Chaperon by Brucealanevans - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48

OK I think I'm done now.

Maybe a bit of touch up paint but I'll wait for that till I have a case.

Here are some pictures.

Final-3.jpg

Final-1.jpg

Final-2.jpg

Final-4.jpg

Final-5.jpg

Final-7.jpg

Final-8.jpg

Final-9.jpg

Final-10.jpg

Final-11.jpg

Bruce,

Congratulations on a truly fine build.  I've been following it and I'd love to build this when I have the skills some day.  I love the little details like the posters and the soot around the grates in photo #9, all the figures, and on and on.

Well Done!

Richard

Bruce:

Congratulations.  Very nicely done. 

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Bruce,

Great looking model and beautifully done!

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Just reread your log, lovely work

I had to giggle to myself over the stern wheel supports mistake, had you not said anything, would anyone have noticed? and im certainly not going to do that on my log, LOL

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Going to take a break for a bit. 

The house is filling up with ships. 

I think I’ll eventually be diving to the bottom of my stack and take on the Confederacy. 

I need something that will take a while to do well and I’m still not anxious to take on a big rigging job. 

I do wish Chuck still had some of the nice figureheads....

• 4 months later...

This article is a life saver!  I’m doing this sane build and your info and photos are fantastic.   I would like to purchase the final build. 

One question as I may have missed. I drilled out the holes for the rudder assembly but can’t find any info showing them or how to build them.  Seems like the directions missed them at least on my instructions.  

So glad I found thus link!   Great work on this build!!!

Dennis 

As I recall the rudders are missing or at least very hard to find in the instructions (no longer have). 

Worth investing in Kurt’s cd of his magazine series. (See further up here)

On 8/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, Brucealanevans said:

I got 5 back issues from Ships in Scale just before they quit, and someone kindly sent me a PDF of the one that was not so available. 

On 8/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, Brucealanevans said:

I got 5 back issues from Ships in Scale just before they quit, and someone kindly sent me a PDF of the one that was not so available. 

On 8/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, Brucealanevans said:

Moving along but my computer with my photo software is at the “doctor” with an uncertain prognosis. 

Hull painted white and rudders completed and shaft holes drilled. 

Waiting for deck paint so may add mud stripe to hull and rudders next after some experiments on painted scrap. 

Also need to decide if I’m lighting this puppy since I’ll want the wiring to come out the bottom to external battery and switch. No deck gluing until then. 

Hi Bruce.  Great work!  Is there anyway to show the bottom with the rudders?  My instructions do not show any reference. Just states to install rudder assemblies but no photo or other info.  

11 minutes ago, Brucealanevans said:

As I recall the rudders are missing or at least very hard to find in the instructions (no longer have). 

Worth investing in Kurt’s cd of his magazine series. (See further up here)

Thanks. I’ll do that

On 2/17/2019 at 2:12 PM, kurtvd19 said:

Bruce:

Thanks for the kind words about the articles.  They are now out of print and there are no physical back issues available from SiS or the NRG.  And yes, they did edit Part 2 and 3 to fit.  There wasn't anything left out but it they moved some shorter stuff into Part 2 to fit and put it into Part 3.  The Part 3 stuff was out of sequence.

I had forgotten about the edits completely until earlier this month when I was working on a PDF Book that will contain the entire series on the Chaperon with all the model building photos in color and it will have extra material that wasn't printed in the magazine series.  I intend to make it available for a very affordable amount (TBD) on a CD or flash drive hopefully sometime in March.

It will be some time before the series will be on a new and final disc of the Ships in Scale CD's we will sell through the NRG Store and the disc will contain only what was published, as it was published, including the goofed up editing. 

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt,

I wound like to purchase the CD or files. 

Regards. 

Dennis