Hello from Tasmania

geoffs

I'm Geoff from southern Tasmania, Australia. Due to a recent down sizing my accommodation, I no longer have a shed full of woodworking tools so I've decided to take up ship modelling. I haven't built a model since I was much younger so expect I have a lot to learn and need something  to practice on. 

I was given an Artesania kit of the Charles W Morgan but thought I needed to start on something a bit more beginner friendly so a friend gave me a Euromodel kit of the Lynd which is definitely NOT beginner level. Still shopping for a good beginners kit.

Regards

Geoff

Kits awaiting build: Charles W. Morgan [Artesania Latina], Skuldelev Viking [Billings], Lyde [Euromodel]

Welcome to MSW... I suggest you read this MSW post if you haven't done so.

•  
Edited by markjay

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Hello, Geoff! Make sure to check out this topic for some advice on beginner models. Also, Modellers Shipyard, who are right across the strait from you over in Oz, produce some kits that fit the beginner parameters mentioned in that topic.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks for the replies. I have read the article on which ship to build, all good advice.

I've pretty much decided on building the Victory Models, 1/64 Lady Nelson as it seems to fit the bill for a beginner, is within the current budget and it's a short drive to go and look at the full size replice in Hobart!

Regards

Geoff

Kits awaiting build: Charles W. Morgan [Artesania Latina], Skuldelev Viking [Billings], Lyde [Euromodel]

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

7 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

G'day, Geoff, and a warm welcome to the forum from over on the mainland.

WARNING: - the Victory models Lady Nelson is not 'our' Lady Nelson ,but a single masted revenue cutter!!

John

Guess I failed my first model builders test - count the masts!

Welcome Geoff to MSW from up north on the big island. 

I also recommend Modellers Central. Have a look at their site (they are situated in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney). They have some good pointers and easy to read plans and videos for each of their models, plus they have helped me out whenever I have needed any assistance on my builds.

Enjoy whatever you decide to build.... it's a great hobby.

Cheers...... Fernando 🍻

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36