Yes the leather will have to be sealed with dubbin polish and greased with something. The plans call for leathering both yokes, the gaff because it slides up and down the mast and the boom because it's height is set by the tension between the luff and a downhaul that circles the mast to a thumb cleat below the boom on the fore face of the mast. With the boom moving up and down with the setting of the sail it's more convenient to leather the yoke than the mast.

Mark the tack and clew are made off to each end of the boom leaving the foot free while the head is secured along the full length of the gaff.

In the pic above you can see the two empty holes in the gaff yoke and there is a hole through the other end of the spar to tie it off to, the boom is the same.

I still haven't found buoyancy that I'm happy with but I reckon since I'll be sailing her single handed most of the time I'll need a third hand, a way of holding the tiller for a few minutes now and then.

I milled a piece of scrap brass left over from turning another part to make up a sliding jamb, I'll run a line across the boat via the tiller "lock" 

The mill in the first pic is 10mm diam with a 2mm external radius, I used it for the edges of the brass and the fair leads in the though block

20190202_154633r.thumb.jpg.56e6417b9650675cdb92cfa84401c560.jpg

Simple 3 piece brass assy and you can see the fair lead in the right hand block20190203_181321r.thumb.jpg.6aaa638e81b1dca799a21951969a1721.jpg

20190206_135612r.thumb.jpg.fa41fd9bc3cbba03a4d5c4829ca905bd.jpg

20190206_135719r.thumb.jpg.bbd5df3fc45cce6ed6ab06f357105c7d.jpg

20190206_135737r.thumb.jpg.bd633edb425c0b1da352bc18069f0e8f.jpg

Fitted to the tiller, I mounted it on the boat and it seems to work well, the only concern is that the wedge may slide back accidentally causing friction while steering but if that happens I'll slip a couple of magnets into the woodwork to hold it in place.

20190206_140558r.thumb.jpg.277c8ef630f42b584e6f791287891661.jpg

Nice idea. In the old days they seem to have used simple pin in the end of the tiller, around which a rope/the running end of the tackle to support the tiller was laid. Doesn't get the device in the way, when holding the tiller normally, i.e. without the outrigger ?

Edited by wefalck

The tiller is large enough that used with the outrigger stowed my hand will rest over the top and sides without really touching the device.

Posted (edited)

Now I'm guessing that this might be too big of a coincidence to be different boats Steve

IMG_6054x1024.jpg.1d37f19290df699a0f5ff9c832de2de2.jpg

IMG_6055x1024.jpg.4d450710b22f1ee6520f2bf117e0a6fe.jpg

Looks like MSW is way ahead of  Wooden Boat Magazine in the information department about this beauty.

Your boat is absolutely gorgeous Steve.

Michael

IMG_6054x1024.jpg

Edited by michael mott
picture order

Posted (edited)

Nice pick up Michael, indeed, guilty as charged.

Thanks for the compliment Michael, I take that as high praise given the source.

I formed a friendship online with one of the guys from Wooden Boat Magazine and he told me to make sure I submitted Miss Caroline to "launchings" so now a Facebook encounter with a bloke in America has lead to a boat built in Sydney Australia being published in a magazine from Brooklin Maine and seen by a bloke in Edmonton Canada. Small world isn't it!

On another note I've bought my Torqeedo outboard and it's working really well but how to tie an ultra modern motor in with a classic wooden boat?

Well Michael may remember a piece of river red gum I used for the base of my schooner build, I said the timber was so beautiful there was no need for fancy shaping, well I realised I hadn't used any of that wood in my boat so I made the extended tiller handle from it and some left over sitka spruce. I think it ties in very nicely. 

20190227_180918r.thumb.jpg.e3839310381db4dca4bd1177a755215c.jpg

Milling the red gum for the tiller head

20190301_134851r.thumb.jpg.f69be07f4763bc2b906ac6334d0ead97.jpg

I reckon that looks pretty damn good

20190305_133049r.thumb.jpg.fa887c1dc024de11a50577eeb2d709d6.jpg

While I'm proud to have this sticker I'm not sure I want to apply it to the transom

20190301_152737r.thumb.jpg.fda0759d67c6dd0d1dddaa46d4e27696.jpg

Edited by Bedford

Well folks, finally I have sailed Miss Caroline!

I took her to Canberra last weekend and put her in Lake Ginninderra. I had my sons girlfriend at the helm for a while and my son took the pics.

I grant you I need to learn about sail trim but I got her out, about and back. The last pic shows a catamaran, they got there before me but I was rigged, launched and sailing before them and sailed much better than they did but I'd say they were first timers too. I thank youtube and a good understanding of the physics for my better performance!

The pics with the motor down are because I forgot to lift it! Lesson learned - be methodical.

sail1.jpg

sail3.jpg

sail4.jpg

sail7.jpg

sail15.jpg

sail18.jpg

Thanks Mark, the Gunter sloop rig was chosen for it's ability to windward and aesthetics, it just looks right. Having said that I realise it's harder to sail single handed but I'm finding or inventing ways to simplify it.

One thing I found straight away is that by holding the main sheet you can feel when it's pulling well, you don't need to look at it much. The jib on the other hand will require some learning.

There were two old dears out there for a picnic, both in there 80's and the used to sail a lot when younger. They took a keen interest in Miss Caroline and watched me sail her. They gave me a few pointers when I got back.