A little disappointed book from a cursory look through appears very technical. Not what I expected. Only paid 9 bucks and free shipping so not a total loss. Will use it as much as I can though. No rigging for clipper ships but I will still use it. Hope this helps.

Two masts done and working on the Third. Waiting for the Underhill book to arrive for help with the rigging. So plan to start doing ratlines after all the masts are finished. Awaiting for my delivery from Model Expo for more chains. 

20190308_102247.jpg

20190308_102259.jpg

20190308_100323.jpg

20190308_100333.jpg

Take your time with the rigging. It can prove frustrating and is certainly a challenge. There are enough people on here who have given very good input regarding this subject and I would urge you to hop over to the rigging section in the forum here and have a read. 

All in all she is looking nice and sleek and makes me look forward to doing this build in the future.  

I have started tying the ratlines on the foremast and also started to build the spanker boom. Started with 5/16 inch dowel and placed it in my drill and sanded to the appropriate shape. Then added the side pieces for the fork.  I have also started a new build The Golden Swan Ship in a bottle. Something to take my mind off tying ratlines.20190324_170402.thumb.jpg.e169638c2c194fed1eb482b63e72e40a.jpg

20190323_120609.thumb.jpg.885753d793de47d8c87e3ddfb4b7ff1c.jpg20190323_120617.thumb.jpg.18cc3e873f41cf67225e416cee281453.jpg20190324_170114.thumb.jpg.0a4ea87d6155ff3b2829859f0ab982d0.jpg

Short update, I have been tying ratlines for what seems months. Anyway as this was my first attempt I have learned valuable lesson for future builds. 1 Do not add any yards prior to tying ratlines, 2 Don't add any additional rigging prior to tying ratlines. 3 Always keep some strong medication clase at hand and 4. Always close the door and turn up the radio so the Admiral doesn't hear me cursing like a sailor when I drop tools or have trouble tying the ratlines. Anyway I have finished the fore mast and mizzen mast and am halfway done the rear mast on them starboard side. There is definitely a learning curve. I actually see a difference from the fist ratlines to the ones on the rear mast.20190407_222453.thumb.jpg.848bc7ba1e82d330145644384022e7c5.jpg20190407_222441.thumb.jpg.07c9ee35515c56daf48692700924c805.jpg 

Al,

Get yourself some white glue.  Mix the glue with water in about a 50-50 mix and brush the ratlines.  You can then use a small tool (a nail is what I've used) and give the rats a nice, gentle, downward curve.  But to test first as not all threads are equal.

On 4/8/2019 at 12:51 AM, mtaylor said:

Al,

Get yourself some white glue.  Mix the glue with water in about a 50-50 mix and brush the ratlines.  You can then use a small tool (a nail is what I've used) and give the rats a nice, gentle, downward curve.  But to test first as not all threads are equal.

Good tip Mark. 

Thanks right now things are at a stand still. Hope to get back soon. Weather is too nice to be cooped up in doors. Golfing Beach and lawn care eating up my free time as well as back to Physical Therapy for my hip replacement last year. 

14 hours ago, Cuda1949 said:

Weather is too nice to be cooped up in doors. Golfing Beach and lawn care eating up my free time

Apart from the golfing the same goes for me mate. 

So my wife and I went away for a Christmas visit with friends. Our grandson house and dog sat. So what a surprise to come home and find my Cutty sark out of the building cradle. My granddaughter moved my work station and slightly damaged the rear spanker and bent a few spars, Quick fix and now she owes me big time. Gotta lover her shes grandpops baby ( 19 YRS old) So after fixing the minor issues I started the running rigging for the rest of the ship.

20191205_170306.jpg

20191205_170257.jpg

Just blown the dust off my copy of the Longridge book, now there you go, that seems to be a comprehensive definitive thesis on the rigging of his famous rendition.

The model used to be in London's Science Museum; shame it's gone. I think you can count the photo's of it online on one finger!

Ok I am about to carve the figure for the fore of the ship. I really have no idea haw to accomplish this. Would it be easier to carve it or shape it from plasticine? Any idea accepted.  

Thanks

On 12/20/2019 at 12:40 PM, Cuda1949 said:

Ok I am about to carve the figure for the fore of the ship. I really have no idea haw to accomplish this. Would it be easier to carve it or shape it from plasticine? Any idea accepted.  

Thanks

I would try my hand at carving it, always good practise. I am guessing you have drawings for it? Look forward to seeing how it goes. 

You may be able to modify a plastic model figure to suit. There's a large range to choose from in the model railway world. Whatever you try, I look forward to seeing how you get along.

It’s a matter of personal taste.

I like carving.  I didn’t know that I did until I tried it.

Many people like sculpting.  I have heard that sculpey is really easy to work and has minimal shrinkage when baking.  I have the tools and the sculpey, but I haven’t tried using them.  I am going to try it out on my next model.

Either way, at worst you are only out a little bit of time and material if the first attempt doesn’t come out right.

If you’ve never tried carving, I would encourage using the learn to carve tutorial here.  It helped me tremendously.

Thanks for the tips. I might try to carve it first to see if it comes out ok. I haven't carved anything other then some hulls for my ships in bottles and a Santa Claus I made for my wife many years ago. I will keep you posted. Hoping to get back to work tomorrow on the rigging. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Enjoying your progress. I noticed your building 'stool' set-up.....and had a wave of the terrors. I do hope everything is lashed down firmly; wouldn't want the obvious to happen as you get absorbed in all that rigging.

Actually I have to be very careful as this is a temporary holder for the ship. I am looking for a special piece of wood to mount the ship on. It is fairly stable. Thanks for the concern,

Nice build. The clippers were beautiful ships!

You mentioned the "Underhill book." Did you get "Masting and rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier" by Harold A. Underhill? It has very detailed descriptions of the masting and rigging of clippers. However, one thing about it really bothers me. He has excellent drawings, but the publisher has scattered them more or less randomly through the text. And the references in the text refer to "Plate ??" and do not give the page numbers! It does have a list of plates after the contents, so you can jump back and forth and eventually find the drawing the text is referring to.

I know it may be an anathema to some, but the Hackney book on how to build the Airfix Cutty Sark gives a very methodical build sequence including most of the rigging and gives suggestions of scale cordage which can be used to interpret any other scale you may choose. It could clear elements of confusion.

8 hours ago, Dr PR said:

Nice build. The clippers were beautiful ships!

You mentioned the "Underhill book." Did you get "Masting and rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier" by Harold A. Underhill? It has very detailed descriptions of the masting and rigging of clippers. However, one thing about it really bothers me. He has excellent drawings, but the publisher has scattered them more or less randomly through the text. And the references in the text refer to "Plate ??" and do not give the page numbers! It does have a list of plates after the contents, so you can jump back and forth and eventually find the drawing the text is referring to.

Yes I am using that and some plans from Building a Clipper Ship. 

6 hours ago, shipman said:

I know it may be an anathema to some, but the Hackney book on how to build the Airfix Cutty Sark gives a very methodical build sequence including most of the rigging and gives suggestions of scale cordage which can be used to interpret any other scale you may choose. It could clear elements of confusion.

Unfortuantely I do not have the Hackney Book but will see if I can find it on ABE.Books  Thanks for the input.