Cutty Sark by Cuda1949

Ok I am about to carve the figure for the fore of the ship. I really have no idea haw to accomplish this. Would it be easier to carve it or shape it from plasticine? Any idea accepted.  

Thanks

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

Cutty Sark 1:75

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

SIB Pride of Baltimore II

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

It’s a matter of personal taste.

I like carving.  I didn’t know that I did until I tried it.

Many people like sculpting.  I have heard that sculpey is really easy to work and has minimal shrinkage when baking.  I have the tools and the sculpey, but I haven’t tried using them.  I am going to try it out on my next model.

Either way, at worst you are only out a little bit of time and material if the first attempt doesn’t come out right.

If you’ve never tried carving, I would encourage using the learn to carve tutorial here.  It helped me tremendously.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks for the tips. I might try to carve it first to see if it comes out ok. I haven't carved anything other then some hulls for my ships in bottles and a Santa Claus I made for my wife many years ago. I will keep you posted. Hoping to get back to work tomorrow on the rigging. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

• 3 weeks later...

Back at it working on the rigging slow work.

20200113_121956.jpg

20200113_121952.jpg

Edited by Cuda1949

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

Actually I have to be very careful as this is a temporary holder for the ship. I am looking for a special piece of wood to mount the ship on. It is fairly stable. Thanks for the concern,

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

Nice build. The clippers were beautiful ships!

You mentioned the "Underhill book." Did you get "Masting and rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier" by Harold A. Underhill? It has very detailed descriptions of the masting and rigging of clippers. However, one thing about it really bothers me. He has excellent drawings, but the publisher has scattered them more or less randomly through the text. And the references in the text refer to "Plate ??" and do not give the page numbers! It does have a list of plates after the contents, so you can jump back and forth and eventually find the drawing the text is referring to.

I know it may be an anathema to some, but the Hackney book on how to build the Airfix Cutty Sark gives a very methodical build sequence including most of the rigging and gives suggestions of scale cordage which can be used to interpret any other scale you may choose. It could clear elements of confusion.

8 hours ago, Dr PR said:

Nice build. The clippers were beautiful ships!

You mentioned the "Underhill book." Did you get "Masting and rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier" by Harold A. Underhill? It has very detailed descriptions of the masting and rigging of clippers. However, one thing about it really bothers me. He has excellent drawings, but the publisher has scattered them more or less randomly through the text. And the references in the text refer to "Plate ??" and do not give the page numbers! It does have a list of plates after the contents, so you can jump back and forth and eventually find the drawing the text is referring to.

Yes I am using that and some plans from Building a Clipper Ship. 

6 hours ago, shipman said:

I know it may be an anathema to some, but the Hackney book on how to build the Airfix Cutty Sark gives a very methodical build sequence including most of the rigging and gives suggestions of scale cordage which can be used to interpret any other scale you may choose. It could clear elements of confusion.

Unfortuantely I do not have the Hackney Book but will see if I can find it on ABE.Books  Thanks for the input. 

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

17 hours ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

the yards "braced" to one side or the other or are they square to the centreline?

They are braced square to the centerline.

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

• 1 month later...

Okay back at it. Today I started building my life boats using basswood that I shaped sanded. I am in the process of planking them. I plan to cover the tops with white canvas material and then mounting them on the ship. I also built the braces or stands for the lifeboats as well as a jig for bending the planks. I have also continued doing the running rigging, I learned a valuable lesson from this to have everything done on the deck prior to rigging the ship. 

20200228_153644.jpg

20200228_153651.jpg

20200228_153704.jpg

20200228_153722.jpg

20200228_154912.jpg

20200228_154923.jpg

20200228_153628.jpg

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

• 1 month later...

Finished the three life boats and sewed covers on top to replicate canvas covers. Lesson learned do all your deck work first the attach your rigging. Life boats are in place and tied down. Now on to the final running rigging. 

20200331_112015.jpg

20200331_111955.jpg

20200331_112002.jpg

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the running rigging. Over two years so far invested so far. Actually the model is 99% done. All that is left is to make the figurehead and then make a base for the model to stand on. Unfortunately I have to wait to get to the lumber mill to get a nice piece of wood to mount the ship on. 20200410_102242.thumb.jpg.3d67b0752115d395a2c447bd55c3bca5.jpg20200410_102257.thumb.jpg.957e5865b04fd61ba1e70c8b4179675f.jpg20200410_102310.thumb.jpg.8edb9cbdd2a39a33a30d234b8f88ea0c.jpg20200410_102319.thumb.jpg.15da852fd0abfb0e76be43c83fc2bde8.jpg

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

Thanks for the offer and thanks for the kind words but I am staying close to home till everything returns to semi normal.

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

Wow! You have come a long way from the the Opium Schooner! Very impressive!! (Thanks again for sharing the photos, I just referred to them to figure out how one of the stays is placed.)