Kit Manufacturer Links

MSW

Looking for something new to build, but don't know where to start looking? Relax -- we got this for you! Below is a list of manufacturers of wooden model boat/ship kits. Clicking a name will take you to the manufacturer's web site, where you can browse what each is currently offering. This list is current as of 22 July 2018 and will be periodically updated. Don't see your favorite kit maker listed here? Send a PM to one of the mods, and we'll check it out. Don't see your favorite Chinese manufacturer listed here? Then you probably haven't read this post (but please take the time to do so). If you don't see a short description, that means that the manufacturer is one of the better-known companies whose offerings cover a wide range of building methods, skill levels, vessel types, or all of the above. Enjoy!

A J Fisher (USA) -- solid-hull kits of early American sailing craft
Amati/Victory Models (Italy)
Artesania Latina (Spain) -- popular manufacturer of a range of ships from beginner to expert.
Billing Boats (Denmark) -- extensive RC line in addition to static kits
Bluejacket Shipcrafters (USA)
Caldercraft (UK) -- produces the popular Nelson's Navy line of kits

CCV (Italy) -- classic Mediterranean work boats

Chesapeake Light Craft (USA) -- offers several models based on their full-size boat kits
Corel (Italy)
Constructo (Spain)

De Agostini (USA) -- serial parts work kits

Disarmodel (Spain) -- a variety of ship models, other model subjects, and fittings

Dumas (USA) -- known primarily for their RC offerings

Dusek (Czech Republic)
Euromodel   (Italy)

Graupner (Germany) -- known primarily for their RC offerings

Kolderstok (Holland) -- Dutch vessels from the Golden Age of sail

Hachette-Fascicoli (Italy) -- serial parts work kits
Mantua/Panart/Sergal (Italy)
Mamoli (see Dusek)

MarisStella (Croatia) -- many Adriatic Sea sailing work boats

Master Korabel (Russia) -- Russian period vessels
Model Shipways (USA) -- including the designs from Syren Ship Model Company

Modellers Shipyard (Australia) -- models of Australia's First Fleet vessels

Navarino Models (Greece) -- ancient and traditional Greek warships and work boats
OcCre (Spain)

Ship Model Okumoto (Japan) -- fully framed models
Soclaine (France) -- French sailing warships and work boats
Syren Model Ship Company (USA) -- Several kits designed for the experienced modeller. POF and POB.  Aftermarket blocks, ropes and fittings.

Turk Model (Turkey) -- Turkish vessels

Vanguard Models (UK) -- warships of the Royal Navy, designed by Chris Watton

Woody Joe (Japan) -- traditional Japanese work boats in addition to period sailing vessels
Wye River Models (USA) -- Chesapeake Bay work boats

Should point out before anyone gets alarmed that the above list shows only companies that are still doing business in model ships/boats, hence no Midwest Products, Freedomsong Boat Works, Laughing Whale, Scientific, Dikar, Steingraeber, etc.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I have removed Falconet for now.....I am in discussion with other legit MFGs who are telling me that these guys are dirty and have ripped off many of their designs etc.  So for now,  they are off the list.  I am also hearing from other Russiam builders the same is probably true.

So for now....be very leary.

If I may offer a suggestion, it may be an idea to combine this great list, with the current list of banned manufacturers (no links for those ones, obviously), along with the reasons why those manufacturers have been banned (I want to call it Chuck's manifesto, but he's dead right, and we should all follow his sage advice!). And perhaps also, it should be considered that every so many weeks, any extraneous conversation is deleted from this particular thread (ie when a suggestion for an addition, or perhaps a deletion, has been verified and added). These lists should be pinned and available for immediate reference by anyone. Having to wade through pages of conversations (forwards of backwards) dulls the message. Not saying there shouldn't be discussion, but there should be a separate arena for it.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, ragove said:

Does Master Korabel have an English language site?

They don't that I can find.

If you us Chrome, you'll get a pop-up window that asks if you want the page translated.

For IE and Firefox, copy the URL and then open Google.   Right hand side of the Google welcome screen, there's a 9 squares forming a box. 

Click on it and pick traslate.   Paste the URL into the left translate window and it will translate the page. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

12 hours ago, mtaylor said:

They don't that I can find.

If you us Chrome, you'll get a pop-up window that asks if you want the page translated.

For IE and Firefox, copy the URL and then open Google.   Right hand side of the Google welcome screen, there's a 9 squares forming a box. 

Click on it and pick traslate.   Paste the URL into the left translate window and it will translate the page. 

thanks again. Just pulled out the laptop/Firefox and have a nice translated version of the site. i am traveling in a smallish trailer so tend to use the IPad.  Seems there a times when lappy is better.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

Is there a way to break down kit availability by scale? If one were to want to work in say 1:64th exclusively, how would one best find out what models are available in that scale? Or would they have to just go through everyone's site and see what they have in 1:64?

That would a really tough one to do as manufacturers don't stay with on scale. So you would basically have to go through each site.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 11 months later...

Hello

checking this thread, I see that it says Artesania Latina is out of business since 2019.

It seems that they are back in business recently after fixing problems with their production line, I have read that after many complaints from users of their poor manufacturing line in China, they have now fixed these problems and are back in business. His youtube channel is now active and your website

another question

I don't see CAF models, I am trying on their website to find out where they are located and where they ship from, could someone please tell me this.?

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

CAF is, so far, the only legal (ie. non pirated kit manufacturer), based in China. I ordered two kits from them, and while it took a while, received both well packed and in good shape. Their kits are high quality.

3 hours ago, Gus Martinez said:

I am trying on their website to find out where they are located and where they ship from

Hello Gus,

As Ron said they are legal. Also, they have good customer service. The owner is an enthusiast.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

thank you @thibaultron and @bruce d much appreciate

Yes, I read that they are very legal and very good quality products.

What I needed to know is the question of imports to Spain from other countries, sometimes the customs (depending on which country it is) is very hard and the costs of buying outside are very high.

I couldn't find it on your website

With China I don't think there will be a problem, my wife is a fan of Aliexperss...so..., when I decide, I will buy from CAF without any doubt.

thanks again

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

• 1 year later...

Did DeAgostini leave the model ship business? I have a kit that's been back ordered for almost two years now so I check their website every once in a while to see if they're selling it again and when I checked in today their site has completely changed, all the model ship kits are gone and the only thing they seem to be selling is some collectable cars? I had already give up hope on ever receiving the kit so not a big deal, just curious if they've decided to go in a different direction.

They are still in business but I know that their USA website doesn't have a lot to choose from anymore. I don't why though. The UK site looks to be more robust. They also sell as fanhome but limited choices there also.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 6 months later...