Twelve inch to the foot dinghy

Thanks guys, Eberhard you're just going to have to build a boat when you retire.

Out of this world craftsmanship.....

Astounding.....

Very nicely done....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Well, will be retiring to an appartment overlooking the old centre of Valencia - unfortunately not much boat-building space there (but I plan to have a small separate model workshop ) and not so easy sailing off the long open coast there. One needs something sturdy like the Catalan boat in another thread here, if one goes for something more traditional.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Well I tell you what Eberhard, if you ever drop in for a scotch I'll take you rowing or sailing depending on the weather

seriously nice boat Bedford!  well done...........the fittings look awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 6 months later...

It is truly written that a wooden boat will always have work to be done. In my case not a lot although I did recently wash the interior and re-oil it, a very easy task which proves my decision to oil the interior was valid.

I always have trouble stowing the oars when I decide to motor or sail and they generally end up in the way but the other day I came up with a solution. I've made rests for the oars that will slip into the aft most inwale space so I just have to swing the oars astern and drop them into the rest. I'm now just trying to find an easy way to strap them down.

20210505_120822.thumb.jpg.2ea381c5239387a0454b881c122007ae.jpg20210505_120826.thumb.jpg.32bb224f322dd1a8d36d281089e66d2f.jpg

Edited by Bedford

Hi Steve

They are very nicely shaped, remind me of the graceful oarlocks I saw on a Mediaeval long ship build.

What oil do you use inside the hull?

Thanks Mark, I let the job guide the shape and I'm happy with the result.

I use Deks Olje #1 for the interior, all that hoop pine was almost white when I built it but now has a beautiful warm honey colour to it.

166145947_3425007300938047_6465340937008417798_n.jpg.1551f2e1d4cbb8a61bd8167af5376b86.jpg

That looks so nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

42 minutes ago, Bedford said:

Deks Olje #1 for the interior

without the #2 over?

Mark, I bought the #2 but decided it looked so nice with just the #1 that it didn't need the #2 and the #1 is a lot easier to re-finish because it's just a case of wash down and reapply. 

Having said that, if I did another one I might do #2 on the thwarts etc.

Here is an oar rest in place and I found that a simple "postie" rubber band should hold the oar easily and effectively.

DSCF1968.thumb.JPG.db61eb5198312c6f3f165506d901a1aa.JPGDSCF1969.thumb.JPG.c1ed93699cab7796ff88cdc321847efe.JPGDSCF1971.thumb.JPG.db571222461f53a2db37329fb3614dcf.JPG

Wonderful work on the oar rest Steve - elegant and utilitarian at the same time.  And the boat itself is expertly crafted and simply beautiful.  I love it.  I remember seeing it when I was following your 1:8 model build of it (also stunning.)  There is something so appealing and even nostalgic about a small lapstrake boat.  

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Gary, "elegant and utilitarian" is what makes the craftsmanship of old so very beautiful that even a 119 year old tug boat is a thing of beauty (see S.T. Waratah) and something I strive to achieve. I let the function dictate to basic form then fine tuned it to please they eye.

• 7 months later...

A little update on my current situation, as a lot of you know I have finally found a new place to live and it is about 800 metres from the largest salt water lake in Aus. 

My modelling progress has been slow but the "Miss Caroline" model suffered a little damage in transit with the turnbuckles for the stay and stb shroud letting go. This has now been repaired and she is as good as new. No pics because you've seen it.

The full size "Miss Caroline also suffered a little damage during transit in the form of a rope fender which is secured between the mast and stern sheets in transit somehow bailed on its duty allowing the mast and wire rope ends to damage the stern sheet planks. I have since sanded that out and re-oiled the affected timber, again no pics because it's not unlike what you've already seen.

Now onto the new stuff, I joined the Lake Macquarie Classic Boat Association and along with a weekly rowing session in an Oughtred designed "St Ayles Skiff" I am taking part in the restoration of an old wooden speed boat, lapstrake hull, copper nailed and roved and an old Ford V8 to go into her. I've been working on the laid deck consisting of Australian Cedar with Yellow Cedar inlay strips and it's something I've wanted to do for years so I'm really enjoying this little group. I'll make some progress on Royal Caroline in due course.

20220104_100057.thumb.jpg.741eed45f9a8d844b3b213a5d81b05bb.jpg

Ha! I have a story about Australian cedar -- the flooring in our last house was made entirely from it. It's beautiful wood, but it had a lot of knots in it -- like a lot of knots! Unfortunately for those of us of a certain age, with the degraded eyesight that comes with it, and who happen to live in the American South, many of those knots were just the right size, shape, and color to imitate nice, plump cockroaches. I never quite got used to it -- especially since real cockroaches would occasionally turn up to reinforce the similarity.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane