inherent dangers of starting above my skill level, I am now thinking the BlueJacket Yankee Hero would be a better choice, and could teach me some basic skills before attempting a more complex model.  Thanks!   (And any thoughts on what other models I should try, after the Yankee Hero, before tackling the Achilles?)

For something different, yet beautiful - check out the Billings Oseberg ship kit.  I viewed a couple logs on this, and have purchased the kit for my 'stash' of retirement projects.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

17 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

For something different, yet beautiful - check out the Billings Oseberg ship kit.  I viewed a couple logs on this, and have purchased the kit for my 'stash' of retirement projects.

Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm newly retired (as of last week) so I'm very motivated to get started.  I ordered the Yankee Hero, but I'm going to check out the Billings also!

• 1 year later...

Here’s my story. I have been building plastic and balsa airplanes as far back as I can remember. My father was a true craftsman building R/C planes and I learned a lot from him. Over the years though, I yearned to build a wooden POB or POF ship. Back in the mid 70’s I bought a Cutty Sark (I forget the manufacturer), anyways with my meager and limited skills I tried to build this ship and failed miserably. So I shelved the idea of wood ship models and concentrated on R/C planes. Fast forward to 2020 and I was having a conversation with Nic of Bluejacket fame (he’s been a good friend for quite a few years), and he turned me on to this site. To say I was blown away is an understatement! There are so many talented builders and information and how-to’s, it was mind numbing. After reading so many inspiring build logs, I honed in on Chuck’s offerings (I also have 3 Model Shipways kits, which are Chuck’s designs). After reading about his Medway Longboat, I decided this was the place to start, and I’m not disappointed. I loved the lines and the support that is offered by those who went before me, which is truly amazing and appreciated! 

So some 40 years later, I started on my desire to build a wooden boat/ship. I’m currently on/off working on a Syren Medway Longboat and I’m just amazed with the results. While I know some skills are needed and more need to be developed, the design also contributes greatly to success. So while I believe there are many very good kits out there, I love Chuck’s approach to make modelers develop skills that greatly improves building skills. I’ve built a lot of kits in my time, but ship modeling building is on a different level that I’m enjoying to the max. So my experiences so far is with Syren Ship Models (I have Cheerful waiting in the wings), and has been my to go source. I also look forward to building my Model Shipways kits. Those are the only 2 vendors at this time I’ve gotten items from, but I’m eyeballing some from Vanguard Models as Chris’s approach are very unique. 

Attached are a few Medway pictures.

Best Regards …. Rick

CEE76D7E-A18C-4F1F-8CBD-92816DF3AF89.jpeg

731855E7-3180-4508-8E89-64D9901B5078.jpeg

8151AFF3-1DCF-4ED9-8336-C27DF8BE196E.jpeg

FAD70575-F709-4B70-A321-266B3492FF95.jpeg

F8F572F4-8384-43AA-A00E-935F0A4E892F.jpeg

90EE4F4F-4652-4FE7-8D3B-EB0FC78F16A4.jpeg

Edited by Freebird

2 hours ago, Freebird said:

To say I was blown away is an understatement! There are so many talented builders and information and how-to’s, it was mind numbing.

Based on your photos, I believe I can safely say that you have joined the ranks of those doing the blowing away!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you Chris, much appreciated! I have learned so much from this site. One piece of sage advice I believe was from Chuck, take your time and treat each piece/part as its own project. Never thought of modeling in that fashion and it’s making me a much better builder. 

Best Regards …. Rick

Edited by Freebird

Your model is a testament to your abilities as well as what a top quality, well designed, kit can yield.   Kudos to you and Chuck both.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 7 months later...

I'm 73 and embarking on my first model, the Red Baron by Bluejacket, and having a fun time, along with moments of frustration and exasperation.

I'm going to stick with modeling for many reasons, from therapeutic to aesthetic. I do wish I had found modeling earlier in life ,but grateful of its'discovery later in life. What is a good model to progress to after the Red Baron? Are novice Vanguard models good?

• 2 months later...

The tools I use most are a scalpel, with a #11 blade, a self-healing mat, a couple pairs of long tweezers, a pin vise (micro drill) w/ micro bits, needle nose pliers, diagonal cutters, a couple different scales, drafting triangles and sand paper.

If you are kit building, you don’t need the triangles.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 months later...

So, here I come in, just taking a break from rigging my very first ship-model.

I came from a background of plastic modelling and - most intensly - sculpting historical miniatures in 1/72 for some time, but also fantasy.

Working as an atrs and crafts teacher, I love making and therefore had been on the lookout for  "my" niche in modelling - until I struck gold with modelships. So, I got started, enthusiastically.

Over the last two years, I've built the Mantua President. It took me so long as I managed not only to squeeze my fabulous children #2 and #3 in this time frame, but also the renovation of our new house which I was very much involved in.

I've throughout had great support from the local shipwrights, who very much encouraged me to most of all just finish that thing.

This model had much light, but also deep shadows for me. Light: It has been fun to built and does make a nice decorative ship in the end. I've learned extermly much with this build and also got to know my preferences in building and historical area. That IS quite something. And, best of all, I'm just about to finish that thing. :)

Shadow: I was slowed down mostly due to the manual and the factthat my cat at one point declared the large plans of the set as his loo. Without the large plans, it has been a real drag, as it misses crucial information and features photigraphs of the poorest qualitiy you can think of.

Rigging drove me downright crazy and I now settled for maing a "simplified" version, just to get it done.

I'll then start my next build right away: The Vanguard HM Cutter Alert. Flipping through the manual and rummaging through the box brought tears of joy to my eyes.

My adivce to fellow newbies would therefore be: Mostly, don't let your cat use your plans as their loo. Nothing good ever comes from that.

Still, I'm loving this hobby and am more than happy to have found it!

• 3 months later...